Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

El Threado del Free Agents
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
game3525

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am fine with Lissemore will be the starter next year. I can see the team waiting till after the draft to snag a vet as a backup. We did that with Franklin back in 2012.
Zappaz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Johnston ‏@ChargersPRguy 4m
Two more UFAs coming to SD: LB Reggie Walker is returning and team has agreed with CB Brandon Ghee from Bengals. Both are two-year deals

I'm glad Walker is back, he seemed to play pretty dang good towards the end of the year. Noticed him around the ball quite a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walker is pretty good on ST, so that is a plus. Don't know much about Ghee though.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walker seemed to do whatever was asked of him. He played ILB, and OLB, and is undersized for both. Good on ST's too.

Ghee has good measurables. Hope they can get him to do something with it.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Walker seemed to do whatever was asked of him. He played ILB, and OLB, and is undersized for both. Good on ST's too.

Ghee's another corner whose strength was man-coverage and running stride for stride with his assignment. Am I to believe that Pagano and Milus have finally decided to scrap this abhorrent 7-yard cushion soft-zone crap, or are we just forcing another square peg into the same round hole the other square pegs didn't fit in?

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

Ghee's another corner whose strength was man-coverage and running stride for stride with his assignment. Am I to believe that Pagano and Milus have finally decided to scrap this abhorrent 7-yard cushion soft-zone crap, or are we just forcing another square peg into the same round hole the other square pegs didn't fit in?

Coverage is coverage. Didn't you know that? Zone, man, same difference.

I'm doubting things will change. Every CB on the roster last year played better in press-man, but they only ran it a few times a game. Cox is the only one gone, and they replaced him with a guys who's strength is the same. So far nothing has changed.

The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
The LBC wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

Coverage is coverage. Didn't you know that? Zone, man, same difference.

I'm doubting things will change. Every CB on the roster last year played better in press-man, but they only ran it a few times a game. Cox is the only one gone, and they replaced him with a guys who's strength is the same. So far nothing has changed.

Pretty much what I'm figuring... and also why in spite of all the "he didn't exactly have great talent to work with" arguments, I was still a big advocate of letting Pags go and replacing him this off-season (mercifully, I think his contract runs out after this year and, barring some monumental turnaround, repeating the status quo of the past two seasons shouldn't merit an extension) - because there's some sort of disconnect between who the front office is bringing in as player personnel and how the coaching staff is using them (i.e. against the grain of their strengths).

That last bit isn't exactly a stellar review of Telesco either, but to be honest I'm of the opinion that Milus can't coach his way out of a paper bag. He was the same way in Denver and the same way in Carolina. Look at the CB's they brought in with him there relative to the system they ran: Omar Bolden, Tracy Porter, Rahim Moore, Mike Adams - all guys whose biggest calling card is their straight line speed but who struggle in transition.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chargers need to go after Wilfork if he's available. He would make the D-Line better and the defense overall.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chargers can't afford Wilfork.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers re-signed CB Richard Marshall to a one-year contract.
Marshall, 29, appeared in all 16 games for the Bolts last season, starting the final six and the two playoff games. He's a burn victim in coverage but isn't afraid to get his nose dirty in the run game at 5-foot-11, 198 pounds. GM Tom Telesco is trying to piece a cornerback depth chart together. Ideally, Marshall is a No. 3 or 4. The journeyman also has experience at safety.

I really hope the plan isn't to have him start again.

The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers re-signed CB Richard Marshall to a one-year contract.
Marshall, 29, appeared in all 16 games for the Bolts last season, starting the final six and the two playoff games. He's a burn victim in coverage but isn't afraid to get his nose dirty in the run game at 5-foot-11, 198 pounds. GM Tom Telesco is trying to piece a cornerback depth chart together. Ideally, Marshall is a No. 3 or 4. The journeyman also has experience at safety.

I really hope the plan isn't to have him start again.

Probably not Plan A, B, or C. But having someone him back on a cheap contract when he already knows the system and playbook and allowing us to not feel pigeonholed into taking a 1st round CB isn't a bad thing.

Unlike the regime of Norv, McCoy and Co. have shown that they're not shy about benching a guy for a more productive player on the depth chart if it's earned - e.g. Thomas benched for Lissemore, Cox benched for Marshall. There's no guarantee that Marshall even makes it out of camp - remember the Max Starks signing of last season? Starting cover. Everybody earns their spot here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chargers are at $5.93M. RT @MrNafta @AlbertBreer Every site has the Chargers at under 3mil in capspace,

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/444579521564803072

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevetslc wrote:
Quote:
Chargers are at $5.93M. RT @MrNafta @AlbertBreer Every site has the Chargers at under 3mil in capspace,

Yeah, I'd say unless someone's willing to take a sweet deal that only pays them $1m or less in Y1, we're not signing anyone else till after the draft. We're going to need that cap-space to sign our rookies... and before anyone bring up Clary - again, they're not going to create another hole just to create it and have the money to "maybe" sign someone else (and if that someone else wasn't a starter at another position, we're actually downgrading... even with it being Clary staying in that instance), Clary won't be cut (if he's cut) until there's someone on the roster legitimately threatening his starting spot (and even then, the team will likely use that as leverage to try to get him to take a pay-cut to stay and play his contract out).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate you.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
kramxel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
nevetslc wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I'd say unless someone's willing to take a sweet deal that only pays them $1m or less in Y1, we're not signing anyone else till after the draft. We're going to need that cap-space to sign our rookies... and before anyone bring up Clary - again, they're not going to create another hole just to create it and have the money to "maybe" sign someone else (and if that someone else wasn't a starter at another position, we're actually downgrading... even with it being Clary staying in that instance), Clary won't be cut (if he's cut) until there's someone on the roster legitimately threatening his starting spot (and even then, the team will likely use that as leverage to try to get him to take a pay-cut to stay and play his contract out).

Ever since i heard McCoy talk about Clary as a locker room example, I've lost hope of seing outright cut....

I understand there's no rush in cutting him right now, either.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: