Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jason Hatcher signed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slateman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Just read a headline that our offer blew the doors off all others ..WHY? Did we overpay .We did the same thing a few years ago when we signed Bowen .. We must like those X-Boys !

Because we're still the Redskins, regardless of who the head coach and FO are?
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
Just read a headline that our offer blew the doors off all others ..WHY? Did we overpay .We did the same thing a few years ago when we signed Bowen .. We must like those X-Boys !

I didn't want to believe that --but sadly,,,, seems so . Crying or Very sad
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:

1.) We've had FAs come through and even though our money is close they chose to go somewhere else.

2.) Then people complain that we're not doing enough to land FAs and that we need to start offering more than other teams so we can land FAs.

4.) Hatcher had 11 sacks last season. That's more than our entire DL from 2012 and 2013 - COMBINED. I doubt his play is going to drop off that dramatically in the next two years.

5.) It removes a headache from us for 2 games out of the year. The Redskins offensive coaches said that he was one divisional player that caused them the most headaches

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Doc Draper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

I like this signing. Basically swapping out an injured Carriker for Hatcher who is a beast one on one. I can see us having much more 4-3 defense especially in passing situations with a DL of Kerrigan, Cofield, Hatcher, Rak, and then adding in either Jenkins or if we sign Spencer to the mix. This group should be able to get some better pressure on the QB. I still view Baker as a run stopping guy and hope Geathers can develop or at least block a few extra points of field goals for us. Geathers would also be the guy I put right next to our center on field goals and extra points and he is unmovable and we might be able to go a season withoout a block.
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
Slateman wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

I like this signing. Basically swapping out an injured Carriker for Hatcher who is a beast one on one. I can see us having much more 4-3 defense especially in passing situations with a DL of Kerrigan, Cofield, Hatcher, Rak, and then adding in either Jenkins or if we sign Spencer to the mix. This group should be able to get some better pressure on the QB. I still view Baker as a run stopping guy and hope Geathers can develop or at least block a few extra points of field goals for us. Geathers would also be the guy I put right next to our center on field goals and extra points and he is unmovable and we might be able to go a season withoout a block.

Geathers? Unmovable or Can't Move .. Question
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

1.) We've had FAs come through and even though our money is close they chose to go somewhere else.

2.) Then people complain that we're not doing enough to land FAs and that we need to start offering more than other teams so we can land FAs.

[... wha happen'd? ...]

4.) Hatcher had 11 sacks last season. That's more than our entire DL from 2012 and 2013 - COMBINED. I doubt his play is going to drop off that dramatically in the next two years.

5.) It removes a headache from us for 2 games out of the year. The Redskins offensive coaches said that he was one divisional player that caused them the most headaches

What are you, three-ist?! Wink Laughing
MKnight82

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

[... wha happen'd? ...]

We couldn't afford a 3rd point because of Hatcher's contract.

Seriously though this was a good signing.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 9 tackles
Jordan Reed - 1 catch, 4 rec yards, 1 bum hamstring
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

[... wha happen'd? ...]

We couldn't afford a 3rd point because of Hatcher's contract.

Seriously though this was a good signing.

I'll reserve judgment until I see the contract. 4y/$27M looks pretty daunting for a team to give out to a soon-to-be 32 year old.
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

[... wha happen'd? ...]

Yeah...my 3rd GF left me...

No in all honesty I think I accidentally deleted it.

The 3rd point was that all of a sudden now people are complaining because we're spending too much money on a player right after complaining we're letting guys get away because we're not paying them enough.

But yeah...that looks like a drunk posting. And no I was as sober as a church mouse when posting that.

Thai is a very embarrassed monkey. Embarassed

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Dashing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hatcher had 11 sacks his body isn't torn down unlike biwen hatcher can be a difference maker and bowen is not
Brian23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Base salary: $1.5 million (fully guaranteed)
Cap hit: $3.75 million

Base salary: $3 million
Cap hit: $5.25 million

Base salary: $6.5 million
Cap hit: $8.75 million

Base salary: $7.5 million
Cap hit: $9.75 million

And interesting

Quote:
There's no guaranteed money after the first year and with his base salary escalating by a considerable amount in the third year, the Redskins could cut him and he would count $4.5 million against the cap (unless they can spread it out over two years at $2.25 million per).

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/6166/hatchers-contract-favorable-for-redskins
Brian23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now my math is probably wrong, but we could technically have him on a 3 year 13. 5 million dollar deal (only keeping him for 2 though). That's not to bad, right?
markrc99

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but here's the part you left out:
"Hatcher received a $9-million signing bonus and has $10.5 million guaranteed."

The $10.5M that's guaranteed is the bonus and his 1st year salary. So, that's the least he'll cost over the span of time he's on the team.
markrc99

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote: "Now my math is probably wrong, but we could technically have him on a 3 year $13.5M deal (only keeping him for 2 though). That's not to bad, right?"

I think your math is exactly right, if he plays for 2 seasons his overall cap hit will be $13.5M, which is nearly $7M per... does that seem cheap? I would consider that to be a - should factor big - type salary, wouldn't you? Now, it seems you're also saying the hit would include dead money into 2016. You know, I don't know how prudent it is to purposely do that. London Fletcher is counting $2.1M against this year's cap, which was easily foreseeable and avoidable.
Brian23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:
Brian23 wrote: "Now my math is probably wrong, but we could technically have him on a 3 year $13.5M deal (only keeping him for 2 though). That's not to bad, right?"

I think your math is exactly right, if he plays for 2 seasons his overall cap hit will be $13.5M, which is nearly $7M per... does that seem cheap? I would consider that to be a - should factor big - type salary, wouldn't you? Now, it seems you're also saying the hit would include dead money into 2016. You know, I don't know how prudent it is to purposely do that. London Fletcher is counting $2.1M against this year's cap, which was easily foreseeable and avoidable.

It'd be 7 million per year of him being here but you're having 4 and change against the cap for 3 years. That leaves you room to spend 3 more on someone else. Sure, if you cut him on the 3rd year you've got 4 million in dead cap but you'd also free 4 million up from his deal.

You're always gonna have dead cap in some way, its just best not to accumulate a lot of it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: