Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots HAVE signed Brandon Browner
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
The best part of this signing is that, with a now relatively well-stocked secondary, I can be spared saying "Who??" and running to google when the Patriots announce some DB I have literally never heard of as their second round pick.

If they don't draft a defensive lineman early this year, I will break something.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
Done deal per ESPN.

Still, I'm not sure where he fits. SS is the only possible position but I'll gladly take another championship caliber player on defense.

He doesn't have to be SS

I think he's going to play a lot of the "Big Nickel" role that Belichick has been trying to fill forever. He might play outside CB at times, play the slot sometimes and play some safety. I think it depends on how Harmon/Ryan develop and the overall chemistry of everyone back there.

I mentioned before that I think he's going to play that big nickel role, I just happen to consider that a de facto safety position. I do think he'll be on the field quite a bit when he's not fulfilling the duties of a corner.

I've been thinking the same things here. His roles will be various and he will see the field a lot but I still think Dennard sees the majority of the outside corner snaps across from Revis (that is so fun to say).

His roles in no particular order should be:
-In the box safety
-TE lock down (Graham, Gates, Davis)
-Outside matchups against physical number 2's (Boldin)
-The big nickel BB loves oh so much

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
The best part of this signing is that, with a now relatively well-stocked secondary, I can be spared saying "Who??" and running to google when the Patriots announce some DB I have literally never heard of as their second round pick.

If they don't draft defensive and offensive lineman early and often this year, I will break something.

FIFY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_GET_SAX wrote:
Richter wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:

If they don't draft defensive and offensive lineman early and often this year, I will break something.

FIFY

Nah, I don't care if they draft an offensive lineman early. There's some good depth in this draft in my estimation, and I think they can plug holes there effectively with mid and late round picks, moving Cannon and lower tier free agent signings. Not that I'd be opposed to an early offensive lineman selection, but if they don't make one, I'm not breaking something.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XSF or Zach Martin are the first round guys I would take on the offensive line, neither will make it to us tho. I like a few guys later on the offensive side too like Dozier,Bitino and most importantly Weston Richburg. On the defensive side early I'd take Donald or Hageman, again don't see those two falling but like DaQuan Jones and Zack Kerr later. Want a few picks to solidify youth and depth along the trenches.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
I_GET_SAX wrote:
Richter wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:

FIFY

Nah, I don't care if they draft an offensive lineman early. There's some good depth in this draft in my estimation, and I think they can plug holes there effectively with mid and late round picks, moving Cannon and lower tier free agent signings. Not that I'd be opposed to an early offensive lineman selection, but if they don't make one, I'm not breaking something.

I don't see any way they don't hit DT at least twice in this draft. Once early and once later. They have no starting talent other than Kelly (assuming Wilfork is gone) and the backups are fringe NFL players at best. I'd think they will add a veteran or two as well (probably not very good ones)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did we get any details on how much of the contract is guaranteed money?

I'd like to think we were able to keep the guaranteed portion low due to his past troubles and his 4 game suspension.
Nihc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who covers who when both Collins and Browner are out on the field?

2013 Adopt-a-Patriot - Tommy Kelly
Tackles: 19 | Sacks: 1.5 | QB Hits: 5 | TFL: 1 | Fumble Recoveries: 1
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nihc wrote:
Who covers who when both Collins and Browner are out on the field?

Theoretically this would open up Collins to more pass rushing opportunities in 2 LB sets with Mayo playing the underneath zone and Browner locking down TE's with Hightower on the sideline.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
VTPatsFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan06 wrote:
Did we get any details on how much of the contract is guaranteed money?

I'd like to think we were able to keep the guaranteed portion low due to his past troubles and his 4 game suspension.

I think...if I remember correctly...

I saw on the ticker that he'll go through his suspension...but then forfeit his next four paychecks after that. Which made NO sense.
darnell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Hawks fan I am really pleased for Browner. He was a good Seahawk, came from the bottom and worked really hard; a lot of us felt bad for him over the recent suspension and missing out on the Super Bowl, but thankfully the NFL decided to be reasonable and reinstate him and he is getting some nice money.

Browner may carry a rep on the outside as a villainous character but his teammates and coaches love him and he was never a problem in the community. Obviously the PEDs were bad decision, but if you read up on the most recent suspension it is really BS on the NFLs part.

As a football player I still think that he is a solid starting caliber CB in this league. Now, you guys know the Pats D better than I, but I just do not see him as a safety in any way - never played it, his hips and change of direction aren't good enough and I doubt he has the eye discipline.

IMO CB is where you want him. He is a beast on the outside , basically turning the first 5 yards into a street fight. He also has really good long speed on go routes and good ball skills; double moves are tough on him as he has so much body to stop and start with. On the corner he might be the best in the league at blowing up those quick screens to WRs and is a great all around tackler, he also lurks in zone waiting to blow up out routes from the slot WR.

I love this fit in the contest with the Broncos as I came away from the Super Bowl thinking that their offense was soft and didn't want to match that violent level of play. Browner's unorthodox style of playing CB was the personification of that Seattle level of violence and anger on the field and a tone setter for the turnaround of the program. Revis on D Thomas, Browner is very capable of jamming up J Thomas if that is the plan - makes for a tough matchup.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darnell wrote:
As a Hawks fan I am really pleased for Browner. He was a good Seahawk, came from the bottom and worked really hard; a lot of us felt bad for him over the recent suspension and missing out on the Super Bowl, but thankfully the NFL decided to be reasonable and reinstate him and he is getting some nice money.

Browner may carry a rep on the outside as a villainous character but his teammates and coaches love him and he was never a problem in the community. Obviously the PEDs were bad decision, but if you read up on the most recent suspension it is really BS on the NFLs part.

As a football player I still think that he is a solid starting caliber CB in this league. Now, you guys know the Pats D better than I, but I just do not see him as a safety in any way - never played it, his hips and change of direction aren't good enough and I doubt he has the eye discipline.

IMO CB is where you want him. He is a beast on the outside , basically turning the first 5 yards into a street fight. He also has really good long speed on go routes and good ball skills; double moves are tough on him as he has so much body to stop and start with. On the corner he might be the best in the league at blowing up those quick screens to WRs and is a great all around tackler, he also lurks in zone waiting to blow up out routes from the slot WR.

I love this fit in the contest with the Broncos as I came away from the Super Bowl thinking that their offense was soft and didn't want to match that violent level of play. Browner's unorthodox style of playing CB was the personification of that Seattle level of violence and anger on the field and a tone setter for the turnaround of the program. Revis on D Thomas, Browner is very capable of jamming up J Thomas if that is the plan - makes for a tough matchup.

Yea Rodney Harrison was here, we are used to the "everyone else hates him but we love him" type of player.

As far as your safety comment, no one here is really saying that. We don't expect him to ever play a straight up safety role, we just don't really expect him to play outside corner all the time either. Alfonzo Dennard is a really underrated corner and would be a waste keeping him (and even Logan Ryan) away from the field that much, especially when Browner can be used in so many different ways. Really, what you are reading is our expectation that he play this big nickel LB/S hybrid role that BB has been trying to implement since John Lynch came here for TC and then retired. He has thrown Lynch, Tank Williams, Adrian Wilson, and a few others at it but nothing has quite stuck. Basically the role would be an in the box defensive back that would hold some LB responsibilities such as manning up on TE's (which is what we really envision Browner doing). Browner will see the field in a ton of different roles and should definitely be listed simply as a DB from now on. He probably wont be the everydown outside corner. Every time he goes out there it will be in a specialized role for that particular package to manage potential mismatches the opposing offense might be trying to create such as a TE in the slot, a big #1 receiver in the slot, a receiving RB, etc etc etc.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is his first major contract isn't?
_Oypus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im like kinda sort yea drunk right now but yea this rules.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaZX6R wrote:
This is his first major contract isn't?

Yeah it is, you worried about him 'Haynesworth-ing' it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: