Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agent Frenzy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 70, 71, 72  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Blanton might be better off at SS as well.

Or maybe corner
Longest Lurker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to honest I didn't think we would go after a vet safety either. Maybe this was intended as one of those reclamation projects of Zimmers. Then again, maybe he was looked at because he was a really good special team player.

According to Eagles fans - he had a lot of physical short comings, but had a lot of heart and high character. Viewed as nothing more than a special-teamer and backup safety (at least last season).

Doesn't look promising for the Vikes to sign him though... at least that is what the title of this article indicates. http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/4/12/5608434/former-eagles-safety-kurt-coleman-turns-down-offer-from-the-vikings

I think Harrison is the only solid starter that we can count on at this point. He will take one of the spots (FS or SS), but the other spot is still an open competition. Especially when you consider losing Sanford/Raymond (safety by committee approach) by next year - as both are free agents. Maybe Sendejo grabs it this year, but that is still a big if. Why not draft someone to compete with him - as I am not sold on the other depth players to provide significant competition.

"Respect for the truth is an acquired taste."
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I would guess Zimmer already knows how he plans to use Smith in a general sense.

Not having an exact idea isn't reason enough for them not to draft one. It could be one factor, but certainly not reason enough.

If you take a Safety early, you potentially lock yourself into forcing a position on Smith.

Say MN drafts a box Safety in round 2 and Smith does horribly as a Center fielder with limited range. Then what? Now you have two early picks spent on box Safetys and still dont have a viable FS.

Zimmer may have a plan with Smith, but nothing is certain, which is why I would refrain from drafting a Safety early.

Coming out in 2012, Smith was said to be best suited as a box Safety or in a Cover 2 scheme.

The fact that Zimmer has gotten by with below average talent at Safety, I think MN is fine with what they have.

Coleman at least adds veteran depth at FS in case Smith is tried at SS.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Smith doesn't have limited range? He's shown quite good range in his short time in the league.

The biggest boon to Smith is his ability to play a multitude of safety roles. I also doubt that he would be pigeonholed into a single role within the defense. Zimmer had Mays, Iloka, and Crocker playing all of the various safety roles, not one or the other. If they feel another safety in this draft potentially has that ability (Dion Bailey, IMO) I could very well see them select a safety in rounds 2-5.

This discussion has spilled over into draft territory though. I would be very happy to continue this conversation in the draft thread.
Freakout

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vikings PR ‏@VikingsPR 5m

The #Vikings have signed TE Allen Reisner.

I always liked the guy. Good 3rd or 4th tight end.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
Quote:
Vikings PR ‏@VikingsPR 5m

The #Vikings have signed TE Allen Reisner.

I always liked the guy. Good 3rd or 4th tight end.

An extra Fb as well. He is basically Rhett Ellison. Perhaps more competition at either Fb and TE will help determine what they want to do in regards to keeping a traditional Fb.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@GoesslingESPN: #Vikings were awarded former #Chargers linebacker Terrell Manning off waivers.

Interesting signing. Has already been on two rosters in as many years. He is strong run defender but has only worked in the 3-4. Will be interesting to see if he can provide anything in an even front.

Todd Gurley to Minnesota!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
Quote:
@GoesslingESPN: #Vikings were awarded former #Chargers linebacker Terrell Manning off waivers.

Interesting signing. Has already been on two rosters in as many years. He is strong run defender but has only worked in the 3-4. Will be interesting to see if he can provide anything in an even front.

Alright, we've got our ex Packer!
Freakout

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
Quote:

He played in an even front in college. He played with Audie Cole at NC State. When Cole was the SLB and Manning was the MLB.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signings all over the place!!
GH88B

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000341957/article/lamichael-james-reportedly-on-49ers-trade-block

Anybody interested in lamichael james? He could play the darren sproles role for norv's offense like in san Diego. I remember really wanting him out of oregon, his speed would be a great addition to the team.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His lack of wiggle for his size makes him unappealing.

Todd Gurley to Minnesota!
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GH88B wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000341957/article/lamichael-james-reportedly-on-49ers-trade-block

Anybody interested in lamichael james? He could play the darren sproles role for norv's offense like in san Diego. I remember really wanting him out of oregon, his speed would be a great addition to the team.

I'd probably throw a 6th or 7th at them and see if they bite.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FA's we signed this year: (not counting re-signings)

DT Linval Joseph (NYG)
CB Captain Munnerlyn (Car)
DE Corey Wooton (Chi)
DT Tom Johnson (NO)
OG Vlad Ducasse (NYJ)
CB Derek Cox (SD)
WR Lester Jean (Hou)
S Kurt Coleman (Phi)
TE Allen Reisner (Jac)
LB Jasper Brinkley (Ari)
LB Terrell Manning (SD)

Did I miss anybody?

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
since72

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a little concerned that nearly every free agent we've signed is labeled a "Zimmer reclamation project". Outside of Joseph and Munnerlyn, did we pick up anyone that can still play, without Zimmer fitting them with a pair of ruby slippers? How will Zimmer have time to be a Head Coach while running EST workshops for all the projects Spielman's been finding in the clearance bin at K-Mart?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 70, 71, 72  Next
Page 71 of 72

Jump to: