Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why couldn't Gene Smith do this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Tugboat wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Let's remember, while he overpaid for some of them and some weren't lauded, as a whole, bringing in Poz, Session, Lowery, Landry, Kampman, Ross, Holt, and Robinson brought a good deal of excitement over those positions being addressed as well.

Dave has done a much better job of finding players that fit Gus's scheme than Gene did for his coaches, but for some reason there was a massive disconnect between the personnel department and coaching staff then. Dave and his staff seem to be doing a better job, but until that translates into wins on Sundays, we should probably hold off on getting too excited.

Yeah. Let's not put the cart before the horse here. Until we really see what unfolds on the field, i'm not about to anoint him King of the Offseason.

I think it's probably a good idea to keep expectations grounded a bit as well. In the opposite direction. Bringing in a few nice free agents is great, but i think it's important to be careful in not expecting too much from them either. Have to keep in mind that these are the guys Seattle deemed "expendable" or "replaceable". That's why they're here.

As someone who is possibly the most pessimistic person in this forum that isn't completely crazy(we know who those few are) my expectations are almost always grounded, BUT I think the bolded is inaccurate. Seattle couldnt afford to keep Red and Chris with the young guys needing to get paid this year or next. I dont think they had much choice in the matter unless those 2 took a major pay cut. Seattle didnt have 8M to spend on those 2 guys over the next 3-4 years. They have to extend Wilson, Sherman, Kam and Thomas who are probably making like 5-6M this year combined

Obviously it came down to cap considerations. It always does, especially when trying to keep a championship team together. But it is still accurate that those are the guys Seattle seemed to feel most comfortable "replacing", along with Browner+Thurmond. That's not to say they're "castoffs" or "afterthoughts" or anything, but when the money was tight, those were the guys they moved on from.

The real test cap-wise for them is going to come when they have to pay Russell Wilson. Could be profitable for us. Twisted Evil

Browner and Thurmond cast themselves off by doing stupid things and getting in trouble repeatedly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: