Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you be mad if we skipped over Bridgewater
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJD4MVP5455

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
dswinton wrote:
I would be upset. I would take Watkins over any DE in the class and hope to snatch Aj Maccaron in second or mettenburg.

You may have highlighted the wrong part

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I would be pretty mad if He was there and we passed on him. I would yell and scream about how DC is scared too draft a QB because I don't see anybody who is nearly as polished a passer coming out next year (Granted I haven't really studied anyone in depth).

Then again I was really mad when we drafted Joeckel, I didn't understand why you would draft a LT when that was basically one a few spots we had a solid player at.

Looking back now with how terrible the top of last years draft was, getting Joeckel (our top rated prospect) a 4th and a 5th is pretty good value. I would of taken Dion Jordan because Ansah was raw and we needed playmakers immediately. That's why I'm not an NFL GM Very Happy .

I guess what I'm getting at is Dave has a plan and He deserves his shot at making it happen. If he can do too the O-line what he did too the Secondary last year I'll be pretty impressed.

But regardless he needs too take a QB early, the reason we don't have a QB is because we never draft any.

Last edited by sadjag on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadjag wrote:
But regardless he needs too take a QB early, the reason we don't have a QB is because we never draft any.
This is something that gets lost, but we've drafted 1 QB in the last decade. Basically every team in the NFL has addressed the position more than we have.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
sadjag

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vino wrote:
iPwn wrote:
I'm saying that he could be, and that he has a far better chance of reaching that ceiling than the imaginary ceilings that all these other QBs are given that they can't reach because they can't develop anywhere near as far as Teddy already is developed mentally. Teddy's going to be, at minimum, a top 10 QB, and likely a top 5, borderline All Pro year in, year out.
Yeah, naw. You can't put those types of expectations on any prospect, espiecally considering Brady and Rodgers came into very good situations that helped their growth. Bridgewater would be coming into the exact opposite situation as they did. Very little talent around him, not a great defense, and the only other QBs on the roster suck. You sound way too in love with him. There's no way you can predict he will be an All-Pro based solely on his mental make-up, much less argue that no other QB in the draft can ever match him because of it. That sounds silly.

Quote:
We have bookend tackles, so we only have a need at three spots. We have 9 draft picks (4 in rounds 2-4) outside of the one that would be used on Teddy, in a draft that is heavy in quality interior o-linemen in the middle rounds, and we have $50 million in cap space. We'll have no trouble finding three interior linemen.

Yeah, and when we bring them in they will all be playing together for the first time ever, we're starting completely from square one again, especially since Joekel basically didn't play his freshmen season. The only legit hold over we'll have is Pasztor at RT and Bradfield at depth. This will be a completely new line trying to learn each others' tendencies and get used to the zone-blocking scheme, that took half the season last year. Not to mention you're just assuming all the guys we get will be good in the first place. That's a lot of if's and maybes, and no definites. Are we really going to throw a rookie QB into that kind of situation, especially when none of them are perceived as being especially exceptional (your opinion on Teddy notwithstanding)? This situation has more potential to produce David Carr 2.0 than Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. I'd feel more comfortable putting the guy we just signed as a bridge behind that crap than a QB we spend a top 3 pick on.

Quote:
He doesn't. That argument went out the window when he weighed in at the combine.
No, that does not automatically negate it. He still has a thin frame, as I said months ago, that will not change just by putting on a couple pounds for the combine. I correctly predicted he would come around 6'2'' 215lbs and said then that would not change anything. It's also not like it's a sure thing he will even keep on the weight he added on for the combine. I'm interested in seeing what he runs for his 40 at his pro-day. He may have not wanted to run at the combine because the added weight he put on slowed him down and he may run at his pro-day a couple pounds lighter.
If physical tools and upside were all it took too be great then we would be golden, Gabby's on the frickin roster. The reason I'm so sold on Teddy is because he has got the important things Gabbert doesn't like accuracy and anticipation.

This whole notion that a player has low upside because he is technically polished is asinine. The slight frame issue is also dumb if he had a long history of injuries then maybe. If anything Teddy has showed +toughness by playing well through injuries.

Please if your going to criticize him then find something real like deep ball accuracy for instance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
sadjag wrote:
This is something that gets lost, but we've drafted 1 QB in the last decade. Basically every team in the NFL has addressed the position more than we have.

Whoa. When you put it that way, that's actually pretty nuts. It is kinda easy to forget how long ago the whole Leftwich mistake was i guess, it still seems like just yesterday. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
iPwn wrote:
sadjag wrote:

Whoa. When you put it that way, that's actually pretty nuts. It is kinda easy to forget how long ago the whole Leftwich mistake was i guess, it still seems like just yesterday. Laughing

Leftwich was more than a decade ago. He's talking about Gabbert.

You're welcome.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
Tugboat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Tugboat wrote:
iPwn wrote:
sadjag wrote:

You're welcome.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Tugboat wrote:
iPwn wrote:
sadjag wrote:

You're welcome.

FTFY

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
jagman777

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would cry
JagsFanInNY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gonna happen. After all, the Jaguars are drafting Connor Shaw to be their new QB!! http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000332405/article/jaguars-seahawks-keeping-up-with-connor-shaw?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dswinton wrote:
I heard people put Watkins on the same level as Aj Green and Julio Jones which I agree maybe we can do the Cincy combo of Wr/Qb. This was my whole scenario I wanted us to snag a decent leo out FA that way we could go Teddy one Kelvin Benjamin/Jordan Matthews 2 than some RB in the third. I know we need a pass rusher though I just think Watkins BPA if Bridgewater is gone.

You cannot keep ignoring the trenches though, drafting a WR that high is a luxury pick and most teams that do that either have an established defense, QB and or OL. Cincinnati was also lucky enough to get a QB that was ready to start day 1 whereas i see no one in this draft id feel comfortable taking in round 2 or 3(that would legitimately be there). Yes you cannot count on Blackmon and in all honesty you probably wont be able to fully trust him, but Clowney is a superior prospect at a far more important position

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really depends -

If they decide to take Clowney and then Garoppolo in the 2nd, no, I won't be upset. In fact, that might be just as good since I believe that Garoppolo is a major dark horse at QB.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrvegeeta wrote:
Really depends -

If they decide to take Clowney and then Garoppolo in the 2nd, no, I won't be upset. In fact, that might be just as good since I believe that Garoppolo is a major dark horse at QB.

Depending on what teams draft QB in the first round, there could be 3-4 teams looking to pick a QB before us in the second round. People seem to have this notion that "Well if we don't take one in the first round we will take any other QB we want in the second".

I am sure we will take Clowney and Mack in the first, but I am also sure Henne will start almost all of next season. Making it completely unwatchable for me.
RandomCampBody

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garopollo really isn't that good, he's 3rd or fourth rounder to me. The longer he holds the ball the worse he get's.
NFLScout101

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomCampBody wrote:
Garopollo really isn't that good, he's 3rd or fourth rounder to me. The longer he holds the ball the worse he get's.

No pocket presence, curls up a la Gabbert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: