Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Earl Mitchell (DT)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChosenOne3188

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Earl Mitchell (DT) Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
here's a scouting report i wrote on him for the Vikings titled:

Earl Mitchel: Hybrid DefensiveTightEnd-FBackTackle

"Hybra-WHAAAT?"

#49 Earl Mitchell, DT/former TE-Fullback

Arizona Wildcats (four year player)
6’2 295 lbs
Hometown: Houston, TX

OK, guys, here’s an odd one…

Earl Mitchell, by all written accounts is an intelligent, well spoken, humble, team oriented player who does what is asked of him by coaches. So much so that he started his college career as a fullback, was moved to tight end, bulked up thirty pounds, and for the last two years has been a starter as a defensive TACKLE. Huh?

He’s played against the likes of Oregon/Oregon State, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Washington, and other top West Coast programs. He was a team co-captain in 2009 and even helps with recruitment in his home town.

Sports Illustrated listed him as a “riser” at the NFL Combine where he twice broke times of 4.75 seconds for the 40 yard dash. Not sure why we’d need a DT who can run fast 40’s, but my thought is slim him back down a bit and groom him to replace… Kleinsasser.

Sources:
http://www.arizonawildcats.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mitchell_earl00.html
http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildcatreport/tag/earl-mitchell/
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/earl-mitchell?id=496822#tabs:tab-overview

Sounds like a tremendous athlete. I'm assuming he is not as strong as he should be for a NT role, if they plan on using him in that way at all.

AIM/Steam/XBL: ChosenOne3188
candyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@caplannfl wrote:
Agree with former #Buccaneers GM Mark Dominik: DT Earl Mitchell is a good value for free agency. Better fit for 4-3?

Found this Adam Caplan tweet earlier today, I don't think that is a coincidence that Dominik and Hickey both saw value in Mitchell, it seems that they had targeted him for the Bucs.

@caplannfl wrote:
Market for DT Earl Mitchell should be very solid: Some teams see him as the top 3-tech DT available. Melton would be if healthy.

It seems encouraging that Bill Polian isn't the only one who sees value in Mitchell. He seems like a very intriguing player who was probably misused in Houston. If everything I've read about his fit in the 4-3 is true, we probably got a very good player at an under the market rate.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were 26th vs the Run last season, so keeping the same players is not going to fix, it. I think we needed to do something maybe this is it, maybe not. We cant fall much further in this department. So lets see if it works.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems he was well sought-after, and we signed him for what looks to be a relatively inexpensive deal. If we do indeed resign Starks, we would be getting Starks & Mitchell both for just over what Soliai would've cost.
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
It seems he was well sought-after, and we signed him for what looks to be a relatively inexpensive deal. If we do indeed resign Starks, we would be getting Starks & Mitchell both for just over what Soliai would've cost.

2 players for the price of one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphinemidget wrote:
cddolphin wrote:

2 players for the price of one.

I think Soliai is better than Starks, even if he doesn't play as many snaps, and the FA market seemed to agree, but the money wasn't right and I think Hickey did the right thing in this case.

I thought Soliai would come cheaper, and Starks would be more expensive. Good thing I'm not GM.
SUG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a Pass Rush standpoint I like this signing.
Soliai is good in a phone booth but Mitchell is clearly a better athlete & obviously sideline to sideline faster.

sug
Jonjog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did he go to school again?
Deadeye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonjog wrote:
Arizona State
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
Jonjog wrote:
Arizona State

University of Arizona...hint should have been his avatar...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: