Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why couldn't Gene Smith do this?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Why couldn't Gene Smith do this? Reply with quote

In one offseason Caldwell and Gus have been able to do what Smith couldn't in over 4. It's really looking like for the first time since 2007 our D-Line is going to be a strength for this team.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is because Gene Smith was incompetent and made brutal decisions as GM of this team.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets pump the brakes on calling our DL a strength, until I see it on the field I wont believe it, been burned too many times along the DL: Harvey, Groves, Douglas, Smith...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
lets pump the brakes on calling our DL a strength, until I see it on the field I wont believe it, been burned too many times along the DL: Harvey, Groves, Douglas, Smith...

Don't forget Marcellus Wiley, and Bryce Paup.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuvalsKing wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

True, either way we need to cool it on the GM pimping. We are still lacking alot of talent in alot of places . Dont get me wrong, I love that we are building up the trenches and we got a young RB that doesnt have alot of miles at all, but we still need a QB, much better OL, another weapon or 2 at least and then still help in the secondary and youth in the pass rush since alot of what we brought in will probably be rotational.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
DuvalsKing wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

True, either way we need to cool it on the GM pimping. We are still lacking alot of talent in alot of places . Dont get me wrong, I love that we are building up the trenches and we got a young RB that doesnt have alot of miles at all, but we still need a QB, much better OL, another weapon or 2 at least and then still help in the secondary and youth in the pass rush since alot of what we brought in will probably be rotational.

I'm not to excited about our LBs either. I was a in Gene I trust guy, but that got us NOWHERE!!

We need results and the only ways to get that is on the field and during practice. Time will tell.

DarthDavis wrote:
I tell you I respect the Jags forum nothing but classy posters. They got a good group over there.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jags wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
DuvalsKing wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

I'm not to excited about our LBs either. I was a in Gene I trust guy, but that got us NOWHERE!!

We need results and the only ways to get that is on the field and during practice. Time will tell.

Bringing in Lowery and Landry were good moves for a secondary completely lacking talent over the top but the body of work and off the wall drafting was terrible

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's remember, while he overpaid for some of them and some weren't lauded, as a whole, bringing in Poz, Session, Lowery, Landry, Kampman, Ross, Holt, and Robinson brought a good deal of excitement over those positions being addressed as well.

Dave has done a much better job of finding players that fit Gus's scheme than Gene did for his coaches, but for some reason there was a massive disconnect between the personnel department and coaching staff then. Dave and his staff seem to be doing a better job, but until that translates into wins on Sundays, we should probably hold off on getting too excited.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Let's remember, while he overpaid for some of them and some weren't lauded, as a whole, bringing in Poz, Session, Lowery, Landry, Kampman, Ross, Holt, and Robinson brought a good deal of excitement over those positions being addressed as well.

Dave has done a much better job of finding players that fit Gus's scheme than Gene did for his coaches, but for some reason there was a massive disconnect between the personnel department and coaching staff then. Dave and his staff seem to be doing a better job, but until that translates into wins on Sundays, we should probably hold off on getting too excited.

Yea, I think his free agencies werent half bad, but the drafts are where he lost us

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Yea, I think his free agencies werent half bad, but the drafts are where he lost us

His drafts were the best part!! All those late value gems like Larry Hart and Scotty McGee and Rod Isaac are spectacular football players who Gene was keen enough to spot as sleepers!
Tugboat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

Yeah. Let's not put the cart before the horse here. Until we really see what unfolds on the field, i'm not about to anoint him King of the Offseason.

I think it's probably a good idea to keep expectations grounded a bit as well. In the opposite direction. Bringing in a few nice free agents is great, but i think it's important to be careful in not expecting too much from them either. Have to keep in mind that these are the guys Seattle deemed "expendable" or "replaceable". That's why they're here.

Just have to kind of temper the enthusiasm for now. It's heading in the right direction though, and that's the big take away for me. With Gene, i often had no clue what direction it was headed in. No vision, no apparent plan or direction. Just reactionary moves all over the place trying to bail out a ship that was sinking because there was never enough buoyancy via the draft in bringing in enough viable NFL players.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JagsFanInNY wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
iPwn wrote:

His drafts were the best part!! All those late value gems like Larry Hart and Scotty McGee and Rod Isaac are spectacular football players who Gene was keen enough to spot as sleepers!

Tbh, I wasnt pissed about Hart and McGee. I liked Hart alot and was glad we got him. And we needed a returner badly so taking McGee who was electric at JMU wasnt bad. But the early picks simply werent good enough. Late rounders dont really have high expectations even though the talent on the team in general was lacking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Yeah. Let's not put the cart before the horse here. Until we really see what unfolds on the field, i'm not about to anoint him King of the Offseason.

I think it's probably a good idea to keep expectations grounded a bit as well. In the opposite direction. Bringing in a few nice free agents is great, but i think it's important to be careful in not expecting too much from them either. Have to keep in mind that these are the guys Seattle deemed "expendable" or "replaceable". That's why they're here.

As someone who is possibly the most pessimistic person in this forum that isn't completely crazy(we know who those few are) my expectations are almost always grounded, BUT I think the bolded is inaccurate. Seattle couldnt afford to keep Red and Chris with the young guys needing to get paid this year or next. I dont think they had much choice in the matter unless those 2 took a major pay cut. Seattle didnt have 8M to spend on those 2 guys over the next 3-4 years. They have to extend Wilson, Sherman, Kam and Thomas who are probably making like 5-6M this year combined

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Tugboat wrote:
iPwn wrote:

As someone who is possibly the most pessimistic person in this forum that isn't completely crazy(we know who those few are) my expectations are almost always grounded, BUT I think the bolded is inaccurate. Seattle couldnt afford to keep Red and Chris with the young guys needing to get paid this year or next. I dont think they had much choice in the matter unless those 2 took a major pay cut. Seattle didnt have 8M to spend on those 2 guys over the next 3-4 years. They have to extend Wilson, Sherman, Kam and Thomas who are probably making like 5-6M this year combined

Obviously it came down to cap considerations. It always does, especially when trying to keep a championship team together. But it is still accurate that those are the guys Seattle seemed to feel most comfortable "replacing", along with Browner+Thurmond. That's not to say they're "castoffs" or "afterthoughts" or anything, but when the money was tight, those were the guys they moved on from.

The real test cap-wise for them is going to come when they have to pay Russell Wilson. Could be profitable for us. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His philosphy was wrong.

"Thanks for the great sig MoJo122-b-21, one of the best alive".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: