Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Quarterback Debate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should be the Bucs' starting quarterback?
Mike Glennon
21%
 21%  [ 7 ]
Josh Mccown
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
Top rookie (Teddy/Bortles/Johnny)
48%
 48%  [ 16 ]
Mid rookie (Carr/Garopollo/etc)
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Mike Kafka
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tim Tebow
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 33

tml_gogo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obviously have no issues with your opinion Caaady, but why do you think Glennon "deserves" a shot? He was drafted because Schiano loved him, but this regime has absolutely no ties to him whatsoever. He played last year and didn't really look great, and yeah I know the various excuses why, but in the end he's not a guy this regime believes in based on what they've said. Why does he deserve a shot?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To touch on a few points:
1. I do like bortles a lot. Yeah some foot work issues are present and he's a guy with excellent physical tools. I think people here only see big strong arm physical tools. Do more research that he wowed teams with his football knowledge and iq. Which makes me believe he can be a true franchise qb in a few years.

2. Teddy is still tops for me. No ifs ands or buts about it.

3. Dueces, I got ya. You're talking about Jimmy G. Please tell me why I'm getting all this flack about him? And what makes you like JF better? Garoppolo has all the qualities physical , mental, intangibles and leadership. I can't see how he won't succeed.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
I obviously have no issues with your opinion Caaady, but why do you think Glennon "deserves" a shot? He was drafted because Schiano loved him, but this regime has absolutely no ties to him whatsoever. He played last year and didn't really look great, and yeah I know the various excuses why, but in the end he's not a guy this regime believes in based on what they've said. Why does he deserve a shot?

I'm convinced that if schiano wasn't the coach, glennon woulda been a day 3 pick.

Sure he was the best rookie qb. But it's not saying much. I had zero confidence in our offense with him leading the charge to win a game from behind.
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
Garoppolo has all the qualities physical , mental, intangibles and leadership. I can't see how he won't succeed.

He hasn't played high level football in his life.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:
Garoppolo has all the qualities physical , mental, intangibles and leadership. I can't see how he won't succeed.

Neither did romo , McNair , Roethlisbuerger , kapernick, flacco. All play off qbs. 4 super qbs.

You can spin competition all you want. But he came into the shrine and sr bowl weeks and performed with the big boys.
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
tml_gogo wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:

Neither did romo , McNair , Roethlisbuerger , kapernick, flacco. All play off qbs. 4 super qbs.

You can spin competition all you want. But he came into the shrine and sr bowl weeks and performed with the big boys.

There's no spin. There are some quarterbacks in this class who played against better competition in high school. Of course there are some exceptions of guys who came from small schools and did well, but Jimmy played against nobodies. Nevada =/= Eastern Illinois.

Seriously, you can look at him and claim that he's got all the qualities in the world, he put up the stats, but in the end he played against awful football players compared to what he'll see in the NFL. Like, it's laughable. You put basically ANY decent division 1 starting quarterback in Jimmy's position and they would put up identical if not superior numbers.

I know you have a serious draft-man-crush on Jimmy, but brushing off his level of "competition" as a non-issue is foolish. Not saying he can't succeed, nobody knows that, but he is jumping from little league to the majors.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:

Seriously, you can look at him and claim that he's got all the qualities in the world, he put up the stats, but in the end he played against awful football players compared to what he'll see in the NFL. Like, it's laughable. You put basically ANY decent division 1 starting quarterback in Jimmy's position and they would put up identical if not superior numbers.

I'm not the biggest Garoppolo fan in the world for a few reasons, but one of the most basic tenets of scouting (particularly in the case of of QBs) is that making broad stroke judgements about a prospect based on their level of competition is a fool's game at best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sayheykid wrote:
tml_gogo wrote:

I'm not the biggest Garoppolo fan in the world for a few reasons, but one of the most basic tenets of scouting (particularly in the case of of QBs) is that making broad stroke judgements about a prospect based on their level of competition is a fool's game at best.

100%, I'm not saying he will be bad. I don't want anyone to misunderstand here. What I'm saying is quite the opposite, that because he played such poor competition, judging him is actually harder than other quarterbacks. Would he do the things he did against good football players? That is the question pro scouts need to assess.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this has made the rounds yet, but this scouting report on Garoppolo is eye opening to say the least:

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2014/03/05/qb-jimmy-garoppolo-knockout

Is it harsh? Yeah, it is. Is he wrong? No, I don't think so.

His poor pocket presence coupled with his below average arm strength are the biggest reasons why I don't like him as a prospect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caaddy24 wrote:
If we pick that little johnny guy it's gonna kill this whole offseason and I'll be done with the bucs till he busts and we move on from him, which will be in 1-2 years.. In no way can I support a team with that doosh at QB

And just because Lovie doesn't like Glennon doesn't mean I'm gonna change my stance on him.. he deserves a shot, plain and simple... if they wanna draft a top QB that's cool too, then ONE of them will hopefully be our future

If we Don't Trade up for a QB and take Teddy i am fine with it but Heck no to Manziel Carr or Garplololo
Just Give Glennon a Chance he could be good

Adopt a Buc: Vincent Jackson
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaRealdeal wrote:
Not sure if this has made the rounds yet, but this scouting report on Garoppolo is eye opening to say the least:

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2014/03/05/qb-jimmy-garoppolo-knockout

Is it harsh? Yeah, it is. Is he wrong? No, I don't think so.

His poor pocket presence coupled with his below average arm strength are the biggest reasons why I don't like him as a prospect.

Saw this just before also. He is not some perfect physical specimen who put up great numbers, he just put up great numbers. He is who he is.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:
tml_gogo wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:

There's no spin. There are some quarterbacks in this class who played against better competition in high school. Of course there are some exceptions of guys who came from small schools and did well, but Jimmy played against nobodies. Nevada =/= Eastern Illinois.

I know you have a serious draft-man-crush on Jimmy, but brushing off his level of "competition" as a non-issue is foolish. Not saying he can't succeed, nobody knows that, but he is jumping from little league to the majors.

As is all college prospects in this draft. Majority of the college athletes in d-1 A arent pegged as nfl prospects.
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:

As is all college prospects in this draft. Majority of the college athletes in d-1 A arent pegged as nfl prospects.

Indeed they are. Now imagine how much worse the D1-AA FCS guys are.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:

Well I mean like I've said many times I just think Glennon played with crap on offense, I really don't think even a Tom Brady could have gotten much more than 200 yards a game with that offense... Glennon did the best he could with what he had to work with, and he was just a rookie... I just feel he deserves a shot to show what his true potential is, if it's a crap QB, then let him show it, if it's a QB good enough to get us a super bowl, then let him show it... obviously he's not gonna be an Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady that's gonna carry an offense with little talent, but he can certainly be better than a Joe Flacco or Eli Manning or Russell Wilson... if he's not good enough for that, give him the chance to show it
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caaddy24 wrote:

Well I mean like I've said many times I just think Glennon played with crap on offense, I really don't think even a Tom Brady could have gotten much more than 200 yards a game with that offense... Glennon did the best he could with what he had to work with, and he was just a rookie... I just feel he deserves a shot to show what his true potential is, if it's a crap QB, then let him show it, if it's a QB good enough to get us a super bowl, then let him show it... obviously he's not gonna be an Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady that's gonna carry an offense with little talent, but he can certainly be better than a Joe Flacco or Eli Manning or Russell Wilson... if he's not good enough for that, give him the chance to show it

Ok fair enough, and not saying I don't agree with you, but this regime doesn't owe him anything. They brought in a 35 year old journeyman and instantly named him the starter, claimed they wanted to upgrade the position right when they got here, etc. Glennon was a mid round pick of an old regime, and probably should have been a day 3 pick according to experts had Schiano not loved the guy. This regime owes him nothing, and they certainly are not going to waste a year of their regime finding out if the mid round pick, who looked unimpressive despite the circumstances, is a good quarterback or a terrible one.

Despite fairness, I think we draft a quarterback high in this draft and Mccown will be the starter and mentor him. Glennon certainly looks like the odd man out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: