Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is trading Dennard a possibility?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
dhunt2402 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
A cheap, cost controlled starting quality CB....

No they should absolutely not trade him. Nothing they would get for him would be even close in value.
This.

Arrington is a guy I'd consider moving, but I doubt they can get anything more than a low 6th for him.

It would cost them $1.25m in cap space to trade Arrington. Aint gonna happen.
in 2015, however, there's substantial cap savings.

I think they should try to restructure him, now that the team has that sort of leverage.

There's no restructuring they can do that would help, all they can do is convert base salary to bonus money, and the bonus money is the problem. He could take a straight pay cut and it still wouldn't help, since the liability is largely bonus money.
...Thanks.
It's a bummer, but thanks.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Richter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Richter wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
dhunt2402 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

No they should absolutely not trade him. Nothing they would get for him would be even close in value.
This.

Arrington is a guy I'd consider moving, but I doubt they can get anything more than a low 6th for him.

It would cost them $1.25m in cap space to trade Arrington. Aint gonna happen.
in 2015, however, there's substantial cap savings.

I think they should try to restructure him, now that the team has that sort of leverage.

There's no restructuring they can do that would help, all they can do is convert base salary to bonus money, and the bonus money is the problem. He could take a straight pay cut and it still wouldn't help, since the liability is largely bonus money.
...Thanks.
It's a bummer, but thanks.

Hey, the good news is, if they did decide to move him and eat the million dollar cap hit this year, they'd save $6.5 million in future salary liabilities that they could use to retain their impending free agents like McCourty. And draft pick compensation could make it worthwhile to eat that dead money.

But yeah, they're probably paying $3.5 million or so this year to their 4th or 5th corner.
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no reason to trade Dennard

ELRammy
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, secondary depth randomly became a strength of ours, lets keep it that way.
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
No, secondary depth randomly became a strength of ours, lets keep it that way.

Yeah like I brought up earlier we have had a weak history of drafting DBs and with DMC,Dennard and Ryan we have three that are starting to show real promise (McCourty obviously more than the others). Why would we trade one of the guys who right now is cheap and growing under our system unlike so many we have drafted before. The Wheatley's and Wilhite's and Dowlings and so on..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:

Thank You. My blood was boiling with the thought of trading him. A quality DB that takes the Pats 100 year to find. no way in hell.
justin_perkins

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way we trade him. He's been a steal due to slipping in the draft. And plus, no way Arrington would make the team over Dennard.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justin_perkins wrote:
No way we trade him. He's been a steal due to slipping in the draft. And plus, no way Arrington would make the team over Dennard.

lol money

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
justin_perkins wrote:

lol money

They wouldn't keep Arrington over Dennard because of his salary.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same as the masses, no way I'd trade Dennard, even for a 3rd rounder. A 2nd I probably would, but there's no way they would get anything higher than a 6th for him. Dennard is young, on his rookie deal, and is making strides every year. I still think he's firmly ahead of Ryan on the depth chart too. He'll be the starter for at least the first 4 games next year, and the Pats might want to play a lot of 4-2-5 next year, so Dennard would still get playing time if Browner took over the #2 spot. Plus, the fact that he was actually drafted by the Pats after all the busts at the position makes me want to keep him even more.

I was a big fan of Dennard coming out of Nebraska. He could have gone in the 2nd round, so getting him so late in the draft was a huge win. Him and Cannon are in the same boat in my mind, and I want to see both on the roster for every minute of their rookie deals.

If anyone were to be traded, it should be Arrington. Though his contract would make it impossible.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
justin_perkins wrote:

lol money

Arrington would have 4,875,000 in dead money. Thats a pretty big reason.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
justin_perkins wrote:

lol money

Arrington would have 4,875,000 in dead money. Thats a pretty big reason.

The dead money is largely irrelevant when you're talking final cuts. Either you take a 3.625M cap hit and keep him on the roster or you take a $4.875M cap hit to keep Dennard (plus Dennard's contract).

The $3.625 is a sunk cost and I'm sure the Pats wouldn't let the $1.25M extra cap hit deter them from keeping Dennard over Arrington if that were the choice.

The Pats have never shied away from eating big cap hits. They carried 21.6M in dead money in 2010 for Springs, Thomas, Warren and Bodden. Keeping Arrington over Dennard (assuming Dennard continues to be the better player) because of salary reasons would be totally contradictory to the past 14 years of roster management.

That said, I don't think Arrington is going to be cut because the team clearly values him a lot. But keeping a guy over a better option simply because he would have a bunch of dead money isn't something the Pats do.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
The Pats have never shied away from eating big cap hits. They carried 21.6M in dead money in 2010 for Springs, Thomas, Warren and Bodden. Keeping Arrington over Dennard (assuming Dennard continues to be the better player) because of salary reasons would be totally contradictory to the past 14 years of roster management.

No, 2010 was the uncapped year, so they cut those players when that dead money would simply vanish into the ether. [As a result of 2010 being uncapped, there was a rule that any players cut in 2009 automatically had their entire remaining cap hit accelerated into that year, which is why Afailius Thomas was uncuttable that season—and he knew it. The Patriots unceremoniously dumped him in 2010, and no one gave him so much as a look after that.]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: