Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Pro Days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mse326

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pro days to me are close to meaningless one way or the other.

You can see what they do on the field on tape.

#JDI
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:

I think the Pro Days have merit. I think the media's reaction to the Pro Day has zero merit, especially the local media who are highly motivated to sell papers, drive ratings, page views by covering Johnny Football's exploits 24/7. It's just hilarious to me that Teddy's "accuracy" is suddenly a concern while Johnny's 22 ints and habit of blindly lofting passes to his 6' 5" receiver is just "creativity" as if throwing the ball up for grabs is something that is often successful in the NFL. I saw the "shapoopy" Family Guy episode last week and it struck me that in a New England style disciplined precision offense, Johnny might as well be a skinny drunken Peter Griffin running the fumblerooskie play and driving his Lambo on the Reliant turf with O'Brien screaming "noooo". Please let Johnny just go to Cleveland and do commercials for that crooked auto dealer guy that got Ohio State in all their trouble and maybe get a tramp stamp featuring his own signature and some $ signs from the free tattoo guy. Maybe lil Shanny can run Johnny out there with a torn LCL to finish off the ACL against the Seattle D and we'll finally have an apt comparison with RG3's 2nd season instead of lil Johnny's sore thumb that is supposed to explain away his 2nd straight terrible game against LSU and running 11 times for 21 yards vs. Mizzou. I think I'm going to just start fabricating some "Texans pick Teddy" stories like the "Texans bringing back Schaub" stories last week as this dang pick just can't come fast enough. Of course, it won't end there as when the Texans actually make the smart FOOTBALL move and pass on Johnny, we'll have to deal with all the stories of Aggies burning their season tickets or buying Cleveland jerseys. I think that Buzbee guy may just try to buy the Browns and bring them to Galveston if that happens.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
kenney

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
mse326 wrote:

I think the Pro Days have merit. I think the media's reaction to the Pro Day has zero merit, especially the local media who are highly motivated to sell papers, drive ratings, page views by covering Johnny Football's exploits 24/7. It's just hilarious to me that Teddy's "accuracy" is suddenly a concern while Johnny's 22 ints and habit of blindly lofting passes to his 6' 5" receiver is just "creativity" as if throwing the ball up for grabs is something that is often successful in the NFL. I saw the "shapoopy" Family Guy episode last week and it struck me that in a New England style disciplined precision offense, Johnny might as well be a skinny drunken Peter Griffin running the fumblerooskie play and driving his Lambo on the Reliant turf with O'Brien screaming "noooo". Please let Johnny just go to Cleveland and do commercials for that crooked auto dealer guy that got Ohio State in all their trouble and maybe get a tramp stamp featuring his own signature and some $ signs from the free tattoo guy. Maybe lil Shanny can run Johnny out there with a torn LCL to finish off the ACL against the Seattle D and we'll finally have an apt comparison with RG3's 2nd season instead of lil Johnny's sore thumb that is supposed to explain away his 2nd straight terrible game against LSU and running 11 times for 21 yards vs. Mizzou. I think I'm going to just start fabricating some "Texans pick Teddy" stories like the "Texans bringing back Schaub" stories last week as this dang pick just can't come fast enough. Of course, it won't end there as when the Texans actually make the smart FOOTBALL move and pass on Johnny, we'll have to deal with all the stories of Aggies burning their season tickets or buying Cleveland jerseys. I think that Buzbee guy may just try to buy the Browns and bring them to Galveston if that happens.

Does it physically pain you that Baylor is still (and will always remain) a second or third tier school? Your jealousy and pettiness are embarrassing to sit through.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
mse326 wrote:

Does it physically pain you that Baylor is still (and will always remain) a second or third tier school? Your jealousy and pettiness are embarrassing to sit through.

Yes, the same Baylor team that won a Heisman a year before A&M, got a new stadium - not a retread, actually won it's conference vs. 3rd & 4th place division finishes, and has finished ranked ahead of A&M 2 of the past 3 seasons. You might want to tune into this thing called March Madness this week as the Bears made it to the Elite 8 in 2010 & 2012, won the NIT Tourney last year, and roll in as a 6th seed this week (before you mock the NIT last year, A&M is in is something called the College Basketball Invitational this week - watch out for Morehead St & UTEP - with it's laughable basketball program that had about 2.5 seasons of relevancy in the past 40 years). Of course the BU Women's basketball team rolls into the NCAAs as the top #2 seed as well. Baylor remains one of only 2 or 3 schools playing at a top level in the big 3 college sports yet again this year. But yes - A&M still gets plenty of hype and you still have team track & field & equestrian...

mse326

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright you both got your shots in. Now let it go an move on.

mse

#JDI
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to point out, I like both Baylor and A&M

but A&M had more than 2.5 years of relevancy... they were the ONLY team in the nation to win an NCAA tourney game for a 5 season stretch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch UCF pro day live

http://www.jaguars.com/live/
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tony Pauline @TonyPauline
I'm told 3/4's through Blake Bortles workout Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien let it be known "I've seen all I need to see"..

Oh great. At least if they want, try and trade back to get some picks then select him. Rolling Eyes I'm still going to be pissed if he is the pick at number 1. He is mad overrated.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Quote:
Tony Pauline @TonyPauline
I'm told 3/4's through Blake Bortles workout Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien let it be known "I've seen all I need to see"..

Oh great. At least if they want, try and trade back to get some picks then select him. Rolling Eyes I'm still going to be pissed if he is the pick at number 1. He is mad overrated.

Hopefully he seen what Ive been seeing for months now. Blake is inaccurate when throwing to his left. Throws it high, low and just plain off target. His wrs made some great catches today improving his completion percent. Im not sold AT ALL on Blake and hopefully BOB isn't either.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For goodness sakes, how a guy throws to his own guys in shorts with no pass rush or defenders is about as relevant to projecting how a player will play actual football as watching me pull off 360 dunks and "dude perfect" shots on my 8' driveway hoop. Hell, the Texans had a punter who could throw a ball 70 yards through a tire, but that's not what QBs do on gameday. Hell, half the reason I stood behind Matt Schaub longer than most is that I saw the guy throw during a private camp practice and the guy made Keenum and Yates look like they were high school QBs compared to him. You would think that we would have learned that how a player performs with an actual pass rush and with defenders picking off passes matters and Teddy completed 71% of his passes with 31 tds and 4 ints last year and 68%, 27-8 the year before. Bortles threw 9 ints last year against the same competition despite throwing 50 fewer passes.

Okay if you really want to be scared, read this Pro Day review of Blaine Gabbert I stumbled upon. I really do think Bortles has been our guy all along, but more because of the George O'Leary-Bill O'Brien connection which is no different than the Shanny-Kubiak mentor-protege relationship, except O'Leary gets to hand over his version of John Elway to his protege instead of a gaggle of washed up safeties, tight ends, and a marginal personnel guy to masquerade as a GM (who is somehow still employed 8 years later despite a 61-67 record and 2 playoff wins).

The Gabbert Pro Day Review:
Throwing for the first time before representatives from all 32 teams, Gabbert threw accurately and moved with smooth athleticism in a well-reviewed, 25-minute pro day workout on Thursday at the University of Missouri. If the No. 1 Panthers want to take a quarterback, they now must put Gabbert and Auburn's Cam Newton side by side and choose the one they feel has the most potential to be a clear-cut franchise passer.

Gabbert turned some heads here and won himself some believers among those who wondered if he could make the transition to playing quarterback under center after starring in the spread offense in his two years of starting duty at Missouri. Starting all 64 of his pass plays by taking a center snap, Gabbert looked fluid and comfortable throughout his drills, and his accuracy never suffered no matter if he threw on the move or after setting up in the pocket.

"He's my No. 1 quarterback, and to me he's the one quarterback in the draft who, if you've got to bang the table for a franchise quarterback, he's the guy,'' NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said after Gabbert's workout. "The kid confirmed everything you want to see in a franchise quarterback. I thought he did as good as he could have. His footwork was real clean. His arm was real accurate, and his arm strength was great.''

Gabbert certainly looked like the real deal in the controlled environment that is a pro day, with its scripted passing workout.

I took a limited and informal poll among some NFL personnel evaluators and asked them how Gabbert compared at this point in the pre-draft process to recent first-round quarterbacks like Matthew Stafford and Sam Bradford, both of whom went first overall? The consensus was that Gabbert, despite having relatively modest success as a collegiate starter, certainly measured up based on his pro day showing.

Last edited by Apollo Stallion on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
buckwild

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I'm told quarterback coach Jordan Palmer crafted what some are referring to as the "best quarterback pro-day ever." This is not to say Bortles workout was the best ever; rather Palmer choreographed realistic NFL scenarios on each pass and Bortles was required to make specific throws. Examples? "Corner blitz" and "Bull rushed guard" or "Two high." Bortles would then take off on the pattern required to make the pass and more times than not deliver the ball accurately.

As far as the workout itself, Bortles answered the questions scouts had on his ability. I'm told the ball jumped off his hand, and he showed a tremendous deep arm as he was able to drive throws down the field with velocity. His ability to accurately deliver the ball on the move was also impressive.

Three-quarters through the workout, most had seen enough including Houston Texans head coach Bill O'Brien as Bortles had answered the call. Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner openly said something to the effect, "great - this means he (Bortles) won't be available for us."

He saw enough to show him he is worth the 1st pick in the draft.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Marco79

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bortles is just so bleh. I would love to just draft Clowney or trade down if they arent going to take Teddy. I would rather have Carr than Bortles. Drafting Bortles #1 is just a mistake he is not worthy of it. Trade down and get some extra picks and then grab him.
Marco79

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in 2011, everybody talked about how awful cam Newtons pro day was while saying how amazing Gabbert's pro day was. 3 years later, one is on his way to becoming an all-pro and the other is on his way out of the league. I really really really hope Bortles is not the guy.

I just do not get how Teddy can't be the number one guy. His tape is so much better, he is so much smarter, he can read a defense, he had full control over his pro style offense. I just hope he can blew them away with his intelligence in his private workout.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
Also in 2011, everybody talked about how awful cam Newtons pro day was while saying how amazing Gabbert's pro day was. 3 years later, one is on his way to becoming an all-pro and the other is on his way out of the league. I really really really hope Bortles is not the guy.

I just do not get how Teddy can't be the number one guy. His tape is so much better, he is so much smarter, he can read a defense, he had full control over his pro style offense. I just hope he can blew them away with his intelligence in his private workout.

See my post above for everyone (especially Mayock) wetting themselves over Gabbert. At the very least, it seems Bortles workout may have granted my wish for an end to the stupid Johnny #1 overall speculation. I'm telling you, JFF will be the guy sitting around faking phone calls for hours on day one of this draft.

amazingandre

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
First, I'm told quarterback coach Jordan Palmer crafted what some are referring to as the "best quarterback pro-day ever." This is not to say Bortles workout was the best ever; rather Palmer choreographed realistic NFL scenarios on each pass and Bortles was required to make specific throws. Examples? "Corner blitz" and "Bull rushed guard" or "Two high." Bortles would then take off on the pattern required to make the pass and more times than not deliver the ball accurately.

As far as the workout itself, Bortles answered the questions scouts had on his ability. I'm told the ball jumped off his hand, and he showed a tremendous deep arm as he was able to drive throws down the field with velocity. His ability to accurately deliver the ball on the move was also impressive.

Three-quarters through the workout, most had seen enough including Houston Texans head coach Bill O'Brien as Bortles had answered the call. Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner openly said something to the effect, "great - this means he (Bortles) won't be available for us."

He saw enough to show him he is worth the 1st pick in the draft.

I watched every throw he made. He still struggles throwing left. His passes are inaccurate and his wrs bailed him out a few times. He did move well, threw with great form on the run, but the reality is he is shaky at best throwing to his left. And his deep ball, not accurate at all. And based on his comments (saying he knew he under throws a lot of deep balls so he mustered them up today) shows that even he knows his deep ball is a weakness.

The disrespect Teddy gets is disturbing and I hope BOB is smart enough to not pass him up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: