Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bills sign Chris Williams Guard
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:
Hahaha I love how 5 million guaranteed over 4 years is overpaid. I dont care how much is guaranteed since it is so little. My point is they didnt break the bank over a Guard. They need to fill more holes and upgrade and more positions with using the money they could have thrown at Saffold. Same reason they didnt do it last year to Levitre. Guard position is only good to a certain extent and the value to pay someone 7 million a year for that position is absurd.

5 million guaranteed is a lot for a player that isn't anything more than a replacement level back-up. It's not a ton compared to other starting free agent OG deals, but that's not what you should be comparing it to...

IDOG_det on the sig...
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The left side of our line now weighs a combined 670 pounds Shocked

Can our RB fit through the holes?
TommyC376

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williams will look good in between Cordy Glenn and Eric Wood. I like this signing. He is better than the turnstile at LG last year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a great tweet.

Quote:
Buffalo Bills ‏@buffalobills 6m
New #Bills OL Chris Williams: "The weather didn't scare me off"

Welcome to #Buffalo! #BuffaloBlizzard pic.twitter.com/E3l4sy4DRU

BigBillsFan13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why we wouldn't take Rams fans opinions on Williams more seriously. Why are we discounting what they think of him? They know him much better than we do.

Anyhow, I don't hate the signing, but I don't love it either. He may have been a 1st round pick, but has anyone heard anything positive about him since then?
BBF doesn't get run over by cars, cars get run over by BBF
KG1187

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bears fan here confirming what Ram fans are saying. This is a huge overpay for a decent OG at best. He is charmin soft and at times doesn't seem to care. The day before his last training camp in Chicago he was smoking cigarettes at a bar and didn't make the team. The Bears line was terrible that year with JaMarcus Webb and Gabe Carimi as the starting T's. If he had been signed for close vet min its not so bad but Williams is a warm body at OG and not much more.
LeeEvans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
I don't know why we wouldn't take Rams fans opinions on Williams more seriously. Why are we discounting what they think of him? They know him much better than we do.

Anyhow, I don't hate the signing, but I don't love it either. He may have been a 1st round pick, but has anyone heard anything positive about him since then?
I agree with you to a point. There is always the chance he can turn his career around, look at Manny Lawson he was a first round bust for a long time and really has turned his career around the last two years or so. That said it definitely isn't a sure bet or does it sound like much of an improvement on what we have.

I don't think the price is that crazy, $5m guaranteed over four years, far from a huge risk. I said before that at the very worst he is good depth and you can always use that on the offensive line.

The night is dark and full of terrors.
TommyC376

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to assume that the Bills Brass did their HW on this guy, I mean the HC is a former OLine coach and player. If he is what other posters are saying I highly doubt we bring him in on Day 2 of FA. I'm happy with the signing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
I'm going to assume that the Bills Brass did their HW on this guy, I mean the HC is a former OLine coach and player. If he is what other posters are saying I highly doubt we bring him in on Day 2 of FA. I'm happy with the signing.
I'm sure the coaching staff saw something they liked in him but at the same time you cannot discount the opinions of people who have closely watched him play.

The night is dark and full of terrors.
BigBillsFan13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:

I assume every team's FO does a lot of homework on every player they bring in, but that doesn't mean that they always make the right choices.

I'm not saying that I know he's a bad G (I even said I didn't hate the signing), what I'm saying is that we shouldn't just blindly fall in love with every signing, and completely discount the opinions of others that know much more about them than we do, because 'the FO knows what they're doing'. Every FO has been wrong many times in the past.

And I'm not directing this at you or anyone else in particular, and it's not just about this signing either, just a general statement.
TommyC376

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeEvans wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
I'm sure the coaching staff saw something they liked in him but at the same time you cannot discount the opinions of people who have closely watched him play.
True, but I'm more inclined to listen/trust what our guys are doing and seeing in the front office, than I am with a bunch of guys like you and me watching CBS/Fox broadcasts and posting what i see on a football forum.

I dont want to sound like I'm discounting their opinions, but I'm taking them with a grain of salt.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
And I'm not directing this at you.
Better not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
BigBillsFan13 wrote:
And I'm not directing this at you.
Better not.

Never.

I got too much <3 for you to do that Very Happy
leeevans83d

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Marrone practically hand picked this guy. With the moves we made last year with low-profile signings, I have full confidence in Whaley and Marrone. If they like this guy, I like him. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leeevans83d wrote:
I heard Marrone practically hand picked this guy. With the moves we made last year with low-profile signings, I have full confidence in Whaley and Marrone. If they like this guy, I like him. Cool

I am 100& guilty of falling in love with every player we ever bring in. Almost no matter what.

This is no different, especially because of Marrone..I love Marrone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: