Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you be mad if we skipped over Bridgewater
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJD4MVP5455

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id be miffed until I watch whoever we pick play (kinda like when we picked Monroe over Crabtree)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine if we spend 3-4 years building the team and ignoring the QB or getting garbage filler QBs. Then we are ready to compete and finally draft a high rated QB prospect.

That prospect busts and all of the years of building will be wasted as players come off contract.

We will literally be the Browns.
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAJags wrote:
Imagine if we spend 3-4 years building the team and ignoring the QB or getting garbage filler QBs. Then we are ready to compete and finally draft a high rated QB prospect.

That prospect busts and all of the years of building will be wasted as players come off contract.

or he doesn't bust and we will be the Seahawks

either way, we will literally be the Jaguars...

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJD4MVP5455 wrote:
Id be miffed until I watch whoever we pick play (kinda like when we picked Monroe over Crabtree)

SO happy we took Monroe on draft and he still was good for us, but not in the future plans i guess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
IAJags wrote:

I was never an 'In Gene We Trust' guy and I refuse to be that way with Dave until I see his grand plan actually work out.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAJags wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
IAJags wrote:

I was never an 'In Gene We Trust' guy and I refuse to be that way with Dave until I see his grand plan actually work out.
There's middle ground between blindly following and expecting everything that a guy does that isn't your #1 option to be a failure.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
IAJags wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
IAJags wrote:

There's middle ground between blindly following and expecting everything that a guy does that isn't your #1 option to be a failure.

no that can't be it

Vino

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
I'm saying that he could be, and that he has a far better chance of reaching that ceiling than the imaginary ceilings that all these other QBs are given that they can't reach because they can't develop anywhere near as far as Teddy already is developed mentally. Teddy's going to be, at minimum, a top 10 QB, and likely a top 5, borderline All Pro year in, year out.
Yeah, naw. You can't put those types of expectations on any prospect, espiecally considering Brady and Rodgers came into very good situations that helped their growth. Bridgewater would be coming into the exact opposite situation as they did. Very little talent around him, not a great defense, and the only other QBs on the roster suck. You sound way too in love with him. There's no way you can predict he will be an All-Pro based solely on his mental make-up, much less argue that no other QB in the draft can ever match him because of it. That sounds silly.

Quote:
We have bookend tackles, so we only have a need at three spots. We have 9 draft picks (4 in rounds 2-4) outside of the one that would be used on Teddy, in a draft that is heavy in quality interior o-linemen in the middle rounds, and we have $50 million in cap space. We'll have no trouble finding three interior linemen.

Yeah, and when we bring them in they will all be playing together for the first time ever, we're starting completely from square one again, especially since Joekel basically didn't play his freshmen season. The only legit hold over we'll have is Pasztor at RT and Bradfield at depth. This will be a completely new line trying to learn each others' tendencies and get used to the zone-blocking scheme, that took half the season last year. Not to mention you're just assuming all the guys we get will be good in the first place. That's a lot of if's and maybes, and no definites. Are we really going to throw a rookie QB into that kind of situation, especially when none of them are perceived as being especially exceptional (your opinion on Teddy notwithstanding)? This situation has more potential to produce David Carr 2.0 than Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. I'd feel more comfortable putting the guy we just signed as a bridge behind that crap than a QB we spend a top 3 pick on.

Quote:
He doesn't. That argument went out the window when he weighed in at the combine.
No, that does not automatically negate it. He still has a thin frame, as I said months ago, that will not change just by putting on a couple pounds for the combine. I correctly predicted he would come around 6'2'' 215lbs and said then that would not change anything. It's also not like it's a sure thing he will even keep on the weight he added on for the combine. I'm interested in seeing what he runs for his 40 at his pro-day. He may have not wanted to run at the combine because the added weight he put on slowed him down and he may run at his pro-day a couple pounds lighter.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vino wrote:
Yeah, naw. You can't put those types of expectations on any prospect, espiecally considering Brady and Rodgers came into very good situations that helped their growth. Bridgewater would be coming into the exact opposite situation as they did.
could be ≠ an expectation

Quote:
Very little talent around him, not a great defense, and the only other QBs on the roster suck.
Like the situations that Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and countless others were drafted into.

Quote:
You sound way too in love with him.
Maybe if you weren't twisting what I said, it wouldn't seem that way...

Quote:
There's no way you can predict he will be an All-Pro based solely on his mental make-up,
Good thing I've spent the entire year talking about his other skills too, then. I also didn't say that he would be an All Pro. I said that he would be top 10, and could likely (not will) be borderline All Pro.

Quote:
much less argue that no other QB in the draft can ever match him because of it. That sounds silly.
Well I'm glad I never argued that. More likely to hit his "low ceiling" than others are to hit their "high ceilings" ≠ other guys can't have similar or better actual results.

[quote]Yeah, and when we bring them in they will all be playing together for the first time ever, we're starting completely from square one again, especially since Joekel basically didn't play his freshmen season. The only legit hold over we'll have is Pasztor at RT and Bradfield at depth.

Quote:
This will be a completely new line trying to learn each others' tendencies and get used to the zone-blocking scheme, that took half the season last year.
They're not going to have to learn zone blocking. They will take guys who are already zone blockers. This staff isn't going to take guys who aren't capable of playing the scheme.

Quote:
Not to mention you're just assuming all the guys we get will be good in the first place. That's a lot of if's and maybes, and no definites.
I don't get where I assumed that.

Quote:
Are we really going to throw a rookie QB into that kind of situation, especially when none of them are perceived as being especially exceptional (your opinion on Teddy notwithstanding)? This situation has more potential to produce David Carr 2.0 than Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. I'd feel more comfortable putting the guy we just signed as a bridge behind that crap than a QB we spend a top 3 pick on.
Yeah, we should totally wait to draft a QB until we're no longer bad enough to get a top pick.

Quote:
No, that does not automatically negate it. He still has a thin frame, as I said months ago, that will not change just by putting on a couple pounds for the combine. I correctly predicted he would come around 6'2'' 215lbs and said then that would not change anything. It's also not like it's a sure thing he will even keep on the weight he added on for the combine. I'm interested in seeing what he runs for his 40 at his pro-day. He may have not wanted to run at the combine because the added weight he put on slowed him down and he may run at his pro-day a couple pounds lighter.
His small frame is no smaller than Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Matt Ryan. He put on weight, and showed that he can carry that weight just fine. Everyone, except you, realizes it's no longer an issue. It was never an issue to begin with, but the fact that he came in where he should have ended the discussion.

Further, this is all about the idea that he has a low ceiling. He doesn't. There is nothing about him as a player that you can point to and say definitively that he can't become an elite QB. Andy Dalton is a guy with a low ceiling. He doesn't have the physical traits to be great, and doesn't have the mental aspect down either. There's no such hitch in Teddy. If everything that went right for Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers goes right for Teddy Bridgewater, he will be every bit as good as they are. Does that mean that he's absolutely going to be as good as them? No. But it also says that his "low ceiling" is an unjustified knock on him. These guys with "higher ceilings" have aspects that are ridiculously unobtainable. For instance, Cam Newton's "ceiling" is that of a guy who could be the greatest passer and runner (at QB) in NFL history. He's never going to reach that potential. He can be great, but mentally, he's never going to be the surgeon that Peyton or Brady are. Teddy can be that type of player mentally, but he won't have the same pure physical "height" that Cam has.

If everything goes right for Teddy, he can be Peyton Manning. If everything goes right for Cam, he could be Peyton Manning + Mike Vick. But Teddy's more likely to come closer to his ceiling than Cam is. That doesn't mean that Cam can't be great, and that they both can't be of equal greatness, it just means that Teddy's ceiling is more obtainable because of his incredibly advanced mental make up.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
dswinton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be upset. I would take Watkins over any DE in the class and hope to snatch Aj Maccaron in second or mettenburg.

"Thanks for the great sig MoJo122-b-21, one of the best alive".
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dswinton wrote:
I would be upset. I would take Watkins over any DE in the class and hope to snatch Aj Maccaron in second or mettenburg.

dswinton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta think about it bro, we have no number one WR I believe Blackmon gets suspended for 4 to 8 games when he comes back. I get that we need pass rushers but I think its some out in the later rounds our offense has 0 playmakers outside of Blackmon. I also believe that Watkins is the best player in the draft. But make no mistake I want Bridgewater.

Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dswinton wrote:
You gotta think about it bro, we have no number one WR I believe Blackmon gets suspended for 4 to 8 games when he comes back. I get that we need pass rushers but I think its some out in the later rounds our offense has 0 playmakers outside of Blackmon. I also believe that Watkins is the best player in the draft. But make no mistake I want Bridgewater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCRZteu1H4w

JagsFanInNY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dswinton wrote:
Well I am very glad you have no say in who this team actually ends up drafting because McCarron is awful, the other QB is named Zack Mettenberger and in a deep draft at WR and a load of other needs, it makes less than no sense to take Sammy Watkins.
dswinton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard people put Watkins on the same level as Aj Green and Julio Jones which I agree maybe we can do the Cincy combo of Wr/Qb. This was my whole scenario I wanted us to snag a decent leo out FA that way we could go Teddy one Kelvin Benjamin/Jordan Matthews 2 than some RB in the third. I know we need a pass rusher though I just think Watkins BPA if Bridgewater is gone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: