Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

An Idzik type of Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think of this offseason/draft?
A
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
B
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
C
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
D
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

RDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: An Idzik type of Mock Reply with quote

Cuts:

Santonio Holmes
QB Mark Sanchez
CB Antonio Cromartie
RB Mike Goodson

SAVES- 25-30 million
Estimated Cap- 44.5 million

Resign:

OT Austin Howard- (4 year 16.4 million)
OG Willie Colon- (2 year 4.4 million)
DT Leger Douzable- (2 year 1.8 million)
K Nick Folk- Franchise Tag
OLB Calvin Pace- (2 year 5.5 million)
TE- Jeff Cumberland- (2 year 5.1 million)

Estimated Cap 30-33 million

Extensions:
WR Jeremy Kerley 4 years 13.6 million

Jets plan to give Mo his extension late in the 14-15 season.

Estimated Cap 28-30 million

Free Agency

With estimated cap of 28-30 million

WR Emmanuel Sanders to a 4 year 20 million dollar deal

-- Sanders will make more than Riley Cooper got but maybe not that much more. This estimate sounds about right. Sanders seems to be one of the major guys on here everyone wants to sign. Sanders has potential and I think is worth it more than some of the other players. I think his character is exactly what Idzik is looking for.

CB Walter Thurmond to a 3 year 14 million dollar deal

-- Hes not Verner or Davis, like I wanted, but he will come cheaper. This seems like an Idzik move for a few major reasons. Idzik had a hand in drafting him in Seattle. He fits perfectly in a Rex Ryan defense because hes athletic, and physical. The best aspect is that he has potential. People may not see that unless you watch him play but he does. Hes battled some injuries over the years, but he can surely play when given the chance. Although Seattle may try and retain him, they won't be able too because they are kind of cap strapped at the moment. This signing makes sense and I think hes a better alternative than Cromartie. It also allows us to, draft a developmental corner to add to the depth. Plus Walls has shown some ability over the past few years.

FS Stevie Brown to a 2 year 10 million dollar deal

-- Brown is coming off a big injury and should probably see a majority of prove it deals across the league. I expect the Giants to make a major push for him but with Will Hill emerging, I dont think they give Brown more than a year. I do think that he considers staying home and accepting a slightly longer deal with the cross town rival Jets. He sees the Jet organization growing, the luxurious facility, and most of all a Rex Ryan type of coach. This will be the last major move we can really make and afford.

RB Dexter McCluster to a 3 year 8.5 Million dollar deal

-- McCluster gives us another guy to rotate around and play with. He is also good depth for Kerley who could get haggled with injuries. Its good depth and good competition.

QB Shaun Hill to a 1 year 3.6 million dollar deal

-- Provides good QB depth and a veteran presence that is needed badly at the QB position. I still think a Sanchez return is possible but Hill is a safe bet. McCown is not coming here. Hes going to get more money than his worth if he doesnt get resigned and hes going to be looking for years, best opportunity to win, good place for his family. I dont think New York is the ideal place.

2014 NFL DRAFT

1st Round ( 18 ) The New York Jets Select TE Eric Ebron

Jets Trade Kenrick Ellis and 2nd (49) to move up to Minnesotas (40)

2nd Round (40) The New York Jets Select WR Jordan Matthews Vanderbilt

3rd Round (5) The New York Jets Select QB Jimmy Garoppolo Eastern Illinois

3rd Round (80) The New York Jets Select WR Martavis Bryant Clemson

4th Round (x) The New York Jets Select CB Phillip Gaines Rice

5th Round (x) The New York Jets Select RB Storm Johnson UCF

6th Round (x) The New York Jets Select C Gabe Ikard Oklahoma

6th Round COMP The New York Jets Select TE Colt Lyerla Oregon

7th Round (x) RB Laderius Perkins Mississippi St.

7th Round COMP ILB Caleb Lavey Oklahoma St.

DEPTH CHART

QB: Geno Smith // Shaun Hill // Jimmy Garoppolo // Matt Simms
RB: Chris Ivory // Bilal Powell // Storm Johnson // LaDerius Perkins
FB: Tommy Bohanon // Sheldon Richardson
WR: Emmanuel Sanders // Martavis Bryant // Stephen Hill
Slot WR: Jeremy Kerley // Dexter McCluster
TE: Eric Ebron // Jeff Cumberland // Colt Lyerla
LT: D'Brickashaw Ferguson // Oday Aboushi
LG: Brian Winters
C: Nick Mangold // Gabe Ikard
RG: Willie Colon // William Campbell
RT: Austin Howard //
WR: Jordan Matthews // David Nelson //

DE: Muhammad Wilkerson // Leger Douzable
NT: Damon Harrison //
DE: Sheldon Richardson
OLB: Quinton Coples // Antwan Barnes
ILB: Demario Davis // Nick Bellore
ILB: David Harris // Caleb Lavey
OLB: Calvin Pace // Garret McIntyre
CB: Walter Thurmond // Darrin Walls //
SCB: Kyle Wilson
FS: Stevie Brown // Jaiquawn Jarrett
SS: Dawan Landry// Antonio Allen
CB: Dee Milliner // Phillip Gaines // Ellis Lankster

K: Nick Folk
P: Ryan Quigley
LS: Tanner Purdum
KR: Phillip Gaines
PR: Jeremy Kerley

This mock offseason and draft may not have the prize possessions we desire. What it does have, is us attacking positions of need but at the same time building depth in those positions. No we didnt get Byrd, Ward, Verner, Davis but we got players with potential to be good, solid players. We also didnt invest much money certain positions that will effect the future. The draft is where we build this team, not through free agency. I don't see us going after the big names we desire but I do see us going after some semi big names that will help build character and competition.

In the draft, the jets are going BPA. Some people may argue with Garoppolo but he is a guy that is really and I mean really starting to intrigue me. At first I was weary, but he reminds me a lot of Peyton Manning. Hes progressing and with a year of the bench and learning the game, he could be a true elite quarterback in the future. He has the potential, he just needs to get acclimated with the speed and Marty's system.

Each draft pick has potential and maybe they arent the ideal guys. But Ebron and Matthews are not swing and miss guys. They are both going to be very productive and they both help this team win now.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!!

Quote:
JETS . HEAT . GSU & V-Tech (CF) . SYRACUSE (CB) . ATL MLS .
jets81keller

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it
Bobby816

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could definitely be done with this. Is rather go a different direction than QB in the 3rd, but that's just nit picking.
rampantjet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like most of this but did we really just trade Ellis to move 9 spots in the second round??? that seems like a rip off.
superbowlbound

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes this an "Idzik style" mock??

this is like every other mock ive seen.... when I see "idzik style" I assumed you'd have unique picks that a GM would make, not a fan.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superbowlbound wrote:
What makes this an "Idzik style" mock??

this is like every other mock ive seen.... when I see "idzik style" I assumed you'd have unique picks that a GM would make, not a fan.

an Idzik style mock doesn't mean I have to go the exact opposite of what everyone thinks and wants.

Its an Idzik like offseason because each signing makes sense and isnt really long term. We also build competition rather than spending the big bucks for one of the big time corners or safeties.

Thurmond- Linked to Idzik Seattle

Sanders- Linked to us already, GREAT character, hard worker

Stevie Brown- just came off an injury, wants to prove something. New york is his home already, so it makes sense.

McCluster/Hill- both average depth signings that provide a different element to the team in some way.

For the draft I took a different approach

Ebron is obviously a safe bet at 18. Hes going to be the next Vernon Davis like prospect at that position. The guy is a freak. We spent ALOT of time scouting UNC games again this year as stated by Steiny so it makes sense that we know the kid.

Matthews is the typical Idzik philosophy, hardworker, good character, and good teammate. Hes also a talented player

Jimmy Garoppolo is a guy no one is really talking about but the Jets like him a lot. 3 meetings the jets have already had with him.

"#Jets are definitely high on Jimmy Garoppolo. Met with him at the Senior Bowl, Combine and now flew out to his Pro Day yesterday to see him."

Martavis Bryant is the guy we were coveting today at Clemson. We know the jets love Watkins but Bryant possesses some really good intangibles and potential. Remember Bryant was a junior coming out. Hes still got a lot of room to grow.

Phillip Gaines- Stud at the combine, jets met with him there.

Laderius Perkins- Jets met with him at the combine

Gabe Ikard- Jets met with him at the combine

In my mock, I looked for guys with good character, hardworking, linkage to the jets, and guys with high potential. Thats Idzik like. Remember he did meet with a majority of players we drafted last year.
TheManager

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mock is actually more realistic in my eyes.

I although I keep dreaming about getting a guy like Ware and Byrd to boost our defense, I guess I am only kidding myself.

One thing I do like about this draft, like you said, you brought guys in with some good character, doesn't seem like anyone that's risky in my eyes. Lots of potential more than anything.

Never knew we were so linked to Garoppolo. Havent really watched any tape on him. One thing I do not like about this, Shaun Hill. Id rather have us resign Sanchez......................................................................................................................................................................................................................
BRING BACK SANCHEZ!
Rich51

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like trading Ellis just to move up 9 places. IMO it weakens the line.

Like themanager, I would rather keep Sanchez over Hill but it's not a deal breaker.

I love the other signings and most of the draft (not a fan of drafting a Qb before the third day)
sharpy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really well thought out Dawg! As to free agency, I think Sanders would be a decent replacement for Holmes and Thurmond could be a nice surprise to replace Cromartie. A FS is a definite need and hopefully Brown could come back healthy and energized.
In my opinion, getting Ebron at 18 is a stretch. If he were there and that was are pick I would be ecstatic! Now maybe trading Ellis to move up in the first to grab him would be a wiser move? I really don't have a problem dumping Ellis. I think he's over rated. Regardless! I think your strategy is excellent. Should be interesting! I somehow see something crazy happening on draft day. Can't wait! Applause

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: