Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Any chance you trade #1 overall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Any chance you trade #1 overall Reply with quote

Hey Houston fans,

Starting to think about doing a pre free agency mock draft and I can't figure out what to do with the #1 overall pick.

I don't think Clowney fits Crennel's defense. He could be a more athletic version of Willie McGinnest but I think his absolute best fit is as a hand-in-the-dirt 4-3.

I don't really think any of the QB's would be an absolute answer and neither Manziel, Bortles or Bridgewater have proved to be the superior talent among the group.

So here's what I got so far
Atlanta trades #6, #37 and 2015 1st Rounder for Houston #1 overall

Atlana - Clowney
St. Louis - OT Robinson (most have them trading with Atlanta but they stay put at #2 after Atlanta moves to #1)
Jacksonville - Bridgewater
Browns - Sammy Watkins
Raiders - Bortles
Houston - Manziel

Is this realistic? Would you be happy to pick up an extra 2nd or would you rather stay at #1 and take the QB of your choice or Clowney? I'm thinking if they trade to #6 there's a very good chance one of the top 3 QBs is available or you can get Khalil Mack who would be a very good option in the new 3-4.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
dsorc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that you have Manziel as a top 10 pick makes it a fail from the get go. I think Houston would consider a trade down with the ideal trade scenario being trying to get the 2 first from Cleveland. That said, Bridgewater is still the most likely pick and an extra second is not enough to sway me. In your scenario, I think we would go for Mack or Barr and then grab a QB in the second.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
The fact that you have Manziel as a top 10 pick makes it a fail from the get go. I think Houston would consider a trade down with the ideal trade scenario being trying to get the 2 first from Cleveland. That said, Bridgewater is still the most likely pick and an extra second is not enough to sway me. In your scenario, I think we would go for Mack or Barr and then grab a QB in the second.

believe me, I hate manziel more than anyone, my point was more that at 6 you're guaranteed to get either one of the top3 qbs or Khalil Mack plus picking up extra picks.

manziel will go top 10 - I guarantee it. I don't think he'll be a great NFL QB but too many teams picking in the first third are QB desperate.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm the Texans GM then the draft works like this. Bridgewater at #1 unless they make me a trade down offer like the Rams made with Washington 2 yrs. ago, or better. #6, #37, and a 2015 1st rounder isn't enough for #1 overall. Bridgewater at #1.
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
If I'm the Texans GM then the draft works like this. Bridgewater at #1 unless they make me a trade down offer like the Rams made with Washington 2 yrs. ago, or better. #6, #37, and a 2015 1st rounder isn't enough for #1 overall. Bridgewater at #1.

Thanks - this seems like the most realistic approach.
dsorc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
dsorc wrote:

believe me, I hate manziel more than anyone, my point was more that at 6 you're guaranteed to get either one of the top3 qbs or Khalil Mack plus picking up extra picks.

manziel will go top 10 - I guarantee it. I don't think he'll be a great NFL QB but too many teams picking in the first third are QB desperate.

Again, your flaw is thinking that Manziel somehow completes this magical top 3 QBs. Manziel is media-driven hype. Like Tebow, some team might be dumb enough to draft him in the first but he'll be the 4th QB picked at best: Bridgewater, Bortles and Carr are the only QBs that may be worth a top 10 pick.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should trade it to Browns, on nex year first round pick.... is anyone (except me) want out team to draft CB in first round?
duke2056

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you guys get offered 6, 37, and a future 1st from Atlanta, pretty sure it would be accepted.

I really can't see a team offer that for a non-QB. And definitely not for any of the Qbs this year.

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
texansfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
If you guys get offered 6, 37, and a future 1st from Atlanta, pretty sure it would be accepted.

I really can't see a team offer that for a non-QB. And definitely not for any of the Qbs this year.

Agreed. I think there is a slew of top talent available. We are likely to roll with Fitzpatrick at QB to start the season anyway, so why not move back and try to add some other talent to this roster. We have a number of holes that could be plugged with these picks. Right now I would move back if given the opportunity.
norg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish we could trade down to at least #4

yeah we would lose out in clownely but deff one or 2 of the top QB's will still be there plus we will deff get another pick maybe high #2 or another #1
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norg wrote:

yeah we would lose out in clownely but deff one or 2 of the top QB's will still be there plus we will deff get another pick maybe high #2 or another #1

I wouldn't mind this idea, but I don't want to go any further down than #4 so that we have at least a 50/50 chance at Bortles or Bridgewater and at least a shot at Clowney if the 2 QB's are both gone. I also revert back to don't overthink this process, just go get the player you want at #1. When you get greedy you usually get burned, take what you've got and move on. Take Bridgewater at #1, a quality RT at #2, and then fill out the defense with the rest of the draft.
dsorc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norg wrote:

I don't know if you can say that one of the QBs will definitely still be there. If we trade down to Cleveland, they are moving up to take a QB. Jacksonville will also pick either Clowney or the other QB left. So the only way we get one of Teddy/Bortles/Clowney is for Saint Louis to take an OT instead of trading down. I think the most likely scenario is that at 4 we might be looking at either Clowney or Mack with QBs going 1 and 3. Again, Clowney would only be there if Saint Louis decides to not trade back. My gut feeling however is that Saint Louis will sell the pick to the highest bidder since Robinson/Matthews could easily fall as OT is not a big need for the teams at the top of the draft this year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
norg wrote:

I don't know if you can say that one of the QBs will definitely still be there. If we trade down to Cleveland, they are moving up to take a QB. Jacksonville will also pick either Clowney or the other QB left. So the only way we get one of Teddy/Bortles/Clowney is for Saint Louis to take an OT instead of trading down. I think the most likely scenario is that at 4 we might be looking at either Clowney or Mack with QBs going 1 and 3. Again, Clowney would only be there if Saint Louis decides to not trade back. My gut feeling however is that Saint Louis will sell the pick to the highest bidder since Robinson/Matthews could easily fall as OT is not a big need for the teams at the top of the draft this year.

One of the QB's will be there, it just depends if it's the one you want.

At QB you don't try and get cute, you take the one you want number 1 overall and live with it.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a rumor that us in the bills are in trade talks for the #1 pick. They own the 9th pick in the draft.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
There's a rumor that us in the bills are in trade talks for the #1 pick. They own the 9th pick in the draft.

Starts at #9, Bills 2nd round pick and a 2015 1st rounder. Maybe more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: