Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Offseason:If You Dont Like It, I Dont Care

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devils1854

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Mock Offseason:If You Dont Like It, I Dont Care Reply with quote

I normally do a full 7 round mock and go off that, but Ive been lazy lately, and dont feel like doing one yet. So you get this.

2014 Cap-133 mil
Top 51-112.5 mil
Cap Space-20.5 million

Restructure
[WR]Roddy White(4 yr/21.9)
Savings-1.4 mil

Released
[FS]Thomas DeCoud
Savings-3.0 million

Retirement
Tony Gonzalez
Jason Snelling
Savings-8.4 million

Cap Space heading to FA-33.3 million

RFA
Resigned-[WR]Kevin Cone(2 yr/1.2 mil)
Resigned-[CB]Robert McClain(3 yr/8.9 mil)
2014 Cap Hit-2.9 million

UFA
Resigned-[OT]Mike Johnson(2 yr/3.1 mil)
Resigned-[C]Joe Hawley(3 yr/4.6 mil)
2014 Cap Hit-2.7 million

Not retained-[TE]Chase Coffman
Not retained-[OT]Jeremy Trueblood
Not retained-[OT]Sean Locklear
Not retained-[DT]Jonathan Babineaux
Not retained-[DT]Peria Jerry
Not retained-[OLB]Omar Gaither
Not retained-[CB]Dominique Franks

Free Agency
[RB]Jonathan Dwyer(1 yr/0.8 mil)
[TE]Ed Dickson(3 yr/5.8 mil)
[OG]Uche Nwaneri(3 yr/ 6.4 mil)
[DT]Randy Starks(4 yr/31.4 mil)
[OLB]James Anderson(2 yr/2.2 mil)
[CB]Drayton Florence(1 yr/0.9 mil)
[FS}Jairus Byrd(5 yr/44.2 mil)
2014 Cap Hit-21.4 million

Top Needs Entering Draft
Pass Rusher
DT
OT
C
TE
RB
CB

Draft
1.Khalil Mack||OLB/DE||Buffalo
2.Joel Bitonio||OG/OT||Nevada
3.Kelcy Quarles||DT||South Carolina
4.Terrance Mitchell||CB||Oregon
5.Tyler Larsen||C||Utah State
5.Joe Don Duncan||TE||Dixie State
6.DeAndre Coleman||NT||California
7.Jerick McKinnon||RB||Georgia Southern
7.Jonathan Brown||OLB||Illinois
7.Marcus Williams||CB||North Dakota State

Depth Chart

Offense
QB:Matt Ryan||Dominique Davis||Sean Renfree
RB:Steven Jackson||Jacquizz Rodgers||Jonathan Dwyer||Antone Smith||Jerrick McKinnon
FB:Bradie Ewing||Patrick DiMarco
WR:Julio Jones||Kevin Cone
WR:Roddy White||Drew Davis
WR:Harry Douglas||Darius Johnson
TE:Ed Dickson||Levine Toilolo||Joe Don Duncan
LT:Sam Baker||Ryan Schraeder
LG:Justin Blalock||Harland Gunn
C:Joe Hawley||Tyler Larsen||Peter Konz
RG:Uche Nwaneri||Joel Botinio||Gabe Carimi
RT:Lamar Holmes||Joel Bitonio

LDE:Khalil Mack||Kroy Biermann||Malliciah Goodman||Cliff Matthews
UT:Randy Starks||Kelcy Quarles||Travian Robertson
NT:Corey Peters||DeAndre Coleman||Adam Replogle
RDE:Osi Umenyiora||Jonathan Massaquio||Stansley Maponga
SLB:Joplo Bartu||James Anderson
MLB:Paul Worrilow||Akeem Dent
WLB:Sean Weatherspoon||James Anderson||Jonathan Brown

LDE:Randy Starks||Kelcy Quarles||Malliciah Goodman
NT:Corey Peters||DeAndre Coleman||Adam Repologle
RDE:Osi Umenyiora||Jonathan Massaquoi
OLB:Khalil Mack||Kroy Biermann
ILB:Paul Worrilow||Akeem Dent
ILB:Sean Weatherspoon||James Anderson
ILB:Joplo Bartu||Jonathan Brown

Secondary
CB:Desmond Trufant||Terrance Mitchell
CB:Robert Alford||Drayton Florence||Marcus Williams
NKL:Robert McClain
FS:Jairus Byrd||Kemal Ismael
SS:William Moore||Zeke Motta

#JDI

Chuckie Keeton, 2014 Heisman Campaign
swoosh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feeling the Duck love with Byrd, Dickson, and Mitchell. Also love the Mack and Coleman picks. With that being said, very unrealistic FA. The Falcons have never been that active in FA under the TD era. Sure, the cap is there, but I can't see their philosophy of building through the draft changing after one bad season.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swoosh wrote:
Feeling the Duck love with Byrd, Dickson, and Mitchell. Also love the Mack and Coleman picks. With that being said, very unrealistic FA. The Falcons have never been that active in FA under the TD era. Sure, the cap is there, but I can't see their philosophy of building through the draft changing after one bad season.

Atlanta signed 5 players last year. SJax, Osi, Brian Banks, Jeremy Trueblood, and Sean Loclear.

The team didnt have to sign many new players in the 2012 offseason because they had way too many of their own free agents, unlike this year. The team resigned 13 players from the roster.

A lot of these moves are necessary. There are only 2 corners under contract at the moment. McClain should be a lock to come back, but Franks? Who knows how the team views him, or if he think's he worth more than the team will offer. A vet like Florence, under a non-guraranteed contract, would be necessary if Franks is gone, even if we draft more corners.

I have the same reasoning with Jonathan Dwyer. Losing a vet presence like Snelling is huge. The FO might take a late round pick, and be content, but they might not feel that way. Another one year non-guaranteed contract for a vet back seems plausable.

We have 2 OLBs under contract. We need at least 4. We cant take 2 in the draft. A cheap vet is needed.

More than likely, a veteran OT or OG is going to be added. I went with the guard.

I chose going the free agent route at TE instead of bringing back Coffman, who would probably cost about the same as a mid-tier FA, and the FA would be better.

7 FAs seem like a lot, but 3 are roster fillers, 2 are backups/average starters, and 2 are impact players. With the way that Blank wants to win now, I could see it happening.

#JDI

swoosh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
Atlanta signed 5 players last year. SJax, Osi, Brian Banks, Jeremy Trueblood, and Sean Loclear.
I honestly stopped reading here because of how ridiculous of an argument that is. You're much better than that.

Banks was signed for pocket change. Still counts technically but serious meh.

Trueblood and Locklear were both signed in the regular season due to injuries.

So we're talking about 3 players signed during free agency.

In 2012, Lofa Tatupu. In 2011, none. In 2010, Dunta Robinson. In 2009, Mike Peterson and Brett Romberg. In 2008, Michael Turner, Ben Hartsock, Von Hutchins, and Erik Coleman.

So in six years, TD has signed 11 players during the FA period. That's less than two players per year. In the last five years, a total of seven players have been signed.

I don't care how much cap is available. I don't care how many of their own guys are FA's. You're expecting a ridiculously high increase in FA signings. Again, the average is less than two a year and you're expecting them to sign seven (the amount they have signed in the last five years combined). BTW, just for [inappropriate/removed] and giggles, I calculated the % increase that you're expecting. 283%. Realistic? Srsly?

Please. It's unrealistic. Which is fine, it's your mock. But I can't believe you're trying to argue it's realistic. It's just not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swoosh wrote:
devils1854 wrote:
I honestly stopped reading here because of how ridiculous of an argument that is. You're much better than that.

Banks was signed for pocket change. Still counts technically but serious meh.

Trueblood and Locklear were both signed in the regular season due to injuries.

I know Trueblood and Lockear were signed during the season. Those signings pretty much mirror the signings I have of Dwyer and Florence. Just because I have them as offseason signings doesnt mean that I think they will be signed in the March to May window. They are more training camp/beginning of the season signings. Dwyer isnt going to be picked up by anyone before training camp or maybe even the season. He is a player that I have being brought in for depth, much the way that Trueblood was brought in for depth at the beginning of the season. TD has also shown the tendency to bring in a vet CB during training camp as well(Foxworth, Hayden, McClain), and I could see another vet like Florence being brought in at the same time, especially if we have rookies as our 4th and 5th corners, and I can see it happening because I dont see the team bringing back Franks.

We also absolutely have to have a vet OLB brought in. Spoon and Bartu are the only two on the roster, and I dont see us rolling with two rookies as the backups. It might not be a guy like James Anderson, but someone with be brought in. Someone on Omar Gaither's level at least.

It looks like DeCoud will be cut, so that's a spot that will be filled by free agency.

Peters is back, but we still need at least 2-3 more DTs, to fill out the 5 man rotation. I might be wrong, but I dont see Babs back in a Falcons uniform. He will probably want too much than we are willing to give a 32(33 during the season) year old. That's where Starks comes in.

The FO has made numerous statements about improving the lines. Do you really think that sigining Carimi, resigning Johnson and Hawley, and drafting someone will be all this team does? Im willing to bet another OG/OT will be brought in, and I have us signing a guard.

We need a starting TE. We probably know that we wont be drafting one early, because of our needs along the lines. I could be wrong but a unit of Coffman/Toilolo/rookie isnt something I think this team will live with, but I could be wrong. This is the only signing that I think might not happen.

Take out the TE, and tell me how unrealistic the signings of Byrd, Starks, Anderson, and Nwaneri are during the main FA period given our holes? Add in Dwyer and Florence in training camp/beginning of the season, and it seems like a normal offseason.

#JDI

BeeperKing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like Randy Starks, but I like the draft.

Daboyle250 on the sig

Foster a Falcon: Thomas DeCoud

FakingInjuries wrote:

Without those elite targets, [Matt Ryan] is in the same tier as Matt Cassell.
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of this at all. There are better options than Bitono in the 2nd, same w/ Quarles in the 3rd.. hell I feel like you reached on just about every round except for a few (Coleman in the 6th and Mack in the 1st.) Also, not a fan of your FA signings and no way we sign that many players.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty solid. People get attached to certain names and when the draft comes, they dont even go close to where we thought.
devils1854

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeeperKing wrote:
Don't like Randy Starks, but I like the draft.

The reason I went with Stark is because I read that we have had contact with him. Id much rather have Livinal Joseph or Jason Hatcher personally.

#JDI

devils1854

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpoonFed56 wrote:
Not a fan of this at all. There are better options than Bitono in the 2nd, same w/ Quarles in the 3rd.. hell I feel like you reached on just about every round except for a few (Coleman in the 6th and Mack in the 1st.) Also, not a fan of your FA signings and no way we sign that many players.

All draft websites that I go to have Quarles as a top 75 pick. Thats right at the 3rd round.

Bitonio is a little lower, but still a top 3 round player by all. Once you get past the top 4 tackles, it gets muddy. There really isnt a clear cut #5 to me. You have guys like Antonio Richardson, Morgan Moses, and JuWuan James. I dont think they are head and shoulders above Bitonio as a tackle prospect, and Bitonio has one thing that the others dont, and thats the ability to play either guard or tackle, and that is exactly what we need. Is it a slight reach? Probably, but Bitonio had a good week at the Senior Bowl, and he tested very well at the combine(3rd fastest 40, 3rd best 10 yard split, 2nd best shuttle, 2nd fastest cone, and 2nd best broad jump), so its not far fetched that he will be a 2nd round pick.

#JDI

SpicyMcHaggis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, very good mock.

I'd like to see a late round pick on a WR, but can't be too picky.
devils1854

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpicyMcHaggis wrote:
Overall, very good mock.

I'd like to see a late round pick on a WR, but can't be too picky.

I wanted a WR in the mock, but I thought a 5th CB, 5th OLB, and 5th RB were more important. Plus, Davis and Johnson have exceeded expectations when they were called on. I would see us picking up at least one in UDFA. The position is so deep this year, and some talented receivers are going to go undrafted. Guys like Shaq Evans, Kevin Norwood, Cody Hoffman, and L'Damian Washington are just some names that are probably in that 20-30 prospect rankings for the position that could get passed on because of the depth of the class.

#JDI

JFalconFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make very appealing arguments as to why this mock is feasible... for that I commend you. But overall, not really a fan of it. I like your IDEAS however.

JGold on the Sig

Atlanta Falcons and LSU Tigers all the way!
devils1854

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFalconFan wrote:
You make very appealing arguments as to why this mock is feasible... for that I commend you. But overall, not really a fan of it. I like your IDEAS however.

Thanks. Thats all that I ask for. Not everyone is going to agree on a prospect or what player we should bring in at position A, but I feel like I made a very realistic mock, given our cap, Arthur Blank's call to get this team better asap, and given our holes.

I have a much more pessimistic/realistic view on the offseason, and if that puts people off, oh well.

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: