Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Quarterback Debate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should be the Bucs' starting quarterback?
Mike Glennon
21%
 21%  [ 7 ]
Josh Mccown
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
Top rookie (Teddy/Bortles/Johnny)
48%
 48%  [ 16 ]
Mid rookie (Carr/Garopollo/etc)
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Mike Kafka
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tim Tebow
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 33

REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason McCown is named the starter is telling glennon, after evaluation, is not in the future plans as a starter. If he was they wouldn't have named McCown the starter and built off of glennon.
Caaddy24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
Caaddy24 wrote:

Well I mean like I've said many times I just think Glennon played with crap on offense, I really don't think even a Tom Brady could have gotten much more than 200 yards a game with that offense... Glennon did the best he could with what he had to work with, and he was just a rookie... I just feel he deserves a shot to show what his true potential is, if it's a crap QB, then let him show it, if it's a QB good enough to get us a super bowl, then let him show it... obviously he's not gonna be an Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady that's gonna carry an offense with little talent, but he can certainly be better than a Joe Flacco or Eli Manning or Russell Wilson... if he's not good enough for that, give him the chance to show it

Ok fair enough, and not saying I don't agree with you, but this regime doesn't owe him anything. They brought in a 35 year old journeyman and instantly named him the starter, claimed they wanted to upgrade the position right when they got here, etc. Glennon was a mid round pick of an old regime, and probably should have been a day 3 pick according to experts had Schiano not loved the guy. This regime owes him nothing, and they certainly are not going to waste a year of their regime finding out if the mid round pick, who looked unimpressive despite the circumstances, is a good quarterback or a terrible one.

Despite fairness, I think we draft a quarterback high in this draft and Mccown will be the starter and mentor him. Glennon certainly looks like the odd man out.

I'm not saying they owe him anything and of course if they don't feel comfortable with him then yeah go with the safer vet... Heck if I was in their situation I might do the same thing, I mean with the pressures of today's NFL standards, it's all about winning now... perfect example is how aggressive they're going after free agents... I mean it's obviously he wants to win now and believes he can, which is fine, and mccown could very well be the better option... I just hate the idea of guys like Mccown being anything more than a backup on a team, especially considering that's ALL he's been his entire career and the guy is like 35 years old... I would personally rather have a guy like Glennon in to build for the future but hey I'll get over it..
Buc Ball

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the McCown move spells the end of Glennon's future here. He actually gives us a good insurance policy should we go QB round 1 and that QB busts.

Glennon looked good at points last year, but was not as consistent as he would need to be to be a productive starter in the NFL. He can develop under Tedford and may be the forgotten man here for a few years. I don't think he has made his last start for us.

I think we will draft a QB either round 1 or 2 and take 3 QBs into the season: Rookie, McCown, Glennon.

Doug Martin
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buc Ball wrote:
I don't think the McCown move spells the end of Glennon's future here. He actually gives us a good insurance policy should we go QB round 1 and that QB busts.

Glennon looked good at points last year, but was not as consistent as he would need to be to be a productive starter in the NFL. He can develop under Tedford and may be the forgotten man here for a few years. I don't think he has made his last start for us.

I think we will draft a QB either round 1 or 2 and take 3 QBs into the season: Rookie, McCown, Glennon.

I agree to a point. I think they see glennon as a future back up and will draft our future franchise qb. I really think they like bortles. Yeah the Tedford and Carr connection is solid , but I'm hearing the media hyped qb frenzy of JF/TB/Bb going 1-3-&4 isn't seeming valid.

In fact a lot are predicting either bortles or bridgewater being there at 7. Which one? Not sure but I'm stoked with either.

If bortles or Teddy are a Buc come may 8, I can't see McCown beating them out.

Derrick Brooks said it best yesterday on Ron and Ian wdae. "McCown being named the starter means he's going out their in spring practices first. He's not the guy for opening day just yet".
BucBall_76

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love almost every single move Lovie and Licht have made, but this McCown signing does give me a bit of pause.

Lovies weakness has always been offense. bad O, great D led by an average(at best) QB. McCown is a career back-up who had a nice strecth of games, playing w two monster WRs, a top RB and a coach whos expertise is on that side of the ball.

Im not saying he cant replicate what he did in chicago, as we have some similar pieces, but its a dice roll.

on a side not, i still dont get the infatuation w bridgewater. is he a solid prospect? sure is. But there will be plenty more just like him. hes not one of those rare air guys IMHO

"There's something to be said for guys that want to be Miami Hurricanes."- Al Golden - TBA Trust, Belief, Accountability
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I mean that's the thing where lovie has always struggled is finding a qb and an offensive playcaller. He's ran through how many OCs that failed? He did get cutler but we all know his gun slinger mentality was there.
Having the lack of offensive competency is what got lovie axed. Hopefully a year off helped him do some homework on Tedford and that he's a great fit.

Having Eric stokes evaluating talent isn't bad ether.

Buc ball, do some work on Teddy. The words you're using make me think you're watching too much Mel and Todd Laughing
BucBall_76

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
Yeah. I mean that's the thing where lovie has always struggled is finding a qb and an offensive playcaller. He's ran through how many OCs that failed? He did get cutler but we all know his gun slinger mentality was there.
Having the lack of offensive competency is what got lovie axed. Hopefully a year off helped him do some homework on Tedford and that he's a great fit.

Having Eric stokes evaluating talent isn't bad ether.

Buc ball, do some work on Teddy. The words you're using make me think you're watching too much Mel and Todd Laughing

i have watched plenty of bridgewater. and no i dont watch or think highly of mel and todd lol. what words am i using that remind u of that? just curious? rare air guy i got from sapp when he was describing keyshawn Wink

"There's something to be said for guys that want to be Miami Hurricanes."- Al Golden - TBA Trust, Belief, Accountability
BucBall_76

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ There have been plenty of great college qbs, that for whatever reason dont pan out in the NFL. Again i like Teddy, im just not head over heels for the guy like some in this forum. I just dont view him as a slam dunk prospect and immediate savior.

DaRealdeal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that Caddy has to worry about us drafting Manziel, tbh. Every single guy that we have signed this offseason has one thing in common - character. You hear these guys talk during their intro press conferences and you know immediately that they are going to come into Tampa to go to work. We don't have to worry about any off the field issues with these guys.

Manziel isn't cut from that cloth. I can't see this organization drafting someone with questionable character to be the face of the franchise.

Adopt-A-Buc Adrian Clayborn
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaRealdeal wrote:
I don't think that Caddy has to worry about us drafting Manziel, tbh. Every single guy that we have signed this offseason has one thing in common - character. You hear these guys talk during their intro press conferences and you know immediately that they are going to come into Tampa to go to work. We don't have to worry about any off the field issues with these guys.

Manziel isn't cut from that cloth. I can't see this organization drafting someone with questionable character to be the face of the franchise.

Agreed. Especially that and I don't think e fits this offensive scheme.
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Manziel, but Tedford wants a guy who can be a good pocket passer, accurate, with a quick release. Manziel's strengths don't mesh with Tedford's philosophy, so I doubt we look at him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're having the discussion, how does everyone rank this year's QB class? Top-5, Top-10, whatever. I feel like this class of QBs has such wide ranging opinions. FWIW this is my Top-10:

1. Bridgewater
2. Carr
3. Bortles
4. Manziel
5. Smith
6. Murray
7. Boyd
8. Thomas
9. McCarron
10. Matthews

Adopt-A-Buc Adrian Clayborn
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Bridgewater
2. Manziel
3. Bortles

Gap

4. AJ Mccaron [Not that I think he's amazing or anything, but I think he'll carve out a nice long career no matter what. Either as an Alex Smith/Matt Hasselbeck type starter, or a top notch backup.]
5. Derek Carr
6. Smith

Rest are interchangeable

7. Boyd
8. Thomas
9. Garopollo
10. Murray

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaRealdeal wrote:
Since we're having the discussion, how does everyone rank this year's QB class? Top-5, Top-10, whatever. I feel like this class of QBs has such wide ranging opinions. FWIW this is my Top-10:

1. Bridgewater
2. Carr
3. Bortles
4. Manziel
5. Smith
6. Murray
7. Boyd
8. Thomas
9. McCarron
10. Matthews

I believe Smith will be the late riser in this class and sneak into the end of the 2nd or early 3rd round. I have Bortles ahead of Carr for Tedford slightly.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Teddy bridgewater
2. Blake bortles
3a. Jimmy garoppolo
3b. Derek Carr
5. Brett Smith
6. Aaron Murray
7. Johnny Manziel
8. Aj mccaaron
9. Zach Mettenburgh
10. David fales.

I really like Brett smith and Murray as well. We've met with smith and garroppolo twice. Met with Carr and bortles as well. I don't think we take Carr that high. I know many point out Garoppolos pocket presence. I see similar issues with Carr. I like Carr's upside and Tedford would work with him.
But I questioned a few times in the sr bowl where they called the go route 1-1 wr on the out side and he didn't take the shot. Worked the glennon type "short range".

Watching mayock break down Carr a few games he counted too many bubble screens and short 1-7 yard passes.

Can he rip it? Sure. Why won't he? System?
He could be a work in progress aka Aaron Rodgers as a prospect.

Manziel I've explained about him. Would I take him round 1? No. Rd 3 sure.
But I don't see him being on our board.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: