Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3 reasons why the Saints should trade Ingram, not Thomas:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: 3 reasons why the Saints should trade Ingram, not Thomas: Reply with quote

With Darren Sproles long gone, much debate has been made about the possible release / trade of long-time Saints fan favorite Pierre Thomas but here are 3 reasons why it should be Mark Ingram shipped out of town and not the Saints veteran versatile backÖ

1. Mark Ingram is in his final year as a Saint anyway!
Letís get one thing straight hereÖ Khiry Robinson is the new sheriff in town when it comes to the Saints backfield. The former undrafted rookie free agent is clearly the more talented back between him and Ingram and despite the Saints back by committee approach, it will be Robinson who will emerge as the clear 1A of the two. If Ingram is allowed to play out the final year of his contract, the Saints will have no leverage in getting something in return for his services as he will become an unrestricted free agent in 2015 with little doubt the Saints would decline his 5th year option on his rookie contract. The idea of Ingram landing a long-term contract extension with the Saints next offseason is also highly unlikely as it would be Robinson the team would prefer to lock up long-term and I doubt Ingram would want to remain in New Orleans to play second fiddle to Robinson any longer. The more likely scenario is that Ingram will opt for a fresh start with another franchise next year so the Saints should strike now while Ingram still possesses some trade value. Mark Ingram ended the 2013 season on a high note and posted a 4.9 yard per carry average witch is truly respectful. The odds are that some running back needy team will look at Ingram as a player simply in need of more opportunities and it would not be out of the realm of possibility that the Saints could land anywhere from a 3rd to 4th round pick for his services in a very deep draft.

2. Pierre Thomas can still be a much more valuable asset to the Saints than Ingram.
First offÖ despite Thomas ending the year on the sideline with injuries, itís he not Ingram that is the more reliable player when it comes to the injury bug. Thomas for the most part has been one of the more durable players the Saints have had in Sean Paytonís tenure. Thomasís versatility also plays a major role in the need to keep him over Ingram. Pierre Thomas is one of the best pass protecting backs in the league as well as being maybe the best screen back in the NFL. Heís a tough runner who doesnít have a wow factor to his style but has a toughness about him and a relentless to his punishing style that is infectious throughout the entire offense. The bottom line is that all in all, Pierre Thomas is simply a better all-around running back than Mark Ingram. So instead of keeping Ingram on a one year rental, the better option would be to sign Thomas to a team friendly 3 year deal and keep him onboard as Robinsonís mentor and reliable backup. Sure another younger back will likely have to be brought in but that will happen anyways. At 29 years old (wonít turn 30 till mid-December) Thomas still has a lot to offer the Saints, more so than the younger Mark Ingram.

3. Pierre Thomas embodies everything that Sean Payton has built his program on.
Everyone knows why the Saints always lands some of the top undrafted free agents after the draftÖ itís because when Sean Payton tells a prospect that heíll be given a fair opportunity to make his roster they only have to look at his track record to see that heís telling the truth. Payton always says that it doesnít matter how you got here, itís what you do once youíre here that matters.

Remember Antonio Pittman?

Drafted in the 4th round by the Saints only to be beat out for the job by an unheard of undrafted rookie out of Illinois in Pierre Thomas. Since then Thomas has only continued to be the embodiment of the type of personality that Payton wants his team built upon. Since his arrival in 2007, Pierre Thomas has out lasted and out produced two former 1st round running backs and Heisman trophy winners in Reggie Bush and Mark Ingram. He was a catalyst of an offensive engine that delivered the city of New Orleans our first and only world championship. His leadership and work ethic has been a constant throughout Paytonís tenure and there is literally no better veteran qualified to help Khiry Robinson develop into the best professional he can be. There is a reason Thomas has become so beloved in this city, he plays the game the right way and represents the embodiment and donít quit attitude that permeates through this town. For his entire career Pierre Thomas has been guy we could always depend on to give his all each and every play, what better way to repay him for all his hard work and dedication than showing him a little dedication ourselves.

WHODAT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Fray32

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to get rid of either, but if we can only keep one, keep the cheaper of the two.

Even when Ingram was setting up shop in "slumpville" I still respected his great attitude and work ethic. From a mental standpoint, he is ideal in every way. Now that he appears to have turned a corner and can actually produce as a running back on the field, I really do not want to get rid of him. Thomas is more versatile and Ingram still definitely stands to improve, but both of these guys are great to have in the locker room and both can contribute to this team.

This time last year I was most definitely not singing Ingram's praises either, he really convinced me just in this past season that he's beginning to put his struggles in his rearview.
unfsaint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely disagree with you. PT is running on fumes.

AGE YPC YPR
27 5.1 8.5
28 4.5 9.1
29 3.7 6.7

To say that a RB turning 30 years old has lots to offer quite honestly is laughable. He was a shell of his former self last season. He WAS one of the great screen backs...but certainly not last season. I am not saying that I don't want PT apart of the team...now that Sproles is gone...he is the best pass blocking RB on the team. But we still need running backs. I am as big of a fan of Khiry as any...but there is no way that I am putting all of my eggs in his basket. He needs to prove that he can carry the load for more than a few games...and needs to show that he can protect Brees on blitz pickups. Khiry and the artist formerly known as PT would be a big mistake. If Ingram looks like he did in the second half of the season...he will be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade to a 30 year old Pierre Thomas.

~Sir William Osler
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are looking at this all wrong. Instead of it being a mark Ingram vs the rest of our RBs, I believe in something different.

Sean Payton is all in on the power running scheme. What better way to show this than by cutting his screen/matchup nightmare in Sproles and shopping the multi-talented Thomas? He sees the future of offenses and how 3/4 of the beat teams in the NFC ( which is the best conference in the NFL ) have a dominant defense and a power running game at their core. Well, last year, with all the injuries, we showed that we have a dominant defense. Now we hope to emulate the running game and add our own flair to it in a way that only New Orleans and Sean Payton can. Take away the running game and you cannot possibly argue that SF, Car (whom I believe will regress this year) and Seattle have a better passing game than us. With Payton committing to the power running game, I firmly believe that makes us a better offense than any of the above listed. Now it's up to Sean to get us the right pieces for the rest of our offense and actually COMMIT to the running game.

2014 Adopt a Saint:

Khiry Robinson
ATT YDS TD LONG
I STOPPED CARING.

Keenan Lewis
T PD INT
STILL DONT CARE
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sean Payton is all in on the power running scheme.

If this is true than right tackle just became a very high priority and Strief should not be even attempted to be resigned.

unfsaint

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Quote:

If this is true than right tackle just became a very high priority and Strief should not be even attempted to be resigned.

I agree. I think that RT is a need and it wouldn't shock me if we spent our 1st rounder on the position. With our success in bringing up high upside OL guys...we should probably take advantage of the very deep OT class. I am a huge fan of Biller Turner from North Dakota State. He is the prototypical Saints mid-round success story and would be a great fit at RT.

~Sir William Osler
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfsaint wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Quote:

I agree. I think that RT is a need and it wouldn't shock me if we spent our 1st rounder on the position. With our success in bringing up high upside OL guys...we should probably take advantage of the very deep OT class. I am a huge fan of Biller Turner from North Dakota State. He is the prototypical Saints mid-round success story and would be a great fit at RT.

If we burned a first rounder on a RT, I'd be pissed beyond words. RTs are just huge, brutes that, more often than not, aren't quite as athletic as a LT. Just draft a big boy that's got a nasty streak in him late.

2014 Adopt a Saint:

Khiry Robinson
ATT YDS TD LONG
I STOPPED CARING.

Keenan Lewis
T PD INT
STILL DONT CARE
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

101stSaintsFan wrote:
unfsaint wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Quote:

If we burned a first rounder on a RT, I'd be pissed beyond words. RTs are just huge, brutes that, more often than not, aren't quite as athletic as a LT. Just draft a big boy that's got a nasty streak in him late.

Agreed but It's a need none the less... and a major one at that if the Saints intend to employ a power running game in 2014. Strief will likely find the free agent market to rich to turn down and he's not a very good run blocker to begin with. Bryce Harris and Marcel Jones leave a lot to be desired, if a talent like Cyrus Kouanjio, Antonio Richardson or Jack Mewhort fall to the Saints at 59 i doubt they will pass.

unfsaint

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word on the street is that Pierre Thomas just signed an extension to lower his cap number. I am not going to hold my breath considering the confusion over Sproles' situation.

~Sir William Osler
Porter22

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfsaint wrote:
Word on the street is that Pierre Thomas just signed an extension to lower his cap number. I am not going to hold my breath considering the confusion over Sproles' situation.

It's official! Wink Sproles will be gone and Thomas will be here for another 2 years at least!

QB Drew Brees - 1,203 YDs ; 7 TD ; 3 INT ; 71.4% Pct

DB Patrick Robinson - 12 Tackles, 3 PDefs, 1 INT
Harper41

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saints said Sproles has received tons of interest, yet I haven't heard a peep about a trade. Weird.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: