Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots sign Darrelle Revis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Deadpulse


Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 9616
Location: Boston MA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royal_VT wrote:
HootersPatrol wrote:
Nice, this couldn't get any better for the Pats. Revis is going to bust his [inappropriate/removed] off for his next contract while also being an upgrade over Talib. Love how the Broncos crippled their future cap with the signing of Talib who won't be as motivated now.


Talib is on the hook for $8/$7/$10 for the next three years ($12/$12/$8 after), and a cut after 3rd year would only be $2mil dead cap. I think his motivation now is winning a ring in the next couple of years, so that shouldn't be a factor. If he can stay healthy, should be a pretty good deal. Maybe he will be worth the $12mil in 2017 maybe not, $2mil cap hit isn't that bad.

That being said…your guys Revis contract is great. Get him cheap this year which was necessary and have the option to restructure after 2014. I am not sure how comp picks work what do you guys think he would fetch back if released?


releasing a player doesnt get you a comp pick

as far as Talib goes, he has never played in all 16 games of a season so I would be tempering my expectations of him. While yes, his contract is livable considering the talent that is there, but add in the character concerns (that were still present on the Pats, some posters wanted him gone in GDTs because of his antics) and his injuries woes that even include mere bumps and bruises, that isnt a contract I would endorse. Keep your fingers crossed though and you might just have a good signing on your hands.
_________________

Sigs-Taking Requests
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25296
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
Royal_VT wrote:
HootersPatrol wrote:
Nice, this couldn't get any better for the Pats. Revis is going to bust his [inappropriate/removed] off for his next contract while also being an upgrade over Talib. Love how the Broncos crippled their future cap with the signing of Talib who won't be as motivated now.


Talib is on the hook for $8/$7/$10 for the next three years ($12/$12/$8 after), and a cut after 3rd year would only be $2mil dead cap. I think his motivation now is winning a ring in the next couple of years, so that shouldn't be a factor. If he can stay healthy, should be a pretty good deal. Maybe he will be worth the $12mil in 2017 maybe not, $2mil cap hit isn't that bad.

That being said…your guys Revis contract is great. Get him cheap this year which was necessary and have the option to restructure after 2014. I am not sure how comp picks work what do you guys think he would fetch back if released?


releasing a player doesnt get you a comp pick

as far as Talib goes, he has never played in all 16 games of a season so I would be tempering my expectations of him. While yes, his contract is livable considering the talent that is there, but add in the character concerns (that were still present on the Pats, some posters wanted him gone in GDTs because of his antics) and his injuries woes that even include mere bumps and bruises, that isnt a contract I would endorse. Keep your fingers crossed though and you might just have a good signing on your hands.


I think Talib probably gives Denver 2 really good years, 2 mediocre years and is gone by year 5. He'll probably miss 12-15 games over the next 4 years.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Babylon


Joined: 16 Jan 2008
Posts: 1402
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
Royal_VT wrote:
HootersPatrol wrote:
Nice, this couldn't get any better for the Pats. Revis is going to bust his [inappropriate/removed] off for his next contract while also being an upgrade over Talib. Love how the Broncos crippled their future cap with the signing of Talib who won't be as motivated now.


Talib is on the hook for $8/$7/$10 for the next three years ($12/$12/$8 after), and a cut after 3rd year would only be $2mil dead cap. I think his motivation now is winning a ring in the next couple of years, so that shouldn't be a factor. If he can stay healthy, should be a pretty good deal. Maybe he will be worth the $12mil in 2017 maybe not, $2mil cap hit isn't that bad.

That being said…your guys Revis contract is great. Get him cheap this year which was necessary and have the option to restructure after 2014. I am not sure how comp picks work what do you guys think he would fetch back if released?


releasing a player doesnt get you a comp pick

as far as Talib goes, he has never played in all 16 games of a season so I would be tempering my expectations of him. While yes, his contract is livable considering the talent that is there, but add in the character concerns (that were still present on the Pats, some posters wanted him gone in GDTs because of his antics) and his injuries woes that even include mere bumps and bruises, that isnt a contract I would endorse. Keep your fingers crossed though and you might just have a good signing on your hands.


I think Talib probably gives Denver 2 really good years, 2 mediocre years and is gone by year 5. He'll probably miss 12-15 games over the next 4 years.


Talib will give Denver 2 years and then be cut when Peyton retires. The contract makes it pretty painless to do for them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naq


Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Posts: 8446
Location: Westeros
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sssy5enZR0
_________________


UniversalAuthor wrote:
Hate being up by 13, sets us up for a 1 point loss.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richter


Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 12624
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naq wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sssy5enZR0

Still one of the greatest special teams blocks I've ever seen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomRalph


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 11197
Location: Deadpulse on the Sig
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Naq wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sssy5enZR0

Still one of the greatest special teams blocks I've ever seen.


Ah man, that is awesome.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pats83


Joined: 30 Apr 2010
Posts: 2090
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question, do we think this will be a:

A) 1 Year signing (rental)
B) Multi year player
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25296
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pats83 wrote:
I have a question, do we think this will be a:

A) 1 Year signing (rental)
B) Multi year player


I'm pretty optimistic that Revis sticks around for awhile.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NinjaZX6R


Joined: 05 Jun 2011
Posts: 9308
Location: Columbus, Ohio
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
pats83 wrote:
I have a question, do we think this will be a:

A) 1 Year signing (rental)
B) Multi year player


I'm pretty optimistic that Revis sticks around for awhile.


Why would you say that?
_________________
"Let's show some toughness. Yeah...Toughness and go makes some plays"
-Tom Brady
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25296
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaZX6R wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
pats83 wrote:
I have a question, do we think this will be a:

A) 1 Year signing (rental)
B) Multi year player


I'm pretty optimistic that Revis sticks around for awhile.


Why would you say that?


The structure of his contract and I think Belichick understands Revis's talent - which likely isn't going to diminish in the next 11 months.

I think they probably re-sign him to a 4 year/$56M type deal next year.

If he starts demanding 5-6 years? Yeah, he's probably gone. But if he will settle for a contract which limits the team's exposure to his decline phase? I think Belichick shells out the money to keep him in Foxboro.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I_GET_SAX


Joined: 17 Nov 2012
Posts: 6304
Location: The Granite State
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have faith in the Pats keeping him here. Maybe it's more hope. I want this to be something long term. Him and BB love each other.
_________________

Sig by Smack
AAP Chandler Jones
2.5 Sax, 17 tackles, 1 TD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NextBigThing


Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 22782
Location: Beat Of My Own Drum
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revis is going to enjoy being a sports icon. Randy Moss is the only player whose greatness has ever matched (imo surpassed) Tom Brady's while he was here. Revis is just as good at his position as Brady, if not better.

I expect Moss-like success and fame/glory for Revis while he is a Patriot. It isn't something many other teams can offer. I expect him to be the unquestioned top corner in the game and enjoy the respect (and attention) that honor commands. He is going to channel his inner Deion Sanders & be a pillar of a dynasty.

He faced Sanchez in practice. I am sure he was well aware how terrible he was. The Patriots offer things which I expect to be priceless to his personality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadpulse


Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 9616
Location: Boston MA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Revis is going to enjoy being a sports icon. Randy Moss is the only player whose greatness has ever matched (imo surpassed) Tom Brady's while he was here. Revis is just as good at his position as Brady, if not better.

I expect Moss-like success and fame/glory for Revis while he is a Patriot. It isn't something many other teams can offer. I expect him to be the unquestioned top corner in the game and enjoy the respect (and attention) that honor commands. He is going to channel his inner Deion Sanders & be a pillar of a dynasty.

He faced Sanchez in practice. I am sure he was well aware how terrible he was. The Patriots offer things which I expect to be priceless to his personality.


Only NBT would make such a direct comparison to Randy Moss with a corner lol
_________________

Sigs-Taking Requests
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ausbacker


Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Posts: 52
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Revis is going to enjoy being a sports icon. Randy Moss is the only player whose greatness has ever matched (imo surpassed) Tom Brady's while he was here. Revis is just as good at his position as Brady, if not better.

I expect Moss-like success and fame/glory for Revis while he is a Patriot. It isn't something many other teams can offer. I expect him to be the unquestioned top corner in the game and enjoy the respect (and attention) that honor commands. He is going to channel his inner Deion Sanders & be a pillar of a dynasty.

He faced Sanchez in practice. I am sure he was well aware how terrible he was. The Patriots offer things which I expect to be priceless to his personality.

Is Darrelle Revis in the conversation for greatest Cornerback of all time like Tom Brady is at Quarterback? I'm encouraged by the Revis signing but let's pump the brakes a little here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pats83


Joined: 30 Apr 2010
Posts: 2090
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ausbacker wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
Revis is going to enjoy being a sports icon. Randy Moss is the only player whose greatness has ever matched (imo surpassed) Tom Brady's while he was here. Revis is just as good at his position as Brady, if not better.

I expect Moss-like success and fame/glory for Revis while he is a Patriot. It isn't something many other teams can offer. I expect him to be the unquestioned top corner in the game and enjoy the respect (and attention) that honor commands. He is going to channel his inner Deion Sanders & be a pillar of a dynasty.

He faced Sanchez in practice. I am sure he was well aware how terrible he was. The Patriots offer things which I expect to be priceless to his personality.

Is Darrelle Revis in the conversation for greatest Cornerback of all time like Tom Brady is at Quarterback? I'm encouraged by the Revis signing but let's pump the brakes a little here.



Let me walk you through some NBT Logic:

Randy Moss = Unstoppable object
Revis beat Moss
Ergo, Revis is capable of stopping the unstoppable and the best ever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group