Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs Signings in FA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valkrei wrote:
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/3/19/5527204/kansas-city-chiefs-free-agent-cory-grissom

Another DL to compete

I can't knock the Grissom signing. He could give us some competition at nose tackle in training camp. My biggest concern is his injury history. Here is his NFL Draft Profile information :

Quote:

Height : 6'-1"
Weight : 306 lbs.
Arm length : 33-1/2"
Hand size : 9-1/4"
225 lb. bench press reps : 22
40 yard dash : 5.21
20 yard dash : 2.93
10 yard dash : 1.82
Vertical jump : 27-1/2"
Broad jump : 8'-1"
3 cone drill : 7.79
20 yard shuttle : 4.81

Overview

Sometimes the hardest thing to do in the NFL –- and the most important –- is simply holding one’s ground. That’s why teams are always looking for low center-of-gravity defensive tackles that can stand up to one or more of the league’s best offensive linemen shooting off the ball. Grissom has that ability, and despite his injury issues, still owns enough athleticism to challenge not only the strength of guards and centers, but also their agility.

Grissom had 13 sacks as a high school senior in Georgia, and decided to go to USF over Arkansas, North Carolina and others. Unfortunately, he couldn’t take advantage of his opportunity to play as a true freshman because after the first game of the year (two tackles) he suffered an ankle injury. He returned for the beginning of the 2009 season, but again ended up on the training table during the season due to injuries before coming back for the last three games (three starts, 11 tackles in eight games). Grissom finally stayed healthy enough to start – and consistently make an impact in – all 25 games in 2010 (16 tackles, three for loss) and 2011 (38 tackles, six for loss, 1.5 sacks). His luck couldn’t hold out through 2012 spring practices, however – he broke a bone in his right ankle. He still played in 12 games, and recorded 38 tackles (seven for loss) and two sacks. He was selected to the Coaches All-Big East second-team.

Analysis

Strengths
True nose tackle with girth in his midsection and through his lower half that he uses to hold up single blocks and double teams off the snap. Strong legs. Has a powerful punch when attacking his man off the snap, and also possesses the strong upper body and heavy hands to move opponents to either side to get to the ballcarrier while keeping himself square to the line. Occasionally swims past a drive-blocker or pulls a leaning guard forward to slingshot around him into the backfield, showing a bit more quickness than most linemen of his size and build in order to pressure quarterbacks into unloading the ball. Moves well laterally, and stays square to the line of scrimmage.

Weaknesses
Won’t be making many plays outside the box or in the backfield due to a lack of closing speed. Will get lazy and stand up off the ball, and lose leverage. Injury history.

NFL Comparison
Aubrayo Franklin

Bottom Line
Injuries have been an issue for Grissom during his career, but he worked hard to return for the start of his senior season after breaking an ankle in spring practice. When healthy, he looks like a mid-round pick as a space-eating nose tackle with enough quickness to win a gap to wrap up running backs get into the sight of quarterbacks.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/cory-grissom?id=2539305

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Diesel2692

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have reportedly signed CB Chris Owens. I got all excited when it came across my phone thought it said Chris Clemons. Sad
Kcpre

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel2692 wrote:
we have reportedly signed CB Chris Owens. I got all excited when it came across my phone thought it said Chris Clemons. Sad

That woulda been nice, but looks like this kid will be able to compete for some nickel snaps.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/3/21/5534670/kansas-city-chiefs-chris-owens-brandon-moore

Released a DL too, don't even remember seeing his name ever haha. Are we at the offseason roster limit already?
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owens brings some interesting skills. Was second in the NFL among CBs with 3 sacks last year. Has lots of speed, and will contribute in nickle and on special teams.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Owens brings some interesting skills. Was second in the NFL among CBs with 3 sacks last year. Has lots of speed, and will contribute in nickle and on special teams.

Hmm, maybe Ron Parker and Chris Owens get a shot at being the primary slot corner? I would like to see Parker get a shot at more playing time.

Kcpre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:

Hmm, maybe Ron Parker and Chris Owens get a shot at being the primary slot corner? I would like to see Parker get a shot at more playing time.

Me too, Parker seemed to make plays everytime he got a chance to get some playing time
Diesel2692

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it's not a given owens even makes the team. Even if we don't draft a CB we have right now guys like Flowers, Smith, Cooper, Parker, Van Dyke . Hoping Van Dyke can put it together and stick. Really like the speed parker and DVD and bring to our secondary.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel2692 wrote:
yeah it's not a given owens even makes the team. Even if we don't draft a CB we have right now guys like Flowers, Smith, Cooper, Parker, Van Dyke . Hoping Van Dyke can put it together and stick. Really like the speed parker and DVD and bring to our secondary.

I would really like to see Commings stay at cornerback and see if he can develop into a starting caliber outside cornerback. Maybe we can swing a deal trading Flowers to either the Browns or Jets for a second round pick and change.

Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Diesel2692 wrote:

I would really like to see Commings stay at cornerback and see if he can develop into a starting caliber outside cornerback. Maybe we can swing a deal trading Flowers to either the Browns or Jets for a second round pick and change.

you want things to happen that just aren't going to happen don't you Laughing Laughing Laughing

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
Diesel2692

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I dunno I was excited when we drafted Commings thinking then he could be a playmaking S and still feel that way. I'm anxious for him to get the chance, hopefully he can stay healthy. If he can make an impact at FS and Parker and DVD can both stick we could have a much faster and improved secondary.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
Diesel2692 wrote:

you want things to happen that just aren't going to happen don't you Laughing Laughing Laughing

Preference not a forecast.

Wink

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel2692 wrote:
Yeah I dunno I was excited when we drafted Commings thinking then he could be a playmaking S and still feel that way. I'm anxious for him to get the chance, hopefully he can stay healthy. If he can make an impact at FS and Parker and DVD can both stick we could have a much faster and improved secondary.

I guess I would like to see us add a free safety prospect and not rely on projection when it comes to free safety. Grab a Jimmie Ward or Terrance Brooks and let them compete at FS. Get Commings into development as an outside cornerback (his experience at Georgia) as a potential long term replacement for Sean Smith. Commings has some things to work on but I think he has the potential to be an above average starting caliber cornerback in our defensive scheme.

Chiefer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front office drafted Commings to be our FS though. I doubt we're gonna change our plans.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
The front office drafted Commings to be our FS though. I doubt we're gonna change our plans.

Chiefer, I think you are confusing what is my opinion on what I would prefer to do as the same as me trying to predict what our front office and coaching staff will do.

Chiefer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Chiefer wrote:

Chiefer, I think you are confusing what is my opinion on what I would prefer to do as the same as me trying to predict what our front office and coaching staff will do.
Ah okay that makes sense.

If we could get Brooks/Ward that would be awesome though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: