Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will Montgomery released, Kory L to center
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyler735 wrote:
So if I'm understanding this correctly we are taking a turd from one spot and sliding it over slightly and hoping it will be no longer be a turd? Laughing

In all seriousness this move doesn't do much for me. Kory L. looked terrible last season, and sliding him over will likely not do much. I hope we have a backup plan such as the draft if/when this doesn't work out very well for us.
We can't just replace every position on our offensive line in one season. Kory is average, he's a better fit at center because he usually won't have to go straight up with a 300 LB + DL, he'll be able to help our which guard he feels he needs to or he's told to by coaches depending on the match ups.

He's a perfectly fine stop gap player till we find a long term solution. Many have been saying Kory should have been playing center since he got here and we should have gotten a better option at RG in free agency, I guess we tried through the draft but it didn't work out like we wanted to so far with LeRibeus.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
tyler735 wrote:
So if I'm understanding this correctly we are taking a turd from one spot and sliding it over slightly and hoping it will be no longer be a turd? Laughing

In all seriousness this move doesn't do much for me. Kory L. looked terrible last season, and sliding him over will likely not do much. I hope we have a backup plan such as the draft if/when this doesn't work out very well for us.
We can't just replace every position on our offensive line in one season. Kory is average, he's a better fit at center because he usually won't have to go straight up with a 300 LB + DL, he'll be able to help our which guard he feels he needs to or he's told to by coaches depending on the match ups.

He's a perfectly fine stop gap player till we find a long term solution. Many have been saying Kory should have been playing center since he got here and we should have gotten a better option at RG in free agency, I guess we tried through the draft but it didn't work out like we wanted to so far with LeRibeus.

I'm with Tyler735 on this. If we can get a guy who can be our Alex Mack and get him in the 3rd/4th/5th (however it shakes out), I'm fine with that given the moves we've made in FA to cover our bases in the areas we have needs. I have very little faith in Luxembourg as a Center (slightly more than Monty but that's not saying much) as even though he plays with better technique than Monty, he still is very light and that is not going to help him when he has to go 1-on-1 with a 330lb NT.

I like Richburg and hope the Redskins find a way to get him on the team. It starts with the lines fellas. Nothing works unless you're dominant on both sides of the ball at the line.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
mike23md

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
tyler735 wrote:

I'm with Tyler735 on this. If we can get a guy who can be our Alex Mack and get him in the 3rd/4th/5th (however it shakes out), I'm fine with that given the moves we've made in FA to cover our bases in the areas we have needs. I have very little faith in Luxembourg as a Center (slightly more than Monty but that's not saying much) as even though he plays with better technique than Monty, he still is very light and that is not going to help him when he has to go 1-on-1 with a 330lb NT.

I like Richburg and hope the Redskins find a way to get him on the team. It starts with the lines fellas. Nothing works unless you're dominant on both sides of the ball at the line.

That is why you have OG's chip at the NT to give Kory a little leverage.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
tyler735 wrote:

You're not always going to be able to do this. If you have a Center who can handle the NT solo in crucial situations, it helps the line. Additionally, we're not talking about a chip on a pass play (which has its own problems - what if the G is too late on the chip and the NT is passed the 60lbs lighter center?). Try 4th and 1 or 3rd and 1 and the Center has to match up to push the NT backward.

Luxembourg will be fine for a stopgap for a year or two. But you need to think a year or two ahead in order to keep your lines replaced. Otherwise, you end up with a guy getting cut and then trying to find a replacement that offseason that may or may not fit the position and doesn't know your system. Drafting Richburg now will provide the heir apparent when we give Luxembourg the heave-ho in a few years.

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
mike23md wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
tyler735 wrote:

You're not always going to be able to do this. If you have a Center who can handle the NT solo in crucial situations, it helps the line. Additionally, we're not talking about a chip on a pass play (which has its own problems - what if the G is too late on the chip and the NT is passed the 60lbs lighter center?). Try 4th and 1 or 3rd and 1 and the Center has to match up to push the NT backward.

Luxembourg will be fine for a stopgap for a year or two. But you need to think a year or two ahead in order to keep your lines replaced. Otherwise, you end up with a guy getting cut and then trying to find a replacement that offseason that may or may not fit the position and doesn't know your system. Drafting Richburg now will provide the heir apparent when we give Luxembourg the heave-ho in a few years.
Well I certainly have less faith in a rookie 3rd round pick than I do a 6 year veteran. All I'm saying is Kory is our stop gap.

I think next year seems like a better year to take a center in the mid rounds, when we have more draft picks at our disposal. I've never been one to be overly concerned about our offensive line the last few seasons, we both agree that 10 or so of RG3's sacks fall directly on his shoulders. Then, I think we all can agree Lauvao will be an upgrade over Montgomery and we all agree that RG3 will be more mentally ready for the 2014 NFL season, and more mobile.

There aren't any Alex Mack's in this draft, or anyone even close. I think you guys are overvaluing a mid round draft pick and undervaluing Kory L.

As for the 3rd & 1, 4th & 1, that's about leverage. The low man wins, it's always been that way. It doesn't matter if the guy your blocking weighs 30 to 40 pounds more than you as long as you're the low man and you can get underneath him and drive him back.

Also, let's not act like Richburg is some mammoth at the center position. He's slightly under 300 pounds, Kory L weighs about 10 pounds less than him and I'm sure they are having Kory put on weight this offseason and he'll end up weighing 300 pounds or 305 by the time the season starts.

Last edited by turtle28 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why they let J D Walton walk.. I was excited to have him. Maybe he didn''t recover from the broken ankle in Denver . Giants have signed him..
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
I wonder why they let J D Walton walk.. I was excited to have him. Maybe he didn''t recover from the broken ankle in Denver . Giants have signed him..
I honestly don't think they felt he was better than Kory. From what I remember, he was known as the weak link in the broncos offensive line.

Last edited by turtle28 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
MikeT14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
I honestly don't think they felt he was better than Kory. From what I remember, he was knows as the weak link in the broncos offensive line.

Montgomery was rated above him.

- mike23md on the sig!
Brian23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:

Doesn't fit our new offensive game.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeT14 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
I honestly don't think they felt he was better than Kory. From what I remember, he was knows as the weak link in the broncos offensive line.

I can see us drafting a Center.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 20 tackles, 1 FF, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 14 catches, 150 rec yards
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
mike23md wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
tyler735 wrote:

Well I certainly have less faith in a rookie 3rd round pick than I do a 6 year veteran. All I'm saying is Kory is our stop gap.

That's what Tyler735 and I are also saying.

turtle28 wrote:
I think next year seems like a better year to take a center in the mid rounds, when we have more draft picks at our disposal. I've never been one to be overly concerned about our offensive line the last few seasons, we both agree that 10 or so of RG3's sacks fall directly on his shoulders. Then, I think we all can agree Lauvao will be an upgrade over Montgomery and we all agree that RG3 will be more mentally ready for the 2014 NFL season, and more mobile.

Except now you're doing exactly what I said a professional football organization should not. Which is create a hole and try to fill it the same offseason with someone new to the position/organization. If you draft Richburg (just as an example) now, he has one year in your system and if you move on from Kory next year or the year after (then he has TWO years in your system) you can elevate Richburg to the starting lineup. Remember, there is a learning curve for not only your system but also the NFL.

turtle28 wrote:
There aren't any Alex Mack's in this draft, or anyone even close. I think you guys are overvaluing a mid round draft pick and undervaluing Kory L.

Show me where we said that we should draft Richburg and start him over Kory this year. I'll wait.

turtle28 wrote:
As for the 3rd & 1, 4th & 1, that's about leverage. The low man wins, it's always been that way. It doesn't matter if the guy your blocking weighs 30 to 40 pounds more than you as long as you're the low man and you can get underneath him and drive him back.

That's when you're reasonably matched up. Leverage does nothing for you when the opponent has 60 lbs on you.

turtle28 wrote:
Also, let's not act like Richburg is some mammoth at the center position. He's slightly under 300 pounds, Kory L weighs about 10 pounds less than him and I'm sure they are having Kory put on weight this offseason and he'll end up weighing 300 pounds or 305 by the time the season starts.

Kory is officially labelled as 284lbs. Kory also loses a TON of weight in the offseason. He's one of those guys who loses more than most in the offseason. Cooley stated as much last week on his show. He had talked to Kory shortly after Gruden was hired and asked him if he wanted to talk to Jay. He told Cooley he didn't want to see him right then as he needed to gain some more weight before meeting his new coach for the first time. Translation = Kory lost from his 284lbs and Cooley stated he looked like he was down to around 270-275lbs.

Richburg is officially listed at 300 lbs. Which is a full 16 lbs heavier than Kory is officially listed. Which means even if both of them put on 15lbs from their official weight, Kory wouldn't even top 300lbs whereas Weston would be close enough to that 330lb NT's weight. But Kory isn't at his official weight. He's actually lighter right now which means he needs to put on over 20lbs to get close to where Weston's weight starts.

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeT14 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Not possible, Laughing jk

MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
MikeT14 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Not possible, Laughing jk
Even if he was we aren't running that scheme anymore.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 20 tackles, 1 FF, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 14 catches, 150 rec yards
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean Kory loses weight during the season right?

I personally don't see whats wrong in having LeRibeus, Hurt and Gettis as our reserve interior lineman this year again, and Compton as the reserve OT.

Judging by the fact that they haven't made but one signing in free agency to the OL and one cut, makes me think they are the thinking the same way.

I think that when they watched the tape, they thought Monty made some poor pass protection calls, and got pushed back at the point of attack in the passing game.

I think they feel they have a solid group. I'm not going to say they won't look for upgrades in the draft but I don't think it's as high on their priority list as ILB, WR and OLB since they haven't replaced Jackson nor Tapp yet.

Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
You mean Kory loses weight during the season right?

I personally don't see whats wrong in having LeRibeus, Hurt and Gettis as our reserve interior lineman this year again, and Compton as the reserve OT.

Judging by the fact that they haven't made but one signing in free agency to the OL and one cut, makes me think they are the thinking the same way.

I think that when they watched the tape, they thought Monty made some poor pass protection calls, and got pushed back at the point of attack in the passing game.

I think they feel they have a solid group. I'm not going to say they won't look for upgrades in the draft but I don't think it's as high on their priority list as ILB, WR and OLB since they haven't replaced Jackson nor Tapp yet.

During...and in the offseason. Sometimes guys actually lose weight when they are not hitting the weights as much and when they are not eating to bulk up. Its a way to keep their joints fresh as they lose weight to keep pressure off the frame and then bulk that 10lbs or so back up closer to the season.

I agree that ILB,WR and possibly OLB are definitely priorities. But I think the way we're signing players means that we are looking for as much flexibility for our picks as possible given the lack of a first rounder.

Who knows, right? I guess the only ones who truly know are at Redskins Park right now. And I guess we'll find out in May (MAY??!! Shocked ) when the draft happens.

BTW- having the draft in May is stupid. I can't wait that long.

I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT!!

(sorry guys, having a 2.5 year old rubs off on me)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: