Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Titans sign LB Wesley Woodyard
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are getting pretty much the perfect teammate in Wesley Woodyard. He was a captain for his entire 5 years in Denver. And, this isn't some rookie 1st round QB who gets given a C on his chest for nothing - Wes was an undrafted rookie and was voted a captain by his peers. How many undrafted players in NFL history have been voted a captain their first 5 years in the league?

For all of his fantastic traits, he does have his flaws. He struggles keeping his weight up, and teams victimise him in the run game when he is on the field. He has played as our Nickel LB for a while, but he finally got benched this year because teams would just run down our throat whenever we went to our Nickel.

I think he is a 4-3 WILL that is good in space, but a complete liability in the power run game. He is pretty good on special teams which is always a plus from a LB.

I wish him the best of luck; you are getting 100% effort no matter what.

MUFC OK
TitanSS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he was 5 lbs heavier than his listed playing weight we wouldn't be talking about him being small. In a league that has gone pass first on nearly every team, a 235 lb ILB will be just fine.

Stopping the pass and forcing teams to run is going to be the new way to win ball games. Teams that can't move the ball passing are going to have trouble moving the ball running if they aren't converting 3rd downs.. because they won't be on the field.
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me more about Colin McCarthy.

The only thing I know about him is that he was good his rookie year, but injuries have been a factor.

I was thinking that Denver should trade for him since you guys are switching to a 3-4.
Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im happy with the signing now with the signing off Oher i hope we use the 11th pick on a LB like Barr

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Shaun Phillips: 8 Tackles 5 Assist 1 Sack

Ropati Pitoitua: 9 Tackles 4 Assist 1 Sack
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
You are getting pretty much the perfect teammate in Wesley Woodyard. He was a captain for his entire 5 years in Denver. And, this isn't some rookie 1st round QB who gets given a C on his chest for nothing - Wes was an undrafted rookie and was voted a captain by his peers. How many undrafted players in NFL history have been voted a captain their first 5 years in the league?

For all of his fantastic traits, he does have his flaws. He struggles keeping his weight up, and teams victimise him in the run game when he is on the field. He has played as our Nickel LB for a while, but he finally got benched this year because teams would just run down our throat whenever we went to our Nickel.

I think he is a 4-3 WILL that is good in space, but a complete liability in the power run game. He is pretty good on special teams which is always a plus from a LB.

I wish him the best of luck; you are getting 100% effort no matter what.

As someone who lives in Denver and has watched the Broncos. I've been trying to alert people to this fact. No one seems to care. Alot of people act as if stopping the run is no longer the responsibility of a defense.

We signed a role player to be a starter. I'm beyond skeptical. Might be a great player off the field, but there's a reason why a team on the cusp of a Super bowl didn't make much of an effort to keep one of their defensive captains.

From what I've seen, Woodyard is no better than Fokou or McCarthy. Maybe better in coverage, but a liability against the run.

**RIP Steve McNair**
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much rather have Spikes at 1 yr 3.25mil than Woodyard at 4 mil per year. Say what you want about Spikes against the pass. Woodyard is just as bad vs. the run game.

**RIP Steve McNair**
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
If he was 5 lbs heavier than his listed playing weight we wouldn't be talking about him being small. In a league that has gone pass first on nearly every team, a 235 lb ILB will be just fine.

Stopping the pass and forcing teams to run is going to be the new way to win ball games. Teams that can't move the ball passing are going to have trouble moving the ball running if they aren't converting 3rd downs.. because they won't be on the field.

If he was 5lbs heavier he would still suck at stopping the run. Being 5lbs heavier doesn't automatically make you a better run defender.

Forcing teams to run is a great strategy, but what happens when you then CAN'T stop the run, which has been a problem for 1) Woodyard and the defense's he's played in. and 2) Ray Horton's defensive scheme in general.

**RIP Steve McNair**
TheDeeeeej

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the signing.

But what happened to McCarthy. I always thought he looked good but 2 different coaching staffs seem to disagree.

[Adopt a Titan] [Derrick Morgan] [Robert Johnson]
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:

I don't care about listed weight; never have, never will. All teams (College included) have reasons for lying about listed weight. Woodyard can't keep his weight because he isn't a naturally big guy, hence why down the back end of the year (when all players lose weight) he is a total liability against the run.

Teams aren't stupid - they watch the film, and teams saw Woodyard time and time again get washed up vs power running teams. That said - there is still a role for a player to play LB in obvious passing situations, but I am just not sure that is worth $4 million a year.

MUFC OK
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDeeeeej wrote:
Like the signing.

But what happened to McCarthy. I always thought he looked good but 2 different coaching staffs seem to disagree.

Injury prone.
VY-FTW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titansNvolsR#1 wrote:
TheDeeeeej wrote:
Like the signing.

Injury prone.

Sadly.

He looked like he was going to be something big for us. To bad.

CalhounLambeau on the sig!

Adopt-A-Titan:
-Nate "The Great" Washington
Rec: 12 Yds: 160 TD: 0
-Ryan Succop
FG: 9/11 Long: 47
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that the numbers have come out, unless he's playing at an All-Pro level, the 4th year won't be picked up.

It breaks down to a 3 year, $11M contract including a 750k dead hit in '17 (if he bombs, 2 year, 7.5M contract including a 1.5M dead hit in '16, saving 2.75M on that year's cap).

He'll upgrade the leadership, pass coverage, pass rush, and special teams on the team. Having said that, a guy like McCarthy instantly becomes a favorite at the other ILB spot because of the run D ability they add. Gives you thumper and a floater...

But if that's the case, where does that leave Brown?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
Now that the numbers have come out, unless he's playing at an All-Pro level, the 4th year won't be picked up.

It breaks down to a 3 year, $11M contract including a 750k dead hit in '17 (if he bombs, 2 year, 7.5M contract including a 1.5M dead hit in '16, saving 2.75M on that year's cap).

He'll upgrade the leadership, pass coverage, pass rush, and special teams on the team. Having said that, a guy like McCarthy instantly becomes a favorite at the other ILB spot because of the run D ability they add. Gives you thumper and a floater...

But if that's the case, where does that leave Brown?
Starting next to Woodyard?

Regardless of fit, McCarthy isn't going to win a starting job over Zach Brown. And as choco has hit on, Horton's priority has always been pass rush over run defense, which makes Brown an even more obvious choice.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 12 receptions, 237 yards, 1 touchdown
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
lamont

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:

He'll upgrade the leadership, pass coverage, pass rush, and special teams on the team. Having said that, a guy like McCarthy instantly becomes a favorite at the other ILB spot because of the run D ability they add. Gives you thumper and a floater... But if that's the case, where does that leave Brown?

No offense, but I do not see the love for McCarthy in the run game. He too often got washed up in the run game. He makes too many tackles deep into the second level and he is terrible blitzer. McCarthy is nothing more than a spot starter IMO. People keep trying to make him a starter when he is not one, his ceiling has been met and he is not the answer. He is a special teamer and occasional starter for a game or so in case of injury. JMO.

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lamont wrote:
ragevsuall17 wrote:

He'll upgrade the leadership, pass coverage, pass rush, and special teams on the team. Having said that, a guy like McCarthy instantly becomes a favorite at the other ILB spot because of the run D ability they add. Gives you thumper and a floater... But if that's the case, where does that leave Brown?

No offense, but I do not see the love for McCarthy in the run game. He too often got washed up in the run game. He makes too many tackles deep into the second level and he is terrible blitzer. McCarthy is nothing more than a spot starter IMO. People keep trying to make him a starter when he is not one, his ceiling has been met and he is not the answer. He is a special teamer and occasional starter for a game or so in case of injury. JMO.

Yea I don't get that either. McCarthy is athletic and solid in coverage, but a run stuffer he is not. If anything I think he's very similar to Woodyard. The two of them them on the field together should be a sub-package only used in obvious passing situations

**RIP Steve McNair**

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: