Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bills sign Chris Williams Guard
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeEvans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leeevans83d wrote:
I heard Marrone practically hand picked this guy. With the moves we made last year with low-profile signings, I have full confidence in Whaley and Marrone. If they like this guy, I like him. Cool
He really can't be any worse than what we had.

The night is dark and full of terrors.
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeEvans wrote:
leeevans83d wrote:
I heard Marrone practically hand picked this guy. With the moves we made last year with low-profile signings, I have full confidence in Whaley and Marrone. If they like this guy, I like him. Cool
He really can't be any worse than what we had.

Very accurate.
StayinBuffalo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: This is not a guy we need Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
cdavls17 wrote:
Hahaha I love how 5 million guaranteed over 4 years is overpaid. I dont care how much is guaranteed since it is so little. My point is they didnt break the bank over a Guard. They need to fill more holes and upgrade and more positions with using the money they could have thrown at Saffold. Same reason they didnt do it last year to Levitre. Guard position is only good to a certain extent and the value to pay someone 7 million a year for that position is absurd.

5 million guaranteed is a lot for a player that isn't anything more than a replacement level back-up. It's not a ton compared to other starting free agent OG deals, but that's not what you should be comparing it to...

This guy is Collin Brown 2.0, guards ranked ahead of Williams are getting 3yrs-5 mil. If Morrone couldn't coach Brown and Layinthedirtsky to be anything more than turnstyles, this guy is not going to be much of an improvement. Williams is nothing more than a weak back-up on most play-off teams, this was a waste of money.
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
I don't know why we wouldn't take Rams fans opinions on Williams more seriously. Why are we discounting what they think of him? They know him much better than we do.

Anyhow, I don't hate the signing, but I don't love it either. He may have been a 1st round pick, but has anyone heard anything positive about him since then?

I hate the signing. A lot. Because it's been absolutely nothing but negative since the moment he came into the league.

I really don't want a guy that's marginal at best, for THIS much money. I'd rather just stick with Legursky and Brown and pick up a damn rookie than pay a guy that's barely better than they are.

I see a lot of Bears games, so I watched him a lot. He's just point blank not a good player.

But hey we're the Bills so this is what we have to pay to pull in a terrible player...

Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
Tk3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not particularly happy, but I am okay with it..

I think the draft is where you build a team - FA just complements and fills holes in the short term - which I think is the purpose of this signing..

I hope this does not stop us from drafting an OL if we otherwise would have..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he's certainly no one I was targeting in FA, but then again I'm not paid to make those decisions. I wanna trust our FO, but this signing is nothing but "Meh." to me. Hopefully we at least upgraded our OL depth.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not as high on this signing as I would like. But I think he is going to be a decent player. We needed a LG and we got one. I think were going to groom J. J. Unga. It seemed like Marrone was high on Unga last season.

I think once we upgrade the RT spot we'll be in good shape. Every fan should have known we weren't going to break the bank in FA. We've done that once and it was with Mario Williams. To me this is just a solid signing and he will be better than both Colin Brown and Doug Legursky.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read an article on Bleacher Report where guards were ranked with 70 being the worst. Lergursky was rated 55, Urbik 24, and Williams was not even on the Top 70 guard list.
ProFootballFocus.com graded him as the worst player on the Rams and as one of the worst guards in the NFL.
I think we over paid for a backup lineman who will use up cap space. With the supposed conflicts in the front office, I wonder if this was Overdorf trying to show Watley who was boss.
Peace.
Billsfaninptown

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
I am not as high on this signing as I would like. But I think he is going to be a decent player. We needed a LG and we got one. I think were going to groom J. J. Unga. It seemed like Marrone was high on Unga last season.

I think once we upgrade the RT spot we'll be in good shape. Every fan should have known we weren't going to break the bank in FA. We've done that once and it was with Mario Williams. To me this is just a solid signing and he will be better than both Colin Brown and Doug Legursky.

May I ask why you think this is a solid signing? Because you think he will be better than Brown and Legursky? That's not saying much. Both are backup OL. Also he should be better than Brown or Legursky because we paid him a lot more money. He is getting starting caliber money and has never proven he is worthy. Hopefully Marrone and his staff can elevate his game. He was a 1st round pick so the talent should be there hopefully, but he has been in the league for 6 years and has been sub par. I hope I am wrong, but I have very little confidence of him panning out as a quality starting LG for the next few years.
jsnydes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: This is not a guy we need Reply with quote

StayinBuffalo wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
cdavls17 wrote:
Hahaha I love how 5 million guaranteed over 4 years is overpaid. I dont care how much is guaranteed since it is so little. My point is they didnt break the bank over a Guard. They need to fill more holes and upgrade and more positions with using the money they could have thrown at Saffold. Same reason they didnt do it last year to Levitre. Guard position is only good to a certain extent and the value to pay someone 7 million a year for that position is absurd.

5 million guaranteed is a lot for a player that isn't anything more than a replacement level back-up. It's not a ton compared to other starting free agent OG deals, but that's not what you should be comparing it to...

This guy is Collin Brown 2.0, guards ranked ahead of Williams are getting 3yrs-5 mil. If Morrone couldn't coach Brown and Layinthedirtsky to be anything more than turnstyles, this guy is not going to be much of an improvement. Williams is nothing more than a weak back-up on most play-off teams, this was a waste of money.

LMAO! Laughing

TommyC376^^^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: