Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chris Johnson - A Titan in 2014
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonytitan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Chris Johnson - A Titan in 2014 Reply with quote

Forgive my dime store prophecy, but here's how I see things:

First of all, I'm a CJ fanboy. He shows up every Sunday, practices hard, doesn't run his mouth a lot, doesn't seem to be a cancer in the locker room and will play hurt. So he wants the ball every play. I wouldn't want a back who didn't. I also think that even though he'll be 29 in Sept(which is 203 in running back years), he still has plenty of tread left on the tires. Did anyone else notice the difference in CJ's running once a healthy Brian Schwenke took over at center? Could it be that he didn't have the confidence in the guys in front of him that he now has. He may actually think that there's another 2k in his future.

But he needs to face the reality that the running back no longer carries an $8 - $10 million dollar value. No team with brains is going to tie up that chunk of the salary cap in a non-QB-LT-DE. Adrian Peterson will get that wake up call when his contract is due to be redone.

The Titans hold all the cards here because there is no pressure to release CJ on Tuesday. So on Wednesday when CJ screams "CUT ME NOW!!" the Titans response will be: *crickets*.

Free agency begins. Running backs are signed by teams. Roster spots vanish.

The Titans: "Redo your deal"
CJ: "NO! CUT ME NOW!"
The Titans: *crickets*

The Draft happens. More roster spots are about to vanish.

Minicamps happen. CJ has to show up to audition for other teams in case he gets cut. More roster spots vanish. CJ panics.

Training camp and preseason games happen. CJ gets 2 to 5 touches per game. 53-man rosters are finalized.

CJ: "NO! WAIT!"
The Titans: "Turn in your playbook. You're cut."

No place for him to go to get $8 million at this point. No one's interested at more than $1.5 - $2 million max.

The Titans: "We'll match you're best deal plus incentives."
CJ: *whimper* "Ok."

Life goes on.
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was in that situation, you would have to do more than match the money after screwing me like that.

Adopt-A-Titan:
1) Dexter McCluster RB/WR -- 9 CAR 29 YDS, 1 REC 17 YDS
2) Sammie Hill NT -- 2 TCK 1 SCK
TitanSS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll get more than 2 million.

There's absolutely no way he plays for the Titans making less money than Shonn Greene.
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's gone end of story. The titans haven't released him yet because they haven't found his replacement;but via draft or free agency CJ is gone.
From my understanding it's just not about his production;as to why the titans are going to cut him,but the fact he's not accountable not a leader & to be paid as the franchis player you must be that
ironlion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ won't be cut at all. He won't have to take a pay cut.

He's way better than Shaun Greene. If any running back gets cut its Greene.

CJ is the best player on this offense. We have to many question on offense to cut our most talented player.

$8mill isn't even that bad. He's already played through his real high cap number years.

The titans are a much more competitive team in 2014 with CJ. I really can't believe people want to trust Shaun Greene as out starter. He's a bum and we'd be lucky if he makes it to week 1 before he's injured. Cut Greene draft a rb and bring in some UDFA rbs. People complain about CJs production versus his pay. Run the same formula on Greene, he's much worse. $5mil for 190 yards. Keeping CJ is a no brainer for the new staff.

CJ is a Titan. Get used to it.
Justin615$

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironlion wrote:

CJ is the best player on this offense. We have to many question on offense to cut our most talented player.

$8mill isn't even that bad. He's already played through his real high cap number years.

The titans are a much more competitive team in 2014 with CJ. I really can't believe people want to trust Shaun Greene as out starter. He's a bum and we'd be lucky if he makes it to week 1 before he's injured. Cut Greene draft a rb and bring in some UDFA rbs. People complain about CJs production versus his pay. Run the same formula on Greene, he's much worse. $5mil for 190 yards. Keeping CJ is a no brainer for the new staff.

lol

2014 Adopt-A-Titan
1. Michael Griffin : 58 TKLS, 3 SACKS, 2 INTS, 2 PDEF
2. Mike Martin : 10 TKLS, 0 SACKS
TitanSS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin615$ wrote:
ironlion wrote:

lol

Seconded the lol. He's not even a weapon for us anymore. He's played very average.

CJ is gone. Get used to it.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think more depends on how Ken feels CJ can play than how he's actually played in the past. Wouldn't surprise me if he's cut, nor if he stays.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
Tonytitan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Redd10 wrote:
He's gone end of story. The titans haven't released him yet because they haven't found his replacement

If they've made that decision what's the upside to delaying its implementation? I don't see one. If he's that big a drag on the team, cut him and be done with it, replacement or not.

Chris Johnson wears two-toned blue in 2014. Deal with it.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see a couple of different scenarios where CJ stays on the roster one more year at his current salary.

Say what you will, but he's been a staple here and is reliable, if nothing else. If the Titans cut him to save money, but then don't find a guy who can step in and do the unnoticed things he does, Whiz and Locker lose. He's a good blocker out of the backfield, and can be effective if used more as a receiver out of the backfield. They could adjust his role into more of a Sproles/Woodhead (eventhough, he's an expensive option, sometimes its better to have an overpriced piece than no replacement at all).

They hold the keys... they can keep him as long as they need to, they can cut him as soon as they need to... the longer the wait, the more he realizes he's up poop creek. If he asks for a trade, the Titans could allow him to find a suitor and start negotiating, but again, they hold the keys (although, any picks are better than no picks, even if they come in next year's draft).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Nashville Tennessean's Jim Wyatt reports the Titans are gauging trade interest for Chris Johnson.

The Titans are unlikely to find any trade partners considering Johnson still has three years remaining on his six-year, $55.26 million contract and is owed $8 million next season. Johnson finished with just 1,077 yards and a career-low 3.86 YPC in 2013 and remains a candidate to be designated as a post June 1 cut.

2014 Adopt-A-Titan
1. Michael Griffin : 58 TKLS, 3 SACKS, 2 INTS, 2 PDEF
2. Mike Martin : 10 TKLS, 0 SACKS
KingTitan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
I can see a couple of different scenarios where CJ stays on the roster one more year at his current salary.

I don't like to speak in absolute terms, but he is gone.
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this people keep bringing up CJ as a receiver out of the backfield? I've watched him drop far too many dump passes to trust him in a Woodhead role.
ironlion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ can pass protect
CJ doesn't fumble
CJ stays healthy

I don't see any way we cut him. I also don understand how anyone could want to cut CJ but keep Shaun Greene. That's laughable to me.

You think the new staff is going to cut out best player and go into next season with no offense. Locker is still injured and he's development is up for discussion. You think the new staff will bring in new backs in the draft when they need to bring in a new defense? You think the new staff will want a running back that potentially has ball security issues? CJ is worth $8mil just for his ball security with this new staff.

I think that many fans jumped on the CJ is garbage bandwagon without any thought, and now your stuck there.

CJ will be a Titan and he will run for 1400+ yards in wiz's new system. The guy made Ryan Matthews look like LT.

Don't sell you CJ jerseys yet.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironlion wrote:
CJ can pass protect
CJ doesn't fumble
CJ stays healthy

I don't see any way we cut him. I also don understand how anyone could want to cut CJ but keep Shaun Greene. That's laughable to me.

You think the new staff is going to cut out best player and go into next season with no offense. Locker is still injured and he's development is up for discussion. You think the new staff will bring in new backs in the draft when they need to bring in a new defense? You think the new staff will want a running back that potentially has ball security issues? CJ is worth $8mil just for his ball security with this new staff.

I think that many fans jumped on the CJ is garbage bandwagon without any thought, and now your stuck there.

CJ will be a Titan and he will run for 1400+ yards in wiz's new system. The guy made Ryan Matthews look like LT.

Don't sell you CJ jerseys yet.

CJ is not our best player anymore. Wright is our best player on offense. This isn't 2009 anymore? He's done and he's packed it in. Stop living in your CJ is great fantasy land. Idc if he stays healthy, doesn't fumble, or can pass-protect or not. Fact is, he has terrible vision, stone hands, and doesn't run hard anymore. Shonn" Greene doesn't make any where near what CJ makes and no CJ is not worth 8mil on just for ball security. If that's all we need, I'd rather go hand a cheap deal to some bum who has great ball security.

Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: