Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tom Brady's Window

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many Superbowl grade years does Tom Brady have?
None - he'll be lucky to see the playoffs
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
1 - He's going to need a superior team
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
2 - 39 will be the decline
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
3 - He'll be fine for a few more years
34%
 34%  [ 9 ]
4+ - Tom will be elite long enough for it to not be a worry now
42%
 42%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 26

Marsala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Tom Brady's Window Reply with quote

I have noticed this being discussed a lot on the radio in the New England area. I was wondering what your thoughts were on this. What do you think Tom Brady's Superbowl window is? For a while now, Tom Brady and the New England Patriots have come up just short of a Superbowl appearance. He's 36 now and will be 37 at the start of the 2014-2015 season. It would be ridiculous to think he'll be the exception and play at the same standard well into his 40's. I am leaning towards 2 years tops. After that, I think his production will go down significantly.
ICB 45

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, our Super Bowl window is more dependent on when Belichick retires than when Brady does. Even if Brady retired, I am still confident we would compete for Super Bowls as long as Belichick is around.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His deep ball is really inconsistent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MYu3CUQlMQ&t=0m10s

Seriously? That is an easy touchdown for most teams.

Other than that, he is the same old Brady. Thinking he has at least 4 or 5 years left.

ICB 45 wrote:
In my opinion, our Super Bowl window is more dependent on when Belichick retires than when Brady does. Even if Brady retired, I am still confident we would compete for Super Bowls as long as Belichick is around.

Agreed.
Naq

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's going to be in the league till he's 50, no worries at all

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy looks like he's turning 30 in August, not 37.

I'm not the least bit worried about the proverbial window.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TomRalph

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naq wrote:
He's going to be in the league till he's 50, no worries at all

*Prays to all Gods known in the universe*

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4
VTPatsFan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with advances in medical science...

We could turn Tom into a cyborg, at least his arms so he never loses arm strength/accuracy.

Cause...you know...

TomRalph

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTPatsFan wrote:
Well, with advances in medical science...

We could turn Tom into a cyborg, at least his arms so he never loses arm strength/accuracy.

Cause...you know...

2020 New England Patriots Injury Report:

Tom Brady - Questionable (Rust)

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4
VTPatsFan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD40 gets banned as a performance enhancing substance.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imo, with the signing of Darrelle Revis, his window just got bigger. Yes, I'm aware it was only a 1 year contract, but if he turns out to be a long term player, well, we've seen what dominant defenses can do for subpar offenses. Tom Brady, imo, had about 2-3 years left in him before he would be done as is. This might have bought him a couple of extra seasons.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Jmacz008

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are already starting to see it a little. He has lost a bit off his deep ball, and he seems to be a little big more worried about getting hit than he used to. Not sure if that's due to old age, or his injury, or both.

He still has more than enough zip on his short passes, though that will probably be the next thing to start to go. I say we are going to start to really notice it when he turns 39-40, and depending on how good the rest of the team is at that point. I'd say he would have another 2 years after that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmacz008 wrote:
We are already starting to see it a little. He has lost a bit off his deep ball, and he seems to be a little big more worried about getting hit than he used to. Not sure if that's due to old age, or his injury, or both.

He still has more than enough zip on his short passes, though that will probably be the next thing to start to go. I say we are going to start to really notice it when he turns 39-40, and depending on how good the rest of the team is at that point. I'd say he would have another 2 years after that.

The only thing I have seen is inconsistency due to lack of receiver chemistry. His deep ball was never the cornerstone of his game even when Moss was here. Randy MADE the deep ball in New England adjusting to the ball. Sometimes it was spot on but more often than not even in 07 it was under thrown.

Sigs-Taking Requests
lancerman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think barring an injury or him just having a huge dropoff he could have anywhere from 4-6 before you really want to replace him.

I liken him to Manning who is a year older and has more seasons under his belt. Both still play well. Both have had a single serious season ending injury (Manning's probably being more relevant because it was his neck, upper body, and more recent). They don't really scramble or break for the run so a drop off in running speed (which I would believe would be one of the first effects of an age decline) wouldn't really matter that much. Their most valuable asset is that they are arguably the top 2 (of any era) at reading the defense and making the smart pass (IE: they aren't Brett Favre who plays a risky game and often needs his physical prowess to force big passes). That intelligence really won't go away. Brady also is more likely to play the short pass game, which I would think is less demanding than needing to lob the ball down field.

All those things bode well for the two of them. And then you have to consider how much he drops off and how soon. Like if it's just a small but noticeable decline each year, it might not be the worst thing in the world to stick with him for a 2-3 years once it starts. Especially if you can get him to take a pay cut so they can give him elite receivers who can mask that.

I mean this is also a guy who had his second best season like 3 years ago, and he also helped keep a team that was not well off on offense in contention.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: