Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dolphins sign OG Shelly Smith
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngryFinFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Dolphins sign OG Shelly Smith Reply with quote

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter now
Guard Shelley Smith, formerly of the Rams, agrees with Dolphins. 2 years, $5.5m. More Miami OL reinforcements.

Good value signing IMO. Shows he can do well in the run game and we need a guy like him who can get to the 2nd level and make a block.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent signing nice job hickey, young ascending player scheme fit and need.
Fins20??SBChamp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know a lot about this dude. But wasn't he a backup in a bad STL o-line?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good come in and compete for a starting job signing. Cheap enough that it doesn't preclude us from drafting a starter over him. I like it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feel better about getting warm bodies in on this line. @ckparrot thinks hes better suited to LG than where STL played him but I fear we wont see that happen as we cant fesibly start two rookies on the right side of the line?
Belfast Trojans #32 Shamrock Bowl winner 2012 and 2013
EFAF Atlantic Cup Winner 2013
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:

I agree it was a great signing. Maybe my favorite thus far from a value stand point. He represents a clear upgrade to what we have.

Is he a scheme fit, though? I believe STL was a man blocking system, and now hes going to be in a ZBS. Personally, I think more is made of these kinds of shifts, because I think they can be made, they just take a half a season or so to get a feel for such a change. Either way, I am pleased to him on board in Miami.

On a related note, whats with Miami and Stl? We lose Jeff Fisher and Jake Long to them, then we take Brandon Gibson, Cortland Finnegan and Shelley Smith. Too bad we don't play them more often, we seem to have the makings of a rivalry.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:

I agree it was a great signing. Maybe my favorite thus far from a value stand point. He represents a clear upgrade to what we have.

Is he a scheme fit, though? I believe STL was a man blocking system, and now hes going to be in a ZBS. Personally, I think more is made of these kinds of shifts, because I think they can be made, they just take a half a season or so to get a feel for such a change. Either way, I am pleased to him on board in Miami.

On a related note, whats with Miami and Stl? We lose Jeff Fisher and Jake Long to them, then we take Brandon Gibson, Cortland Finnegan and Shelley Smith. Too bad we don't play them more often, we seem to have the makings of a rivalry.

He was drafted by Houston to play in a ZBS. He is definitely athletic enough. Had some injuries early on, but has been healthy for a couple of years now in St Louis.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:

He was drafted by Houston to play in a ZBS. He is definitely athletic enough. Had some injuries early on, but has been healthy for a couple of years now in St Louis.

Right. Of course. Makes sense, and we'll see if he still has the athleticism to play in ZBS. Fingers crossed, but I love the size of the deal. He's a likely starter for a more than fair contract for us. Fat Albert, Pouncey and a man named Shelley. Solid three, and I'd love to see one more added in FA and some options in the draft and I'll feel much better about the unit as a whole than last year. Nice work, Hickey!
Warpticon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:

His athleticism and footwork is why he was rated by PFF as the fourth best run blocking guard in spite of playing only 371 snaps,. He's pretty much the prototypical fit for a ZBS. The question is if he can improve on his pass blocking, whether it's by personal development or by scheme.

The exciting thing about this move is that he potentially adds a new dimension to our offense. It can hardly be understated how our guards' athletic limitations restricted our offensive options last year. Miami was near the bottom of the league in yards on screens, and we all are familiar with the low rate of success on stretch plays. Some of this was due to play calling, but a lot was due to the fact that our guards were mediocre and terrible at pulling. Having somebody on our line not named Mike Pouncey with an aptitude for it opens up a lot of possibilities.
Mercury22

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:

His athleticism and footwork is why he was rated by PFF as the fourth best run blocking guard in spite of playing only 371 snaps,. He's pretty much the prototypical fit for a ZBS. The question is if he can improve on his pass blocking, whether it's by personal development or by scheme.

The exciting thing about this move is that he potentially adds a new dimension to our offense. It can hardly be understated how our guards' athletic limitations restricted our offensive options last year. Miami was near the bottom of the league in yards on screens, and we all are familiar with the low rate of success on stretch plays. Some of this was due to play calling, but a lot was due to the fact that our guards were mediocre and terrible at pulling. Having somebody on our line not named Mike Pouncey with an aptitude for it opens up a lot of possibilities.

Well said. I was discouraged at how much the run game appeared to be abandoned last year. Hard to know if that was a result of Sherman, Philbin or a result of the personnel limitations we had along the line. Either way, Shelley's signing seems to me to signal an acknowledgement that we need to make a better effort at running the ball and that is exceptional news, IMHO.
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Rams fan chiming in, PFF's ranking of his run blocking with the Rams is an inaccurate one. Smith was decent depth but didn't look that good when asked to start.

That all said, we use a PBS that employs a lot of drive blocking and that's not his forte. He's not powerful enough at the point to get much push in the run game. He blocks well on the move so I think he's a much better fit in yall's ZBS.

Could end up being a solid player for you...although he's going to struggle with stronger DTs...especially as a pass protector. He doesn't anchor that well. That all said, I think he's a better player in the ZBS than Chris Williams in any scheme so you guys got him at a discount when comparing it to what Buffalo paid.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pick up, we cant sign All Stars all the time. Should help out and provide depth.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphinemidget wrote:
Good pick up, we cant sign All Stars all the time. Should help out and provide depth.
We said the same thing about Lance Louis last year. Hopefully this kid contributes.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlos2104 wrote:
Dolphinemidget wrote:
We said the same thing about Lance Louis last year. Hopefully this kid contributes.

What the hell ever happened to that guy?
ericsvibe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
carlos2104 wrote:
Dolphinemidget wrote:

What the hell ever happened to that guy?

I remember hearing that he wasn't 100% healthy, and kept getting hurt during practice. Kind of like Patterson.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: