Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaguars Sign Former Viking RB Toby Gerhart - 3/10.5 4.5G
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JagsFanInNY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngryPirate wrote:
I am pumped up about this FA period this year. It feels like I'm watching an episode of extreme couponing. Keep up the good value signings Dave!
I am not sure the Beadles or Gerhart signing were fantastic value. I am not sure they are as much of an overpayment as some other guys, but I am not thinking they are not slightly high.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Gerhart is good value considering that you will get the guy for three years in his prime and his likely cap hit won't exceed 3.5 million in any season.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All but 500k of the guaranteed money is in the first year, makes it a 1 year contract, could play full if play warrants it.

#JDI
JagsFanInNY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
Quote:
All but 500k of the guaranteed money is in the first year, makes it a 1 year contract, could play full if play warrants it.
I figured the contract would end up like that. Makes the move that much better.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
He'll be a real good guy to have in a RB by committee situation, whether that be with the guys we have or a rookie. 14-ish carries a game will be good for him.

He's going to be a pleasant surprise for you guys. As for the RB by committee, I'd argue that he's worse at RB by committee than as a #1 workhorse. Gerhart isn't a guy that can break a TD run on any given play. He needs to get carries early and often, wearing down the defense. His efficiency stats get better the more he's used. If he's going to be subbed in and out of the game, you're limiting his potential. His worst games in purple where when we used him to spell AP. When AP was out, and he got a full workload, he was at his best.

Rather, use Gerhart for the first 3 quarters to wear down the defense, then sub in a shifty guy later in the game to exploit a gassed defense.

He's a great 3rd down back as well, solid in pass-pro and catching the ball. Always falls forward. He could be next Michael Turner, stuck behind a franchise player early in his career, then exploding when he becomes the #1 for a different team. He actually had better combine numbers than Turner, and they have a similarly bruising style.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
.Buzz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus just said in his presser that the belief is that Toby Gerhart will come in and be the feature back and get likely 15+ carries and be in on 3rd down quite a bit, with Todman and D-Rob also getting some work. Good to hear, because I think Gerhart can be pretty damn solid for us.

#BortlesKombat
Tugboat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
Gus just said in his presser that the belief is that Toby Gerhart will come in and be the feature back and get likely 15+ carries and be in on 3rd down quite a bit, with Todman and D-Rob also getting some work. Good to hear, because I think Gerhart can be pretty damn solid for us.

Yeah, i really like him as the feature guy with our other guys sprinkled in. Hopefully a rookie in the mix, a bit of Todman, maybe Robinson here and there. Get some reliable carries out of Gerhart and let him do the heavy lifting, other guys to bring a bit of a different flavour when they spell him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hays Carlyon ‏@HaysCarlyon 58s

Gerhart jokes: "I'm no longer the handcuff guy." Fantasy owners will get this. #Jaguars

#BortlesKombat
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
Quote:
Hays Carlyon ‏@HaysCarlyon 58s

Gerhart jokes: "I'm no longer the handcuff guy." Fantasy owners will get this. #Jaguars

Laughing Sense of humor and a sensible contract, whats not to love?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
He'll be a real good guy to have in a RB by committee situation, whether that be with the guys we have or a rookie. 14-ish carries a game will be good for him.

He needs to be a starter to be effective. Once he finds his groove, he's really good.

14-ish carries won't be enough. Give him a solid 20-25 and you'll see.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
iPwn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed score coming out of college:

This signing would have been obvious if we paid attention. Laughing

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
iPwn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
iPwn wrote:

He needs to be a starter to be effective. Once he finds his groove, he's really good.

He's only had 20+ carries twice in his career, and had a 3.8 YPA average in those two games. His average with games where he got carries in the 11-19 range is 5.0 YPA. Obviously that's a really small sample size for both groups, but I'm sorta curious why the notion of him getting carries in that range is going to be detrimental to his production.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Tugboat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
iPwn wrote:

He's only had 20+ carries twice in his career, and had a 3.8 YPA average in those two games. His average with games where he got carries in the 11-19 range is 5.0 YPA. Obviously that's a really small sample size for both groups, but I'm sorta curious why the notion of him getting carries in that range is going to be detrimental to his production.

To me he seems more like a guy who will thrive when he can get into a rhythm with his carries. More so about the timing of the carries and getting plenty of consecutive carries in than the total number. But i'm no expert on him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should get plenty of carries with us starting the worst starting QB in the NFL.
VLoo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAJags wrote:
He should get plenty of carries with us starting the worst starting QB in the NFL.

Good thing there's no such thing as a draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: