Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is trading Dennard a possibility?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ICB 45

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Is trading Dennard a possibility? Reply with quote

After the signings of Revis and Browner (both what seem to be long-term deals, I think we resign Revis), does this open up the possibility of trading Dennard? There was already some talk of Logan Ryan bypassing him next season and as Dennard currently sits in a jail cell, do you think there is the possibility of trading him to a team in need of a CB?

Dennard could possibly be our #4 CB, but is starter-quality for a lot of teams in this league. He clearly comes with character issues and I'm not sure how he will react to being dropped that low on the depth chart. We might be able to get a mid-round pick for him. Revis-Browner-Ryan-Arrington is a very solid rotation, I think that we have more than enough CB's entering the season.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather keep him as I love how him and Ryan have come along compared to our many misfires in the secondary via the draft. Those two are our young pieces and important depth.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see them play out the year with the guys they have. Dennard isn't a free agent until 2016, Arrington until 2017, and those are the guys at the bottom of the totem pole for me, assuming Ryan doesn't pull a Darius Butler. Better to have that depth when it comes cheaply as Dennard does in case of injury/suspension/regression.

Deadpulse on the sig
PoWww

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see it happening. He's a solid #2 and is on a cheap contract. People forget he played through injuries last season. I don't think Ryan has passed him on the DC yet.
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Logan Ryan hasn't surpassed Dennard then they are evenly set. Dennard battled injuries and the law but both are our best drafted secondary players besides DMC and that's a short list when you think of all the stinkers. Like Dhunt said too much is a good thing with these young CBs with potential. Having them locked up for the next few helps as well. Hope browner and Revis can rub off on the younger players in all the best ways.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We finally have depth at the position. No thanks for me. Remembering Browner is out the first 4, meaning Fonzie will likely start opposite Revis unless Ryan does make a jump, but Dennard is still growing and in a position to improve himself as well.

But yeah, no. I think that depth makes us much stronger then an extra late round pick will.

Deadpulse on the sig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Richter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's young, cost-controlled and has off the field issues that damage his trade value, so no, I don't see him being traded.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd entertain the possibility in 2015 if the Patriots actually sign Revis long-term.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cheap, cost controlled starting quality CB....

No they should absolutely not trade him. Nothing they would get for him would be even close in value.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:

No they should absolutely not trade him. Nothing they would get for him would be even close in value.
This.

Arrington is a guy I'd consider moving, but I doubt they can get anything more than a low 6th for him.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

This.

Arrington is a guy I'd consider moving, but I doubt they can get anything more than a low 6th for him.

It would cost them $1.25m in cap space to trade Arrington. Aint gonna happen.

Deadpulse on the sig
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhunt2402 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

This.

in 2015, however, there's substantial cap savings.

I think they should try to restructure him, now that the team has that sort of leverage.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
dhunt2402 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

This.

I think they should try to restructure him, now that the team has that sort of leverage.

Eh, not really. They'd only save $1.375m on a $4.6m cap hit in 2015. More than $3m in dead money still. They'd only really benefit from cutting him in 2016. Which is kind of annoying, he's not at all worth what his contract is paying him.

Deadpulse on the sig
Richter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

This.

Wouldn't be bad if for no other reason than it gets them out of the last couple years of that contract, but they'd have to eat the roughly $5 million in prorated bonus money that would be accelerated, so they'd end up losing about a million bucks on this year's cap if they didn't take advantage of the June 1st cutoff, which rules out getting a pick in this year's draft. Doubt there are any takers, regardless.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
dhunt2402 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

This.

There's no restructuring they can do that would help, all they can do is convert base salary to bonus money, and the bonus money is the problem. He could take a straight pay cut and it still wouldn't help, since the liability is largely bonus money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: