Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Bears Offseason [Mock Draft Added]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Via Rich Campbell...

Quote:
RDE/SLB only positions at which Bears' starting defense has gotten younger. Maybe safety, DT in the draft? Will be interesting to monitor.

This is pretty interesting and points to us trying to properly rebuild this team through the draft…Houston at 26 years old is obviously a long term answer with a 5 year deal but the rest of the guys we have brought in don’t really fit long term plans…there 1-3 year stop gaps who will allow us to build a D the right way...

The other thing this means of course is that we can go BPA throughout this year's draft.

Others have talked about it, but it's incredibly hard to get younger through FA as most teams try to lock up their good young players make it through FA. I think you're absolutely right in that what Phil was really talking about was investing in and making a commitment to building the defensive depth through the draft and supplementing with veterans to provide competition where necessary.

Phil has set himself very well in the draft. DT, CB, and Safety are all possibilities (but not imperative) at 14.

Exactly. We had several rookies starting last year who were nowhere near ready. That isn't to say they won't be solid players, even guys who develop into faces of the franchise, but a vet simply makes less mistakes than most rookies. Let the young guys learn the NFL game, get experience by subbing in, and get direction on the field from the team leaders.

Young starting lineups are developed through the draft, not FA. This will be a 2-3 year project IMO, but with decent drafts we can a young core to just add rotational pieces or depth through FA, maybe a big name signing once every few years.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Sign/Sign

OT Eben Britton
QB Ryan Fitzpatrick

Draft

1[14] S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix [Alabama] 6'1" 208lbs.

The worst position on the Bears is arguably the safety position. With the additions to the DL that group is better than last year and not bad overall, RE: Young, DT: Paea/Draft Picks, NT: Ratliff, LE: Houston. Compare that to FS: Conte, SS: Mundy with M.D Jennings waiting in the wings. The Bears have legitimate starting DLmen in Young, Houston and Ratliff and they do not have an NFL level safety on the roster. The Bears want to be more aggressive on defense and to do that you need a safety that can cover 1 on 1 in cover 0 and a safety that can cover a ton of ground playing deep zone in the cover 1. I like Calvin Pryor, but I think that Clinton-Dix has more range and cover ability than Pryor and would be better being the deep safety in the middle. Clinton-Dix might not be the flashiest hitter, but he is well respected by scouts and he is well coached.

2[51] DT Kelcy Quarles [South Carolina] 6'4" 300lbs.

The Bears need a 3 technique tackle and they need someone with the size to hold up against the run. Emery's comments have hinted at his desire to get bigger and longer on the defensive line. Quarles is coming off of a 9 sack season in the SEC and he combines good size with explosive athletic ability and developing pass rush skills. Quarles can come in and compete at 3 technique and play heavy snaps in a rotation. The Bears were rumored to have shown a lot of interest at the combine in Quarles.

3[83] CB Pierre Desir [Lindenwood] 6'1" 198lbs.

The Bears need to seriously invest in developing the long term replacement for Peanut Tillman. Desir has a ton of athletic ability and played well against improved competition at the Senior Bowl. Desir has starting talent, but he needs time and the Bears have the luxury, baring injuries, to give him that time.

4. DT Caraun Ried [Princeton] 6'2" 302lbs.

Phil Emery has shown that he likes to double up at positions of need and add a lot of young talent to the group. Reid might have played in the IVY league and there are questions about his level of competition, but athletically he can play at the NFL level and he has a nice burst off the line. Reid had a solid Senior Bowl and he fits the prototype that the Bears have used at the position. Reid might not have the size to be a full time player, but he could be a strong rotational player that comes in on 3rd down and rushes the passer.

5. C Bryan Stork [Florida St] 6'4" 315lbs.

With Garza and Boggs back at C the immediate need at C may not exist, but the Bears still need a C of the future and that will consist of a competition between Stork and Boggs. Stork has the size and the top level experience to be a starter in the NFL.

6. CB Walt Aikens [Liberty] 6'1" 205lbs.

Another small school player with a lot of physical upside that can be developed while playing special teams. Aikens is another small school guy who flashes at the Senior Bowl and he is another guy with a lot of potential.

6. RB Storm Johnson [UCF] 6' 210lbs.

The Bears need some cheap RB depth that will run hard in short yardage situations and play on special teams, a couple of things that Michael Bush did not do last season. Johnson runs hard and violent and he can play on special teams.

Depth Chat

QB: Cutler, Fitzpatrick, Palmer
RB: Forte, Ford, Johnson
FB: Fiammetta
WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Wilson, Hixon, Weems, Tolliver
TE: Bennett, Rosario, Onubon
LT: Bushrod
LG: Slauson, Brown
C: Garza, Boggs, Stork
RG: Long
RT: Mills, Britton

RE: Young, Bass, Scott
DT: Quarles, Reid, Collins
NT: Ratliff, Paea
LE: Houston, Washington, Lane
SLB: McClellin, Senn, Franklin
MLB: Williams, Bostic
WLB: Briggs, Greene
CB: Tillman, Jennings, Desir, Hayden, Frey, Aikens
FS: Clinton-Dix, Conte, Jennings
SS: Mundy, Martin

P: Butler/Way
K: Gould
LS: Mannelly
neo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Re-Sign/Sign

OT Eben Britton
QB Ryan Fitzpatrick

Draft

1[14] S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix [Alabama] 6'1" 208lbs.

The worst position on the Bears is arguably the safety position. With the additions to the DL that group is better than last year and not bad overall, RE: Young, DT: Paea/Draft Picks, NT: Ratliff, LE: Houston. Compare that to FS: Conte, SS: Mundy with M.D Jennings waiting in the wings. The Bears have legitimate starting DLmen in Young, Houston and Ratliff and they do not have an NFL level safety on the roster. The Bears want to be more aggressive on defense and to do that you need a safety that can cover 1 on 1 in cover 0 and a safety that can cover a ton of ground playing deep zone in the cover 1. I like Calvin Pryor, but I think that Clinton-Dix has more range and cover ability than Pryor and would be better being the deep safety in the middle. Clinton-Dix might not be the flashiest hitter, but he is well respected by scouts and he is well coached.

2[51] DT Kelcy Quarles [South Carolina] 6'4" 300lbs.

The Bears need a 3 technique tackle and they need someone with the size to hold up against the run. Emery's comments have hinted at his desire to get bigger and longer on the defensive line. Quarles is coming off of a 9 sack season in the SEC and he combines good size with explosive athletic ability and developing pass rush skills. Quarles can come in and compete at 3 technique and play heavy snaps in a rotation. The Bears were rumored to have shown a lot of interest at the combine in Quarles.

3[83] CB Pierre Desir [Lindenwood] 6'1" 198lbs.

The Bears need to seriously invest in developing the long term replacement for Peanut Tillman. Desir has a ton of athletic ability and played well against improved competition at the Senior Bowl. Desir has starting talent, but he needs time and the Bears have the luxury, baring injuries, to give him that time.

4. DT Caraun Ried [Princeton] 6'2" 302lbs.

Phil Emery has shown that he likes to double up at positions of need and add a lot of young talent to the group. Reid might have played in the IVY league and there are questions about his level of competition, but athletically he can play at the NFL level and he has a nice burst off the line. Reid had a solid Senior Bowl and he fits the prototype that the Bears have used at the position. Reid might not have the size to be a full time player, but he could be a strong rotational player that comes in on 3rd down and rushes the passer.

5. C Bryan Stork [Florida St] 6'4" 315lbs.

With Garza and Boggs back at C the immediate need at C may not exist, but the Bears still need a C of the future and that will consist of a competition between Stork and Boggs. Stork has the size and the top level experience to be a starter in the NFL.

6. CB Walt Aikens [Liberty] 6'1" 205lbs.

Another small school player with a lot of physical upside that can be developed while playing special teams. Aikens is another small school guy who flashes at the Senior Bowl and he is another guy with a lot of potential.

6. RB Storm Johnson [UCF] 6' 210lbs.

The Bears need some cheap RB depth that will run hard in short yardage situations and play on special teams, a couple of things that Michael Bush did not do last season. Johnson runs hard and violent and he can play on special teams.

Depth Chat

QB: Cutler, Fitzpatrick, Palmer
RB: Forte, Ford, Johnson
FB: Fiammetta
WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Wilson, Hixon, Weems, Tolliver
TE: Bennett, Rosario, Onubon
LT: Bushrod
LG: Slauson, Brown
C: Garza, Boggs, Stork
RG: Long
RT: Mills, Britton

RE: Young, Bass, Scott
DT: Quarles, Reid, Collins
NT: Ratliff, Paea
LE: Houston, Washington, Lane
SLB: McClellin, Senn, Franklin
MLB: Williams, Bostic
WLB: Briggs, Greene
CB: Tillman, Jennings, Desir, Hayden, Frey, Aikens
FS: Clinton-Dix, Conte, Jennings
SS: Mundy, Martin

P: Butler/Way
K: Gould
LS: Mannelly

Like the draft a lot. Only thing is Rosario was released. Not trying to Donnie Downer your draft. Would you take a chance on Dominique Easley if he was there in the 3rd rd?

Adopt-a-Bear
Jon Bostic LB Florida

Last edited by neo on Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neo wrote:
Like the draft a lot. Only thing is Rosario was released. Not trying to Donnie Downer your draft. Would yo

Then he was brought back again…dude just won’t leave lol.
blair18

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure about Clinton Dix, think it has to do with the success of DBs coming out of Alabama lately. They all seem to disappoint. Its put a bad taste in my mouth. Do you think if we traded down, we could nab Pryor or would you rather just stay at 14 and go for Donald?

Thanks to Lionsmack for the sig
neo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blair18 wrote:
Im not sure about Clinton Dix, think it has to do with the success of DBs coming out of Alabama lately. They all seem to disappoint. Its put a bad taste in my mouth. Do you think if we traded down, we could nab Pryor or would you rather just stay at 14 and go for Donald?

My ideal draft scenario is to trade down and still be able to get Hageman. Maybe add a 3rd or if we are lucky, maybe a late 2nd. That might give us a chance to draft Bucannon and someone like Kelcy Qualrles in the 2nd/3rd rounds. I know Donald is the consensus, but Hageman is a beast and the way it sounds it looks like he might fall in the draft. Hageman and Quarles to me would outweigh Donald and someone later in the draft in my opinion. Maybe take Dezmond Southward FS Wisc in the 4th.

Adopt-a-Bear
Jon Bostic LB Florida
blair18

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could get with that, I like Quarles. Hageman is just a mystery. He could be an absolute monster. It makes me think of Watt actually, does anyone remember him being particularly stunning on tape at WISC? was it just the defense they played?

Thanks to Lionsmack for the sig
SOCalBearsFan54

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this draft a lot and could see us even trading down in the first and still picking up HaHa or a DT. Quarles would be a huge 3 tech and would do well in our system next to Ratliff and Paea. I absolutely love picks 3-5 especially Desir. He looked very good at the senior bowl and is the type of corner we need.

2014 Adopt a Bear: WR Brandon Marshall #15
Rec- 34 Yards- 377 TDs- 5 Tgts- 66
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just worry that a 2nd round thumper at SS like Bucannon is not going to be enough at S.

I like Donald more than the safeties, but I think that the safeties, either Clinton-Dix or Pryor, are safer options.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I just worry that a 2nd round thumper at SS like Bucannon is not going to be enough at S.

I like Donald more than the safeties, but I think that the safeties, either Clinton-Dix or Pryor, are safer options.

It completely depends on Melton IMO...if we get him back we can afford to go safety or trade down...if we don't get him back we need to go Donald...I wouldn't reach for Hageman tho.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
neo wrote:
Like the draft a lot. Only thing is Rosario was released. Not trying to Donnie Downer your draft. Would yo

Then he was brought back again…dude just won’t leave lol.

I said the EXACT same thing to my brother when I read he had been re-signed. Smile
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
VeniceBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick 1: Aaron Donald
Pick 2: Kareem Martin
Pick 3: Lamarcus Joyner
Pick 4: Dri Archer
BPA
BPA
BPA

That would be an AWESOME draft

Sacks: 4
Tackles: 30.0
INTS: 0
FF: 0
FR: 1
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeniceBearsFan wrote:
Pick 1: Aaron Donald
Pick 2: Kareem Martin
Pick 3: Lamarcus Joyner
Pick 4: Dri Archer
BPA
BPA
BPA

That would be an AWESOME draft

I think it might be too optimistic to think Joyner would be there in the third round. I'm guessing its 50/50 he even makes it to our second round pick.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

It completely depends on Melton IMO...if we get him back we can afford to go safety or trade down...if we don't get him back we need to go Donald...I wouldn't reach for Hageman tho.

What if Donald is gone?
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

What if Donald is gone?

If Donald is gone at that point then I think we have to give real consideration to shifting Houston inside…I think his skill set is an outstanding fit for the UT position…then we could go ideally go HaHa or even Gilbert or Dennard if they are still on the board…we could even try and trade down and look for some value at the end of the 1st round which might be Emery’s #1 choice even over guys like Donald or HaHa…we need help all over the place on defence and as much as that is a bad thing in terms of talent already on the roster it’s a great thing in terms of providing us with flexibility in the draft…I do hope within the first 4 rounds we are able to grab at least one DT & DE.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: