Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My personal opinion on the Bengals OL situation.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DatDudeKB3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: My personal opinion on the Bengals OL situation. Reply with quote

I'm personally not really upset over losing Collins. I'm not as high on him as others (great pass blocker, meh run blocker). Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have minded him back at all, but I actually would prefer to go the Draft route, which is what it looks like is going to happen.

With that being said, I expect to draft an OT or OG in the first 4 rounds (not necessarily to start right away, could get a LT to groom behind Whit). Other than that I'd say we bring in a vet for depth.

Nwaneri is visiting today, would be a good signing imo. If he signs the line could look something like one of the following:

-Whit/Boling/Pollak/Zeitler/Smith
Backups: Rookie (LT or LG), Hawkinson (backup OT or OG pending on the rookie), Johnson (I think he beats out Robinson), Nwaneri

- Rookie/Whit/Pollak/Zeitler/Smith
Backups: Hawkinson, Boling, Johnson, Nwaneri

-Whit/Rookie/Pollak/Zeitler/Smith
Backups: Hawkinson, Boling, Johnson, Nwaneri

If Nwaneri isn't signed, I'm sure you can write in some vet OG in his spot.

Also could see a C being selected in the 5th or later to compete for the backup job behind Pollak. I'm not a big fan of the C class, but I do like Tyler Larsen. Could be a good pick in the 5th.

Last edited by DatDudeKB3 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care one way or the other about losing Collins. Yes, I would be good with him staying, but he is the third best OT on the team and would be making the most salary. Not a good idea, especially with how fragile Andre's psyche can be at times.

And next year we will have two third round comp picks to play with.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have liked to have Collins back. Our O line was much better with him at LT and Whit at LG.

In the draft, I would still like to see us take a T or G early. At the very least for depth, but to push the current guys we have. I am still on a upgrade at C bandwagon. I know we signed Pollak and signs point to him being our guy, but his ability to play G gives us flexibility if a guy like Martin is available. I say go with him all day

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
theJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe that the team will draft a LT to start over Whit from day one. Maybe a year or two down the line. That has probably a less than 5% chance of happening IMO.

The most likely scenario is Whit/Boling/Pollack. Second most likely is a rookie to replace Boling should his injury prove to be career killing like Cook's was.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
DatDudeKB3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
I find it hard to believe that the team will draft a LT to start over Whit from day one. Maybe a year or two down the line. That has probably a less than 5% chance of happening IMO.

The most likely scenario is Whit/Boling/Pollack. Second most likely is a rookie to replace Boling should his injury prove to be career killing like Cook's was.

I agree with you, but it's still possible so I mentioned it. I doubt it happens either.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DatDudeKB3 wrote:
theJ wrote:

I agree with you, but it's still possible so I mentioned it. I doubt it happens either.

The only way I see it happening is if we get one of the top guys like Lewan to fall to us

DatDudeKB3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
DatDudeKB3 wrote:
theJ wrote:

The only way I see it happening is if we get one of the top guys like Lewan to fall to us

If we took Zack Martin at 24 do you guys think he'd start at LT or LG?
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DatDudeKB3 wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
DatDudeKB3 wrote:
theJ wrote:

If we took Zack Martin at 24 do you guys think he'd start at LT or LG?

LG without a question. I don't think he's a LT to begin with, but anyone would be crazy to expect him to start at LT over Whit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now the OL picture at the moment looks like this IMO

LT Whitworth
LG Boling
C Robinson
RG Zeitler
RT Smith

As for the backups, I see Hawkinson and Pollack as the only locks. I don't even see Robinson as a lock honestly. If they sign Uche Nwaneri and Phil Costa then that would probably complete the picture. I think an OT has to be drafted somewhere though for depth purpose.
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:

LT Whitworth
LG Boling
C Robinson
RG Zeitler
RT Smith

As for the backups, I see Hawkinson and Pollack as the only locks. I don't even see Robinson as a lock honestly. If they sign Uche Nwaneri and Phil Costa then that would probably complete the picture. I think an OT has to be drafted somewhere though for depth purpose.

You really see Robinson over Pollack, atm?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous3 wrote:

Yeah i think Pollack is the starter atm. Lots could change, but they obviously liked him at guard and he has a lot of center experience from college.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous3 wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:

LT Whitworth
LG Boling
C Robinson
RG Zeitler
RT Smith

Not if they sign Costa, because they will not want more than 3 C's on the roster. Only other thing that makes sense is to move Robinson back at OG, because if Pollak is moved, then whos is backing up Boling and Zeitler?
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:
Anonymous3 wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:

LT Whitworth
LG Boling
C Robinson
RG Zeitler
RT Smith

Not if they sign Costa, because they will not want more than 3 C's on the roster. Only other thing that makes sense is to move Robinson back at OG, because if Pollak is moved, then whos is backing up Boling and Zeitler?
Can't really answer your last question since the roster isn't filled out. But if we don't sign a FA C, then I think Pollack is the starter. We're not throwing a rookie out there and I think they favor Pollack over Robinson.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft a LG early and hope that he can flip to LT in a few years. Just like they did with whit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beck Bristow wrote:
Draft a LG early and hope that he can flip to LT in a few years. Just like they did with whit.

Martin from ND?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: