Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chris Johnson - A Titan in 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VY-FTW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh. Hes more and likely gone.

Tho it would be nice to see how Whiz uses him.

Im okay with whatever they decide to do TBH.

CalhounLambeau on the sig!

Adopt-A-Titan:
-Nate "The Great" Washington
Rec: 5 Yds: 55 TD: 0
-Ryan Succop
FG: 5/5 Long: 47 XP: 3/3
Justin615$

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironlion wrote:
CJ can pass protect
CJ doesn't fumble
CJ stays healthy

I don't see any way we cut him. I also don understand how anyone could want to cut CJ but keep Shaun Greene. That's laughable to me.

You think the new staff is going to cut out best player and go into next season with no offense. Locker is still injured and he's development is up for discussion. You think the new staff will bring in new backs in the draft when they need to bring in a new defense? You think the new staff will want a running back that potentially has ball security issues? CJ is worth $8mil just for his ball security with this new staff.

I think that many fans jumped on the CJ is garbage bandwagon without any thought, and now your stuck there.

CJ will be a Titan and he will run for 1400+ yards in wiz's new system. The guy made Ryan Matthews look like LT.

Don't sell you CJ jerseys yet.

You don't pay someone 8 million to not fumble the ball. You pay someone 8 million to be a face of the franchise, to get over 3.9 ypc, and to be the home run hitter he was supposed to be. We could pay someone 1 million (draft pick) and get the same exact production or even better. I am a CJ fan but I am not so ignorant to think you have to pay him 8 million, that's ridiculous and it's embarrassing when Titans fan say something like that because it actually shows how little you know. If he would take a big pay cut I would love to keep him but he will not do that. There is no way anyone should pay him that. I think he can still be good and might be even better in Whiz's system, but no way he is worth 8 million.

2014 Adopt-A-Titan
1. Michael Griffin : 23 TKLS, 0 SACKS, 1 INTS, 1 PDEF
2. Mike Martin : 5 TKLS, 0 SACKS
MdTitansFan56

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin615$ wrote:
ironlion wrote:
CJ can pass protect
CJ doesn't fumble
CJ stays healthy

I don't see any way we cut him. I also don understand how anyone could want to cut CJ but keep Shaun Greene. That's laughable to me.

You think the new staff is going to cut out best player and go into next season with no offense. Locker is still injured and he's development is up for discussion. You think the new staff will bring in new backs in the draft when they need to bring in a new defense? You think the new staff will want a running back that potentially has ball security issues? CJ is worth $8mil just for his ball security with this new staff.

I think that many fans jumped on the CJ is garbage bandwagon without any thought, and now your stuck there.

CJ will be a Titan and he will run for 1400+ yards in wiz's new system. The guy made Ryan Matthews look like LT.

You don't pay someone 8 million to not fumble the ball. You pay someone 8 million to be a face of the franchise, to get over 3.9 ypc, and to be the home run hitter he was supposed to be. We could pay someone 1 million (draft pick) and get the same exact production or even better. I am a CJ fan but I am not so ignorant to think you have to pay him 8 million, that's ridiculous and it's embarrassing when Titans fan say something like that because it actually shows how little you know. If he would take a big pay cut I would love to keep him but he will not do that. There is no way anyone should pay him that. I think he can still be good and might be even better in Whiz's system, but no way he is worth 8 million.

Last year in the first half of the first Colts game he showed he can still be good. He was running like the old CJ. Running hard like he was trying to prove something. I have no idea what happened the 2nd half but he ended up having maybe 20 more yard if that. But the effort isn't always there. Granted sometimes the oline was terrible past couple of years but he definitely wasn't running like he used to or the first half of that game. Which shows you the effort just isn't always there. I think he would do good with Whiz if he ran hard but 8 million is to much to hope he runs hard every game. Give me a rookie or one of the 2 free agents (Gerhart or Tate) if they come for the right price. I love CJ but I don't see him coming back unless he takes a pay cut which isn't happening

1. Alex Morgan 2.San Antonio Spurs 3. Chicago White Sox 4. Ohio State 5. Buckeyes 6. Philadelphia Flyers
ironlion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin615$ wrote:
ironlion wrote:
CJ can pass protect
CJ doesn't fumble
CJ stays healthy

Well CJ is still on the team. You seem to be very condescending because I don't share your opinion. I could accuse you of knowing nothing and I'm embarrassed for you.

People act like they're paying CJ.

CJ tore his meniscus last year(that's in his knee) and he still played every single game. I'm sorry but Kendall wright may be a good player but his play depends on the qb play.

Everyone here seems to be the titans cap expert regarding CJ. Last I checked you were just a fan not a member of the front office. The only running back the titans are cutting in my opinion is shonn Greene. Why? Because he can't stay healthy and when he is playing he doesn't produce jack. People act like Greene is an undercover Adrian Peterson. He's not. I watched him play lots in ny and last year in Tennessee.

My embarrassing opinion is that the front office knows he is their best bet at starting the season at running back. It will be nice to see CJ play with an NFL calibre offense for a change.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironlion wrote:
Justin615$ wrote:
ironlion wrote:
CJ can pass protect
CJ doesn't fumble
CJ stays healthy

Well CJ is still on the team. You seem to be very condescending because I don't share your opinion. I could accuse you of knowing nothing and I'm embarrassed for you.

CJ tore his meniscus last year(that's in his knee) and he still played every single game. I'm sorry but Kendall wright may be a good player but his play depends on the qb play.

Everyone here seems to be the titans cap expert regarding CJ. Last I checked you were just a fan not a member of the front office. The only running back the titans are cutting in my opinion is shonn Greene. Why? Because he can't stay healthy and when he is playing he doesn't produce jack. People act like Greene is an undercover Adrian Peterson. He's not. I watched him play lots in ny and last year in Tennessee.

My embarrassing opinion is that the front office knows he is their best bet at starting the season at running back. It will be nice to see CJ play with an NFL calibre offense for a change.

No one said anything about Greene benign great or anything like that. Fact is he's making way less than your way overpaid CJ. And no I'm not in the front office but I know at some point, Ruston and Co. have come out and said in meetings, why are being a guy 8mil a year when he can't do anything without a great scheme, great blocking, etc. CJ lovers like you will always blame everyone else except for their boy. Great and even good RBs can make plays without great O-Lines and schemes. We'll here the same story next year if we keep CJ(Whiz scheme sucks, O-Line is still garbage, it was all Locker's fault, etc.). The guy is done. Let me rephrase that, the guy has been done since he received that big time check. That's all he was playing for. He got his money and now he's just coasting. It's common sense, cut a player that isn't producing for what he's getting paid. Don't have to be a cap expert to know that.
Justin615$

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironlion wrote:
Justin615$ wrote:
ironlion wrote:
CJ can pass protect
CJ doesn't fumble
CJ stays healthy

Your going to be pretty disappointed soon if you really do actually think CJ will be back at 8 million. I don't know why you keep saying everyone loves Greene because I don't think any of us here want him to be the guy. I am not even a big fan of him myself. I think most of us would be okay if CJ came back with a big pay cut. We all want a draft pick to come in and replace him. We wouldn't just have Greene and no one else. I understand you love CJ and want to keep him but in the real world there is no way he gets or deserves that money. And there is no need to be embarrassed of me because I don't speak with blind affinity toward anyone.

2014 Adopt-A-Titan
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ is gone. Think if it as the Annie song, The sun come out tomorrow bet you're 8 mill dollars that tomorrow he'll be gone.
Yes I believe he still has it & he may flourish with an offensive genius coach;however his cap number isn't worth his production & we can use that money to upgrading our personnel.
I'm a big CJ fan I defended him many of times.
No more. Yes his blocking hasn't been the best nor has play calling, but what hit me is this, when CJ broke the bank on his contract he called himself a playmaker & every coaches dream .......
End of story berry sanders was a playmaker with horrible blocking.
He's not accountable & he's not a lead by example guy coming out of Keith bullock & Eddie George mouth. Time for a change .
Justin615$

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Profootballtalk.com reports the Titans will "soon begin attempting to trade" Chris Johnson.

It's essentially the same report as Saturday's from the Nashville Tennessean. The Titans are trying to salvage something, anything, for the player they blew a six-year, $55.26 million contract on back in September of 2011. The deal included $30 million guaranteed, and Johnson has never been the same. Going on age 29 with an $8 million base salary, Johnson has little or no trade value.

Quote:
Per a league source, the Titans soon will commence efforts to trade Johnson. If the Titans can find no takers, they will cut him.

Quote:
Cutting Johnson would result in a $4 million cap charge. That amount would be cut in half and spread over two years if heís released with a post-June 1 designation.

2014 Adopt-A-Titan
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Chris Johnson was looking for his new contract, he wanted to break the mold of money given to running backs. Remember he classified himself as a "playmaker" and that he should be paid as much. The Titans obliged. Here's the problem... He's not making plays anymore. And when you claim to be a "playmaker" you can't blame your lack of plays on the ineptitude of those around you (ie the oline). We paid him that much, because he should be able to produce at a high level without a picture perfect gaping holes to run through every play.

It would be like Darrelle Revis blaming getting beat on not having safety help. The reason why he's paid so much is because you don't have to give him safety help.

I don't think anyone thinks CJ sucks, but he's not worth 8 mil anymore. We've already paid him for his 2000 yd season. I think the Titans would pay him 4-5 mil to stay, but CJ's already been adamant that he won't take a pay cut. So he will be cut sometime after the draft when most teams have already decided what they're going to do at RB and the big money has dried up. Inevitably he'll sign a contract some where for 1 year, 2-3 million.

**RIP Steve McNair**
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
When Chris Johnson was looking for his new contract, he wanted to break the mold of money given to running backs. Remember he classified himself as a "playmaker" and that he should be paid as much. The Titans obliged. Here's the problem... He's not making plays anymore. And when you claim to be a "playmaker" you can't blame your lack of plays on the ineptitude of those around you (ie the oline). We paid him that much, because he should be able to produce at a high level without a picture perfect gaping holes to run through every play.

It would be like Darrelle Revis blaming getting beat on not having safety help. The reason why he's paid so much is because you don't have to give him safety help.

I don't think anyone thinks CJ sucks, but he's not worth 8 mil anymore. We've already paid him for his 2000 yd season. I think the Titans would pay him 4-5 mil to stay, but CJ's already been adamant that he won't take a pay cut. So he will be cut sometime after the draft when most teams have already decided what they're going to do at RB and the big money has dried up. Inevitably he'll sign a contract some where for 1 year, 2-3 million.

I agree with your post. I feel like we would still be willing to pay him a good amount of money. More than most if not all teams.. if he would just renegotiate down a bit. I just can't see us keeping CJ at his current cap hit. I think he will get less on the open market than he probably thinks.

Adopt-A-Titan:
1) Dexter McCluster RB/WR -- 9 CAR 29 YDS, 1 REC 17 YDS
2) Sammie Hill NT -- 2 TCK 1 SCK
TitanSS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He basically has no trade value to other teams.

1. He doesn't produce.

2. Huge salary.

3. Everyone knows he will be cut and they can just talk to him then rather than giving up draft selections.

No one will give us anything for him and he will be cut.
utkjoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
I can see a couple of different scenarios where CJ stays on the roster one more year at his current salary.

Say what you will, but he's been a staple here and is reliable, if nothing else. If the Titans cut him to save money, but then don't find a guy who can step in and do the unnoticed things he does, Whiz and Locker lose. He's a good blocker out of the backfield, and can be effective if used more as a receiver out of the backfield. They could adjust his role into more of a Sproles/Woodhead (eventhough, he's an expensive option, sometimes its better to have an overpriced piece than no replacement at all).

I agree CJ can still do a lot of things well, but he could never catch. Guy has butterfingers.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

utkjoe wrote:
ragevsuall17 wrote:
I can see a couple of different scenarios where CJ stays on the roster one more year at his current salary.

Say what you will, but he's been a staple here and is reliable, if nothing else. If the Titans cut him to save money, but then don't find a guy who can step in and do the unnoticed things he does, Whiz and Locker lose. He's a good blocker out of the backfield, and can be effective if used more as a receiver out of the backfield. They could adjust his role into more of a Sproles/Woodhead (eventhough, he's an expensive option, sometimes its better to have an overpriced piece than no replacement at all).

I agree CJ can still do a lot of things well, but he could never catch. Guy has butterfingers.

He's averaged over 40 catches per season in his career, and his drop rate is no higher than some of the backs considered dual threats.
Quote:
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/04/three-years-of-drop-rate-running-backs/

I couldn't find a more recent article, but this one from 2012 looks at drops from 09-12, he's average... dropping 14 out of a possible 165 catchable balls. (Sproles dropped 14 out of 204, Lesean McCoy dropped 12 out of 178, and the LT dropped 11 out of 125).

I'm not saying he doesn't drop passes, but I also acknowledge when used properly, he's still dangerous out of the backfield in open space (he showed a little of that on that TD vs SF). It's not like he's got Peterson hands or anything.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/ThomasGower/status/443429362738544640/photo/1

"When the #Titans cut CJ, I think my post is going to be "the Titans just cut the player who gained 2 yards here" "

stallyns wrote:
Cortland Finnegan signs with the Rams, the division just got classier.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... that's definitely not a scenario where I foresaw CJ being kept. Half the money for a player who could just about the same while being a dynamic return man? Yes please.

I think it's still possible CJ gets kept... but those odds were just chopped up and passed through the wood chipper... if I was to put a % on it, I think its now about 90/10 he's gone before the start of next year. Not that I think DMC replaces CJ in the RB depth chart... but he replaces CJ from the role I thought he'd be most effective going forward... in that Sproles/Woodhead role.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: