Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Safety Upgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't seem to have the ball skills of Rolle either, but is still very good
Plucky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be on board with Exum in the 4th or 5th, could use a little more time to recover but jefferson can fill in nicely. I'm so mixed on this safety class right now. Everyone does something well, but needs to work on something coming into the nfl. I don't know if I see a day 1 bonafide starter. The last place you want is a rookie making a mistake is in the safety position. I really don't see any drop in talent from rounds 2-4, I think this is where coaching, a players willingness to learn and ability to handle the play book will come into play and I don't have the ability to judge this.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone think Lamarcus Joyner can man the SS spot? I've been tough on him in the past because of his size but I know some guys on here like him.

Like TM32 he plays much bigger than his size. Also a playmaker. May not necessarily solve our problem matching up with TE's but he could contribute in other areas.

I think TM32 actually matched up decently when he was covering TE's so size isn't everything. Played tight coverage on Jimmy Graham but perfectly placed balls where only Graham can get it are nearly impossible to defend.

Not a fan of this safety class outside of Pryor but Joyner could end up being my #2 safety.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
Anyone think Lamarcus Joyner can man the SS spot? I've been tough on him in the past because of his size but I know some guys on here like him.

Like TM32 he plays much bigger than his size. Also a playmaker. May not necessarily solve our problem matching up with TE's but he could contribute in other areas.

I think TM32 actually matched up decently when he was covering TE's so size isn't everything. Played tight coverage on Jimmy Graham but perfectly placed balls where only Graham can get it are nearly impossible to defend.

Not a fan of this safety class outside of Pryor but Joyner could end up being my #2 safety.

Having watched every game of Joyner's career, yes he can

Also he can play slot CB as well

he is small, but solid tackler, and makes plays everywhere.

Mighty Midget Safeties
mtdowner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
mtdowner wrote:

Mighty Midget Safeties

An almost identical prospect to TM32 without the off the field issues. A base formation with those two at the back end of the secondary will make for a heck of a playmaking tandem. Plus Cro and PP21 Shocked
Plucky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
DJ_Fka wrote:
mtdowner wrote:

Mighty Midget Safeties

An almost identical prospect to TM32 without the off the field issues. A base formation with those two at the back end of the secondary will make for a heck of a playmaking tandem. Plus Cro and PP21 Shocked

We are going to get bigger and faster in the backfield, I marked off everyone under 5'11 pretty much anyone under 6'0. I just don't see the fit with what we want to do.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Reed 5'11"
Troy Polamalu 5'10"
Bob Sanders 5'8"
Earl Thomas 5'10"
TJ Ward 5'10"
Jarius Byrd 5'10"
Tyrann Mathieu 5'9"

I'd prefer to get taller/longer too but creating a height requirement for the S position is just silly. As you can see there are plenty of talented safeties below 6'.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
Ed Reed 5'11"
Troy Polamalu 5'10"
Bob Sanders 5'8"
Earl Thomas 5'10"
TJ Ward 5'10"
Jarius Byrd 5'10"
Tyrann Mathieu 5'9"

I'd prefer to get taller/longer too but creating a height requirement for the S position is just silly. As you can see there are plenty of talented safeties below 6'.

I agree. Much more important for safeties to have range in coverage than it is for them to have height.

Height is more important for corners, at least in a man to man scheme. It's kind of like in basketball where you can stick to your guy like glue but he can still make that jump shot no problem unless you get hands in his face. In football, you can have perfect coverage and the guy will still make the catch because it's thrown perfectly. That height and arm reach can make all the difference.
holeman1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
Ed Reed 5'11"
Troy Polamalu 5'10"
Bob Sanders 5'8"
Earl Thomas 5'10"
TJ Ward 5'10"
Jarius Byrd 5'10"
Tyrann Mathieu 5'9"

what they all have in common is their range, guys like Mathieu, Byrd, and Thomas are all so good because they can get from sideline to sideline in a very short time, and that, to me, is the most important trait to have in a Safety.
Plucky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we didn't have TMath I would agree with you all, unfortunately we do and I don't see any advantage of having 2 really small safeties. I'll go with keim on this one and say length is just as important. Goal would be to find someone lengthy and full of range

http://espn.go.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/4694/keim-cards-need-length-to-combat-tes
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plucky wrote:
If we didn't have TMath I would agree with you all, unfortunately we do and I don't see any advantage of having 2 really small safeties. I'll go with keim on this one and say length is just as important. Goal would be to find someone lengthy and full of range

http://espn.go.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/4694/keim-cards-need-length-to-combat-tes

That's my view point as well. I would have a problem with brining in another small guy, but we already have one and two on the same defense would just be kinda stupid to me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
Plucky wrote:

That's my view point as well. I would have a problem with brining in another small guy, but we already have one and two on the same defense would just be kinda stupid to me

You guys could be right. But I really don't see a S in this class who's tall and long as well as athletic enough to flip his hips and run with these athletic TE's down the seam. Antone Exum is a guy who can do it.

Who knows, we could even be asking Cro to cover TE's at times.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: