Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vince Wilfork wants out of New England
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCRED

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:
tyler735 wrote: "He turns 33 this season. He is coming off a injury filled season in which he played ONLY 4 games last season. ... He is the definition of CLASSIC REDSKINS SIGNING."

Laughing Yeah, and he weighs how much? Probably no one actually knows for sure. New England is hard-balling him, holding him until there isn't any market, then they'll release him. Hatcher or perhaps Buffalo's Kyle Williams would be better choices. A guy deep in Green Bay's rotation who can push the pocket is C.J. Wilson. Corey Wootten won't be cleared until July, so he may be willing to sign a one-year deal. At OT, a player a lot like Bruce Campbell is Charles Brown. He too came out in 2010, pretty raw & struggled w/injuries early on. Got his chance at LT last year and at times played well. After struggling vs Robert Quinn, he lost his starting position to rookie Terron Armstead. Brown still has upside and the Redskins could move him to the less demanding right side. Has more experience than Campbell & could probably be signed to a similar contract.

I agree that in FA as well as the draft there will be some good DE's available late. We really need more playmakers early in the draft and can add some depth to our Lines once the big names like Peppers and Wilfork are corralled.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyler735 wrote:
In one word...NO!

He turns 33 this season.

He is coming off a injury filled season in which he played ONLY 4 games last season.

He wants out of New England because he doesn't want to play for less money

He is going to want a ton of money from us if we sign him.

He is the definition of CLASSIC REDSKINS SIGNING.

Basically he is old, past his prime, coming off an injury filled season, and wants a big pay day.

Really let these things sink in for a minute. This has the makings of a bust signing in the mold of an Albert Haynesworth type fiasco. I like this youth movement we have gone towards this offseason. We have signed players under 30 that are just hitting their prime to reasonable contracts. I would rather we stay with this trend.

I'm not opposed to signing Hatcher or Smith for the D-line as they will be much cheaper than Wilfork, and aren't making a huge stink about money/coming off an injury. I'm aware those 2 are old as well, but they have proven they still can play at a high level this past season.
1. He's to 32, not going to be 33 till November... Not that it makes a big difference - just saying

2. It depends on the contract. If it's going to cost a lot, obviously them it's a no

3. We have no clue what kind of pay cut the Pats wanted him to take. If it's huge, wouldn't you want out as well?

You have to put yourself in the players shoes sometimes. Yes it's a business, but someone like Wilfork is still among the best nose tackles in the NFL, even if he's not 100%.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
skinsfanLA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
The new format is stupid anyways. If you're not someone that lives on FF and has the ability to monitor 70 page threads you have no idea what is going on.

At the very least each new signing should be a new thread, this consolidated business is trash.

Good point. I'll start one for each of the major ones. I was trying to avoid 3 threads opening by three different people about the same FA signing. I'm trying to keep it down to a reasonable amount of threads given that Webby likes us to keep duplicate threads from opening and the same discussions in multiple threads.

But yeah, I'll go ahead and open up the threads for each player.

That's all I ask, you're a man of the people Thai

Yeah, sorry. The goal was to foster discussion with one clearinghouse thread. But if its having the opposite effect, I'll rectify it.

Sorry guys. My first FA as a mod. I walk on water when its frozen

You are doing great! Consolidating sounds good but it makes it look like the Skins forum doesn't have a lot going on. It's an odd balance.

Just wait until a week before the draft. From there until about a week or two after the draft.....it can get nutty.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Ahhhh the old "unnamed source". It's been way too long, my very credible friend!
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understood what you were doing Thai. It's a great idea. We don't want multiple threads of the same free agent signings or of any topic at all.

I just thought this was a special case and for something that everyone agrees we need - a "huge" (pun intended) upgrade on our defensive line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
spoiler41

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
The new format is stupid anyways. If you're not someone that lives on FF and has the ability to monitor 70 page threads you have no idea what is going on.

At the very least each new signing should be a new thread, this consolidated business is trash.

I agree 100%. I appreciate the work that people do on this site but it's hard to know what's going on with new signings when you have to go through hundred's of post's to get to something you're looking for in the first place.
Sassan11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this would be a great signing if released. Yea he was injured last year but if he is anything like he was prior to injury we would have a great player on our team. Also in general NT tend to play longer like qbs. Obviously not all of them but Ted Washington played at what people would consider being real old same with Casey Hampton. If he was released and we sign him to a 3 year deal I wouldn't be mad at all.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sassan11 wrote:
I think this would be a great signing if released. Yea he was injured last year but if he is anything like he was prior to injury we would have a great player on our team. Also in general NT tend to play longer like qbs. Obviously not all of them but Ted Washington played at what people would consider being real old same with Casey Hampton. If he was released and we sign him to a 3 year deal I wouldn't be mad at all.
Think of our starting DL:

RDE: Hatcher
NT: Wilfork
LDE: Cofield

Shocked

Talk about a wall!
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Sassan11 wrote:

Shocked

Talk about a wall!

For all of a year or two ...
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think Wilfork is pretty much done ever being the force he once was. What made Vince so unique was how well and athletic he moved for a man of his size. He is now on the wrong side of 30 and torn his achilles at the playing weight of 350lbs. I think signing him would be a major mistake. Not the direction we want to go.

mike23md on the sig!
tyler735

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
I really think Wilfork is pretty much done ever being the force he once was. What made Vince so unique was how well and athletic he moved for a man of his size. He is now on the wrong side of 30 and torn his achilles at the playing weight of 350lbs. I think signing him would be a major mistake. Not the direction we want to go.

I agree there are just way too many red flags with him right now. Not worth the risk especially when we have a player thst is on the rise in Baker that showed quite a bit at the end of last season. Would much rather role with Baker at NT with Hatcher/Cofield as DEs
big44dog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Sassan11 wrote:

Shocked

Talk about a wall!

Weren't you talking about how great a December Baker had and he's the future and the new contract was worth every penny? I know Wilforks a great one but it just screams Classic Skins Signing to me. Jason Taylor, Haynesworth, etc. They let Baker develop and paid him like he's gonna have an increased role going forward, why cut him off at the knees?
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big44dog wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Sassan11 wrote:

Shocked

Talk about a wall!

Weren't you talking about how great a December Baker had and he's the future and the new contract was worth every penny? I know Wilforks a great one but it just screams Classic Skins Signing to me. Jason Taylor, Haynesworth, etc. They let Baker develop and paid him like he's gonna have an increased role going forward, why cut him off at the knees?
Yeah good points about Baker, but we shouldn't be in a position of not trying to improve our team just because we re-sighed Baker and signed a starting 3-4 DE (Hatcher). We should always look to improve our team. Whether that's picking up a guy like Wilfork or drafting another DE or NT. Competition brings out the best in everyone and the players should relish that.

I wouldn't advocate giving him a huge deal or trading a high pick for him though like we did with Taylor and Haynesworth.
big44dog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
big44dog wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Sassan11 wrote:

Shocked

Talk about a wall!

Yeah good points about Baker, but we shouldn't be in a position of not trying to improve our team just because we re-sighed Baker and signed a starting 3-4 DE (Hatcher). We should always look to improve our team. Whether that's picking up a guy like Wilfork or drafting another DE or NT. Competition brings out the best in everyone and the players should relish that.

I wouldn't advocate giving him a huge deal or trading a high pick for him though like we did with Taylor and Haynesworth.

That's the thing. If you bring in Vince Wilfork for a visit and tell him he'd have "the opportunity to compete", he's asking his agent to go get the car. That wouldn't be fair to him. Coming off his injury, and with his status, you'd have to give him time in camp to get in shape on his terms. Then he runs out the tunnel opening day and you hope for the best. IMO we don't need that. Don't get me wrong I love Wilfork, he defines force and a dose of "Patriot way" is never a bad thing. Just not for us right now.
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside opinion on Wilfork: His best days are behind him. He's 32 and coming off a ruptured Achilles. Couldn't ask for a better guy in the locker room and in the community, but he's not the guy he was even a year or two ago and it's very much up in the air what he has left to offer. Could be a top 10 nose tackle in the league, could be a replacement level player, or anything in between really. The Pats played him >80% of snaps the last few years before the injury, which probably played a role in him going down tbh, and I don't think it'd be wise to expect him to go back to that level. But as part of a solid rotation, I think he could still be pretty valuable. And if he won't take a pay cut, he's going to be traded (I don't buy the idea that he'll get an outright release, some team with cap space will give up a pick to get him). Could be a nice fit in Washington, would put him back in a 3-4 where he had his best years.

Deadpulse on the sig
Blknite01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No team should give him more than a year contract, low guaranteed.

Hope we draft a NT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: