Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mack rant
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCBrowns21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BwickBrownie wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:
Not going to lie, I'm a bit annoyed. I don't begrudge a guy trying to get paid or looking to go to a potentially more stable franchise, however 10 mil for a Center?

Dude should take the money and run. If someone wants to throw him that type of jack long term, then I'm ok with letting him walk.

This is where I'm at as well... logically, I don't fault him for examining all his options. The Browns, not Mack nor his agent, left a window open for him to leave by only transition tagging him.

The thing that is really getting under my skin is his agent flaunting that he's going to do every thing in his power craft a contract that bypasses the tag, almost like he's taunting the Browns.
Also, let's not pretend that the Browns didn't want to sign him to a (most-likely) lucrative extension and simply resorted to the transition tag... Mack had to have turned down an extension and the Browns simply used a fair tactic to retain him. So, in the end, Mack is saying that he wants out because he had an opportunity to re-sign and chose not to.

He's allowed to get his pay day and go wherever he wants to do so, and I honestly won't fault him for that (which I have not done one iota with Ward)... but as a Browns fanatic, of course I'm going to take it personally when a player actively tries to find a way out of Cleveland when the team wants him to stay.

Not sure why either of you are annoyed. Browns could have easily used the franchise tag. They didn't and wanted other teams to offer contracts and then they could respond. Feel this is more disrespectful than anything his agent said.

Franchise tag at least says we want you for the year. Transition tag says, we want you, but we'll see if anyone wants you more first. His agent's job is to drum up interest from others and craft the best deal for his client. I could imagine how annoyed and irritated Mack must be with this transition tag. Don't think it means he doesn't want to be here, means he doesn't want the tag.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCBrowns21 wrote:
BwickBrownie wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:
Not going to lie, I'm a bit annoyed. I don't begrudge a guy trying to get paid or looking to go to a potentially more stable franchise, however 10 mil for a Center?

Dude should take the money and run. If someone wants to throw him that type of jack long term, then I'm ok with letting him walk.

This is where I'm at as well... logically, I don't fault him for examining all his options. The Browns, not Mack nor his agent, left a window open for him to leave by only transition tagging him.

The thing that is really getting under my skin is his agent flaunting that he's going to do every thing in his power craft a contract that bypasses the tag, almost like he's taunting the Browns.
Also, let's not pretend that the Browns didn't want to sign him to a (most-likely) lucrative extension and simply resorted to the transition tag... Mack had to have turned down an extension and the Browns simply used a fair tactic to retain him. So, in the end, Mack is saying that he wants out because he had an opportunity to re-sign and chose not to.

He's allowed to get his pay day and go wherever he wants to do so, and I honestly won't fault him for that (which I have not done one iota with Ward)... but as a Browns fanatic, of course I'm going to take it personally when a player actively tries to find a way out of Cleveland when the team wants him to stay.

Not sure why either of you are annoyed. Browns could have easily used the franchise tag. They didn't and wanted other teams to offer contracts and then they could respond. Feel this is more disrespectful than anything his agent said.

Franchise tag at least says we want you for the year. Transition tag says, we want you, but we'll see if anyone wants you more first. His agent's job is to drum up interest from others and craft the best deal for his client. I could imagine how annoyed and irritated Mack must be with this transition tag. Don't think it means he doesn't want to be here, means he doesn't want the tag.

I disagree... I think the transition tag means they want to lock up Mack longterm instead of kicking the can down the road one year with a franchise tag. Hear me out... I understand franchising Mack would all but ensure he's here one more year. But after that year, unless Mack changes his outlook on the Browns, he walks. The way I see it though, the Browns new FO did what they could in a short amount of time to re-sign Mack long-term, he declined to negotiate, and so they took a gamble with the transition tag... they wanted to dangle Mack out there in the hopes that some other team would propose a deal sweet enough for Mack to agree, and then the Browns could swoop in and match the offer. They knew there was the possibility that Mack could get an offer they couldn't match, but still did because the possibility of getting him longterm existed with the transition where it was much much less likely with the franchise.

Mack probably is annoyed with the tag, but I would guess that's just because he's not allowed to walk away scott-free.
big poppa pump

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BwickBrownie wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:
BwickBrownie wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:

I disagree... I think the transition tag means they want to lock up Mack longterm instead of kicking the can down the road one year with a franchise tag. Hear me out... I understand franchising Mack would all but ensure he's here one more year. But after that year, unless Mack changes his outlook on the Browns, he walks. The way I see it though, the Browns new FO did what they could in a short amount of time to re-sign Mack long-term, he declined to negotiate, and so they took a gamble with the transition tag... they wanted to dangle Mack out there in the hopes that some other team would propose a deal sweet enough for Mack to agree, and then the Browns could swoop in and match the offer. They knew there was the possibility that Mack could get an offer they couldn't match, but still did because the possibility of getting him longterm existed with the transition where it was much much less likely with the franchise.

Mack probably is annoyed with the tag, but I would guess that's just because he's not allowed to walk away scott-free.

Yeh....I personally think Mack and his agent are in for a rude awakening. I don't see too many teams breaking the bank for a Center.

I really don't understand the Browns not putting up the small amount of money to franchise Mack as opposed to using the transition tag. ( I believe the difference was a little over a mil)

I also don't mind the idea of working out a sign and trade if the compensation was a 1st round pick.

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN
BwickBrownie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big poppa pump wrote:

Yeh....I personally think Mack and his agent are in for a rude awakening. I don't see too many teams breaking the bank for a Center.

I really don't understand the Browns not putting up the small amount of money to franchise Mack as opposed to using the transition tag. ( I believe the difference was a little over a mil)

I also don't mind the idea of working out a sign and trade if the compensation was a 1st round pick.

I definitely don't see a sign and trade... the Browns want Mack here, and I'm sure they're confident that if he just gives this new regime a chance, they'll show him he can be a winner here.
You may not agree with why I think they used a transition over franchise, but I don't think the extra million is why. I think that Farmer decided to take a calculated risk with the transition because it would give them right of first refusal while also eliciting more bites from other teams. The Browns want Mack long-term and given the scenario, I don't think there was another way to achieve that end without transitioning him (I certainly don't think Mack would have any incentive to continue negotiating with the Browns if they franchised him)
big poppa pump

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BwickBrownie wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:

I definitely don't see a sign and trade... the Browns want Mack here, and I'm sure they're confident that if he just gives this new regime a chance, they'll show him he can be a winner here.
You may not agree with why I think they used a transition over franchise, but I don't think the extra million is why. I think that Farmer decided to take a calculated risk with the transition because it would give them right of first refusal while also eliciting more bites from other teams. The Browns want Mack long-term and given the scenario, I don't think there was another way to achieve that end without transitioning him (I certainly don't think Mack would have any incentive to continue negotiating with the Browns if they franchised him)

I sort of get where your going with this. As I stated, by him having the transition tag and going out and negotiating with other teams, his market value will be set.

And i also believe that there won't be too many teams wanting to pay a Center 10 mil plus a year.

I too believe the Browns would really want to keep him and obviously have the cap space to do so. They have a limit in their minds as to high how THEY want to pay him.

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN
BwickBrownie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big poppa pump wrote:
BwickBrownie wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:

I sort of get where your going with this. As I stated, by him having the transition tag and going out and negotiating with other teams, his market value will be set.

And i also believe that there won't be too many teams wanting to pay a Center 10 mil plus a year.

I too believe the Browns would really want to keep him and obviously have the cap space to do so. They have a limit in their minds as to high how THEY want to pay him.

I think the best way to summarize my view is that the Browns knew Mack and his agent were done negotiating with them, so by using the transition tag, Farmer was hoping to piggy-back on another team's negotiations and swoop in using right of first refusal to sign Mack to that other team's deal. The more I think about it, I realize how much of a complicated, risky, and smart play using the transition tag was. It can bite Farmer in the butt big time if another team and Mack's agent out maneuver the tag, but it could also result in the Browns matching an offer and getting Mack longterm.

I do agree though.. at some point, the Browns have a number and despite their cap-space, they have to be smart. If a team is willing to overpay and break the bank on a center, then that's their prerogative, but the browns are not required to go all in on him. Teams part way with talent all the time because of differences in what they believe is a fair value.
JCBrowns21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BwickBrownie wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:
BwickBrownie wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:

I think the best way to summarize my view is that the Browns knew Mack and his agent were done negotiating with them, so by using the transition tag, Farmer was hoping to piggy-back on another team's negotiations and swoop in using right of first refusal to sign Mack to that other team's deal. The more I think about it, I realize how much of a complicated, risky, and smart play using the transition tag was. It can bite Farmer in the butt big time if another team and Mack's agent out maneuver the tag, but it could also result in the Browns matching an offer and getting Mack longterm.

I do agree though.. at some point, the Browns have a number and despite their cap-space, they have to be smart. If a team is willing to overpay and break the bank on a center, then that's their prerogative, but the browns are not required to go all in on him. Teams part way with talent all the time because of differences in what they believe is a fair value.

So after thinking about it can you understand why Mack's agent might be a bit peeved? Even if he can get a 5 year 60 Mil contract from a championship-caliber team, Browns can still just match it. Mack basically has no control of where he ends up. At least you know you'll be staying and playing only one year with the franchise tag. With the transition tag you could negotiate a great deal and end up being stuck playing for the same team for an extended period of time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCBrowns21 wrote:
BwickBrownie wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:
BwickBrownie wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:

So after thinking about it can you understand why Mack's agent might be a bit peeved? Even if he can get a 5 year 60 Mil contract from a championship-caliber team, Browns can still just match it. Mack basically has no control of where he ends up. At least you know you'll be staying and playing only one year with the franchise tag. With the transition tag you could negotiate a great deal and end up being stuck playing for the same team for an extended period of time.

So Mack and his agent should be mad at the players' union for allowing teams to use the transition tag and barring the use of poison pills in the last CBA. The Browns are simply using an above the table tactic to retain talent. And it's not like the front-office is hard balling Mack.. flying a contingent consisting of the top men in the organization out to Mack's home across the country to talk with him, express their desire to keep him, and their view of how they want to shape the future was not necessary, but they did it out of a genuine desire to negotiate with Mack like a man, and not a piece of property. Again, he can choose to do whatever he wants with his talent, but as a fan of the Browns, I think his agent has not made any qualms over taking a slightly adversarial tone to the whole process, which I feel is unjustified.
big poppa pump

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCBrowns21 wrote:
BwickBrownie wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:
BwickBrownie wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:

I don't feel badly for any1 who is going to make that kind of money. I'm really interested in seeing if there will even be a big offer from another team.

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN
JCBrowns21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big poppa pump wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:
BwickBrownie wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:
BwickBrownie wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:

I don't feel badly for any1 who is going to make that kind of money. I'm really interested in seeing if there will even be a big offer from another team.

Not about feeling bad for him, but I'm talking about the agent, not Mack. The agent made the comment and we don't know if that was in response to a specific question or if he was venting frustrations. Either way, it was a reflection of the agent's ability to do his job (negotiate the best deal for his client), not Mack's desire to be in Cleveland.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCBrowns21 wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:
BwickBrownie wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:
BwickBrownie wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:

Not about feeling bad for him, but I'm talking about the agent, not Mack. The agent made the comment and we don't know if that was in response to a specific question or if he was venting frustrations. Either way, it was a reflection of the agent's ability to do his job (negotiate the best deal for his client), not Mack's desire to be in Cleveland.

Should Mack's agent negotiate the best possible deal? Yes
The Browns are actually helping to facilitate this by giving him LT money when he is a Center.

You are talking about 2 different things. Of course the agent needs to do what's best for his client. If the Browns match his offer, he is still getting paid right?

And why then should I not be annoyed with the fact that his agent is implying he wants to play for another team other than the one I cheer for?

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN
DaWg_LB.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at it as a function of environment....
There are only 2 teams with more cap room than us (Jax and Oak) Neither is a player for a Center (I don't think).....so the agent can nix that "I'ma sculpt a contract the Brown's cant match"....maybe one we WONT match...but not cant....somebody see his agent in public, kick in him in balls for me....thanks much...

Secondly the two teams that seem to be the most major players linked, to Mack are Indy (who signed a center yesterday...) and the Ravens, who I think after Pitta and Monroe are no longer in strong enough financial position to "go there" with us....

I think Mack eventually signs his tender, both sides rock a 1 year, wait and see approach....Mack fits and likes it...Long term next offseason...if not...Franchise and trade...

I like MasterCheddars last post in here....looks like we need to get him on our Front Office negotiating team Laughing

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
BwickBrownie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as Jason LaCanfora annoys me, he brought up a good point... Mack has no monetary incentive to sign the tender anytime soon, and I don't believe he really has to until June or July (if he wants to get paid in 2014). So while I'm not ready to crucify Mack right now, if he has a hissy fit, waits until the last moment to sign, and misses out on all the implementation of a new system over OTA's and preseason meetings, then I'm definitely changing my tune.
End Run

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the only risk he runs by not signing the tender is that the team can revoke it...but that's not going to happen.

Once he signs the tender, he can't negotiate with other teams, so that's why he hasn't signed it yet. I suspect that once all the big FA dollars are spent, and there's really no shot of him going anywhere this year, he'll sign it and be locked in for the year.

It probably wont' be until after the draft, though. When do OTA's start?
BwickBrownie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

End Run wrote:
Yeah, the only risk he runs by not signing the tender is that the team can revoke it...but that's not going to happen.

Once he signs the tender, he can't negotiate with other teams, so that's why he hasn't signed it yet. I suspect that once all the big FA dollars are spent, and there's really no shot of him going anywhere this year, he'll sign it and be locked in for the year.

It probably wont' be until after the draft, though. When do OTA's start?

This was last year's schedule... I'm guessing it will be similar since we have a first year coach...again...
Quote:
First Day: April 1
OTA Offseason Workouts: May 14-16, May 21-23, May 28-31
Voluntary Minicamp: April 16-18
Mandatory Minicamp: June 4-6

I understand why it hasn't been signed yet, but when you get to a point, it'll be clear that if he hasn't signed it he's just being vindictive... hope it won't come to that though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: