Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will Montgomery released, Kory L to center
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc Draper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
MikeT14 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
He has been one of the worst centers for a few years.

Based on his price and last year it was time to move on, but that statement is not true.
Agree. He was a middle of the road center.

Sometimes people think if a player isn't elite that they suck, and that frankly isn't true.

It's either the guy is elite or if he's not, well get rid of him because he sucks and he made a few mistakes throughout the year.

There is such a thing as below average, average, above average and good but not great.

Monty is average

Opinions are like ---holes, we all have one. But I find your contention that he was better than 16 other starting centers or total centers in the league is not one I agree with. In this case I applaud the front office.just heard licht is 270 pounds now. Perhaps he can borrow 30 from Lerib
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
MikeT14 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:

Based on his price and last year it was time to move on, but that statement is not true.

Sometimes people think if a player isn't elite that they suck, and that frankly isn't true.

It's either the guy is elite or if he's not, well get rid of him because he sucks and he made a few mistakes throughout the year.

There is such a thing as below average, average, above average and good but not great.

Monty is average

Opinions are like ---holes, we all have one. But I find your contention that he was better than 16 other starting centers or total centers in the league is not one I agree with. In this case I applaud the front office.just heard licht is 270 pounds now. Perhaps he can borrow 30 from Lerib
He was graded out that way by the same system everyone pointed to which said Trent & Tyler were the best tackle tandem in the NFL, then, Chester and Kory L were two of the worst starting guards in the NFL.

So if you feel that way, then you have to throw out Pro football focus' evaluation of our entire offensive line.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/4/

Pro football focus, which is what everyone used all season long to talk about our OL as a reference had them as the 3rd ranked OL in the NFL last season.

Quote:
3. Washington Redskins (16th)
PB: 4th, RB: 8th, PEN: 3rd

Stud: An All-Pro-(or at least second team)-like performance from Trent Williams (+38.3). He has moments that make you smack your head, but by and large he’ll slow down elite pass rushers and has the kind of athleticism that generates movement whatever scheme you’re running.

Dud: Too many bad days for Chris Chester (-5.5) who continues to baffle with his streaky play.

Analysis: This ranking won’t please many Redskins fans who see the line as the root of their problems. The truth is the Shanahans had the zone blocking scheme working perfectly with huge cutback lanes regularly there for their backs to work with.

Much is made of the hits Robert Griffin III took as if every single one of them must be the responsibility of the line. Well we charged RGIII himself with 10 of those sacks (more than any other player on the team) as the team gave whoever was quarterback ample time to get the job done.

The big question now is what Jay Gruden intends for this line and whether he’ll move to a more power based scheme that could put a number of jobs on the line.
The bolded statement is 100% true as evident by how Kirk seemed to have much more time when he finished the season.

It was really the same amount of time for Rg3, RG3 just didn't get through his progressions, was worried about his knee for the first month of the season and held onto the ball too long.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
MikeT14 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:

Monty is average

He was graded out that way by the same system everyone pointed to which said Trent & Tyler were the best tackle tandem in the NFL, then, Chester and Kory L were two of the worst starting guards in the NFL.

So if you feel that way, then you have to throw out Pro football focus' evaluation of our entire offensive line.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/4/

Pro football focus, which is what everyone used all season long to talk about our OL as a reference had them as the 3rd ranked OL in the NFL last season.

Quote:

Stud: An All-Pro-(or at least second team)-like performance from Trent Williams (+38.3). He has moments that make you smack your head, but by and large he’ll slow down elite pass rushers and has the kind of athleticism that generates movement whatever scheme you’re running.

Dud: Too many bad days for Chris Chester (-5.5) who continues to baffle with his streaky play.

Analysis: This ranking won’t please many Redskins fans who see the line as the root of their problems. The truth is the Shanahans had the zone blocking scheme working perfectly with huge cutback lanes regularly there for their backs to work with.

Much is made of the hits Robert Griffin III took as if every single one of them must be the responsibility of the line. Well we charged RGIII himself with 10 of those sacks (more than any other player on the team) as the team gave whoever was quarterback ample time to get the job done.

The big question now is what Jay Gruden intends for this line and whether he’ll move to a more power based scheme that could put a number of jobs on the line.
The bolded statement is 100% true as evident by how Kirk seemed to have much more time when he finished the season.

It was really the same amount of time for Rg3, RG3 just didn't get through his progressions, was worried about his knee for the first month of the season and held onto the ball too long.

This is why I kept shaking my head when Griff would cause his own sack and people would rant about Polumbus sucking in the GDT. When your OL has no idea where their QB is going to be on a given play, its hard to block your man away from the QB.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
MikeT14

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
MikeT14 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:

Monty is average
He was average in a zone blocking system. He would have been seriously outmatched in our new scheme. It was time to move on. Hopefully he'll get a shot with another zone blocking team.
I'm not denying it wasn't time to move on, but he was NOT one of the worst centers in the NFL the past three seasons.

My sentiments exactly. That JD Walton dude was a starter for a number of years and was definitely worse than Monty. Phil Costa was arguably worse.

Walton
Costa
Scott Wells
the Giants center was pretty bad

etc.

- mike23md on the sig!
Brian23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
MikeT14 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:

Monty is average

Quote:

This is why I kept shaking my head when Griff would cause his own sack and people would rant about Polumbus sucking in the GDT. When your OL has no idea where their QB is going to be on a given play, its hard to block your man away from the QB.

What is ample time? Does ample time take into account a lack of open receivers? What the play being run is? Is it max protect?

Monty was [inappropriate/removed] on calling protections (that's his job in the Shanahan offense, not Griffin). Griffin didn't help himself often but there is no way in hell Griffin was at fault for so many of our sacks, our line was trash playing a drop back game which we did all last year.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
MikeT14 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:

Monty is average

Quote:

What is ample time? Does ample time take into account a lack of open receivers? What the play being run is? Is it max protect?

Monty was [inappropriate/removed] on calling protections (that's his job in the Shanahan offense, not Griffin). Griffin didn't help himself often but there is no way in hell Griffin was at fault for so many of our sacks, our line was trash playing a drop back game which we did all last year.
He was responsible because he didn't check the ball down and yes, he usually had time to, and if nothing was truly there, throw the ball away! I've been yelling at my tv screen for two years for him to throw it away. He never does, he always thinks he can make something out of nothing, in the NFL that's not going to happen all the time.

He was as much as fault as anyone for our passing game not flowing smoothly last year. Everyone knows he missed open wide recovers and didn't check the ball down very often. He really has to learn to see the field better this offseason and to get through his progressions faster.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
broncs4life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he that awful? Would he be good to be the center for Manning this year? I saw that we are gonna meet him soon. I wanna know if that's a good news. Thanks!

Thanks to Delphi83 for the incredible sig and Avatar!
Von Miller 2011 DROY!!!
IT'S MILLER TIME!!
GO BRONCOS!
MKnight82

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncs4life wrote:
Is he that awful? Would he be good to be the center for Manning this year? I saw that we are gonna meet him soon. I wanna know if that's a good news. Thanks!
He's a smart player but not really athletic and undersized. Also he played at Virginia Tech, yuck.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 13 tackles, 1 FF
Jordan Reed - 9 catches, 96 rec yards
Brian23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
broncs4life wrote:
He's a smart player but not really athletic and undersized. Also he played at Virginia Tech, yuck.

Except he's not a smart player. He was asked to do line protections and sucked at it.

Since Manning will deal with those, I'd think, he can be serviceable as your starting Center. But he gets pushed back by DT's one on one like clock work.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncs4life wrote:
He's an average center, plenty good for Peyton Manning.

He's not the most athletic or the biggest center, but he does weigh 305 lbs, it's not like he's skinny - Redskins fans ignore his size and athletic ability.

What he did mess up in last year was some of the protection calls and they led to RG3 getting hit more than he should of by blitzers or by the OL not sliding one way or the other for an overloaded defensive line.

Peyton manning calls his own protections though (unlike RG3) so I don't see that being an issue for you.

Brian23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
MikeT14 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:

Monty is average

Quote:

He was responsible because he didn't check the ball down and yes, he usually had time to, and if nothing was truly there, throw the ball away! I've been yelling at my tv screen for two years for him to throw it away. He never does, he always thinks he can make something out of nothing, in the NFL that's not going to happen all the time.

He was as much as fault as anyone for our passing game not flowing smoothly last year. Everyone knows he missed open wide recovers and didn't check the ball down very often. He really has to learn to see the field better this offseason and to get through his progressions faster.

That has a lot to do with our offense not practicing what to do when its not there. They were taught that the play will always work if executed.

His line also sucked.
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
MikeT14 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:

Monty is average

Quote:

...and know how to slide outside the pocket better. Other QBs know how to do this. Griff doesn't unless its a planned roll out.

Brian23 - what I'm talking about was only about Polumbus. Where Polumbus would ride the guy 10 yards into the backfield. When you grade your OTs on each play, this is a WIN. I saw Griff, instead of sliding to the right because the DE was now 10 yards diagonally behind him to the right, he waited in the pocket, danced around and then moved backward...right into Polumbus' man. And then everyone in the GDT thread erupted with the "Polumbus sucks" "Cut Tyler" posts when it wasn't Tyler's fault for the sack. Same with other OL on the line. I'm not saying our interior OL wasn't warmed over poo. It was. My focus was strictly on Polumbus (everyone's favorite whipping boy).

Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:

That has a lot to do with our offense not practicing what to do when its not there. They were taught that the play will always work if executed.

His line also sucked.

There is some truth to this. We didn't practice the scramble play. That still doesn't take away from the fact that many times Griff caused his own sacks.

Same OL and yet Cousins was sacked at a lower rate than Griff (and Cousins was doing it with an OL that was less "fresh" than Griff had). Because while Cousins is inferior to Griff in many respects, he knows how to go through progressions and knows how to slide and knows where the OL are on a play.

Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncs4life wrote:

Monty is a smart guy. However, you will need to have a Guard to help him on every play.

tyler735

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I'm understanding this correctly we are taking a turd from one spot and sliding it over slightly and hoping it will be no longer be a turd? Laughing

In all seriousness this move doesn't do much for me. Kory L. looked terrible last season, and sliding him over will likely not do much. I hope we have a backup plan such as the draft if/when this doesn't work out very well for us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: