Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

S, Aaron Williams signs 4 year Extension
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickChowaniec

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: S, Aaron Williams signs 4 year Extension Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/441244596559835137

So happy. Love this kid, always hoped he'd blossom and he sure did after moving to safety.

mkkost84

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured this is what would happen now. I actually don't mind it.

I said the following in the news section:
Quote:

It was pretty much guaranteed that Byrd was gone, but I think this move only further cements that idea. I really see Byrd ending up in Cleveland now.

It stinks to pretty much lose Byrd without any return in value, but I actually don't mind this decision at all if Byrd's asking price is so high. Williams really took off in 2013 after moving to safety and I'm high on him making the loss of Byrd not hurt quite as bad.

Buffalo probably got Williams for half the price (or maybe even less) than what it would have cost them to keep Byrd. With the Bills investing the money in Williams instead of Byrd it will help a lot in the next couple of years with big name players contracts set to expire. The list includes CJ Spiller, Marcell Dareus, Cordy Glenn, and Fred Jackson.

BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice extending Aaron Williams since were loosing Byrd.

If we can get Williams and say Delmas for the price it would of costs for just Byrd than I'm good

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that the Bills are being proactive on Aaron Williams, unlike Byrd. However I think they over paid. There are reports saying he will be the 8th highest paid safety in the NFL. This is only his 2nd year at safety. I just think that's a lot of money for a guy that was just converted to safety a year ago and has missed 14 games in 3 seasons. He is still young and has a very high ceiling, which could pay off, but this is a risky deal in my opinion.
LeeEvans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Bills overpaid for a player with only one year of being a competent starter. I am happy the managed to resign him as he was great last season, the fact he is still only 23 is also really good news. I was upset when they signed McKelvin to such a long contact but he more than deserved it last season, hopefully the same happens with Aaron Williams as well.

The night is dark and full of terrors.
jsnydes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billsfaninptown wrote:
I like that the Bills are being proactive on Aaron Williams, unlike Byrd. However I think they over paid. There are reports saying he will be the 8th highest paid safety in the NFL. This is only his 2nd year at safety. I just think that's a lot of money for a guy that was just converted to safety a year ago and has missed 14 games in 3 seasons. He is still young and has a very high ceiling, which could pay off, but this is a risky deal in my opinion.

The salary cap is expected to go through the roof in the next few years. So what really is overpaying? TJ Ward and Byrd are going to break through that. You can count on Earl Thomas busting through that number. A couple other guys that are still on their rookie contract. So I don't think they paid too much.

TommyC376^^^
mkkost84

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsnydes wrote:
Billsfaninptown wrote:

The salary cap is expected to go through the roof in the next few years. So what really is overpaying? TJ Ward and Byrd are going to break through that. You can count on Earl Thomas busting through that number. A couple other guys that are still on their rookie contract. So I don't think they paid too much.

Whitner is a free agent too and probably commands a fairly hefty salary. In 2011 he signed for 3 yrs $11.75M, and that was after waiting until August to do so. So even when he kind of took a discounted rate, he was still at about $4M a season. That was 3 years ago. I wouldn't be too surprised if Whitner gets double that now.

With those 4 names alone (Byrd, Ward, Whitner, Thomas) that pushes Williams back outside the top 10 in terms on contracts for safeties. If Williams continues playing like he did last year his contract is going to be a great value for Buffalo. Especially considering how the cap is expected to rise in the coming years and how contracts are always 'one upped' every year.
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this move a lot. Did we really overpay? He is going to make 4 mil a year less then what Byrd would have and he played better then him last year IMO.

The way i see it, we just locked up one of the best young safeties in the league for the next 5 seasons. Plus he is a homegrown talent.

I'm all about my BILLS, I'm on my Stevie Johnson .... I mean Sammy Watkins.
cdavls17

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see this being overpaid. Smart move now extend dareus

Thanks Max
Billsfaninptown

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsnydes wrote:
Billsfaninptown wrote:

I do think this deal could be reasonable if Williams continues to develop and builds off of last year. Right now I think it's a little risky. People tend to forget his first 2 years where he was awful and couldn't stay healthy. I know the first two years were at CB and last year he excelled at switching to safety, but that is only 1 year. The guys you're comparing him to are proven commodities and Williams is not. Just my take. Looks like I am in the minority.
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:
I don't see this being overpaid. Smart move now extend dareus

Yea this is a no brainer. Don't wait til last minute on Dareus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dareus is much like Aaron, very young and on the brink of being elite. We could lock him up for a much more reasonable price now versus next offseason. I think he'll be even better in 2014-15. I think he'll receive a deal similar to Aaron's, likely around 7 million per season.

jsnydes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickChowaniec wrote:
Dareus is much like Aaron, very young and on the brink of being elite. We could lock him up for a much more reasonable price now versus next offseason. I think he'll be even better in 2014-15. I think he'll receive a deal similar to Aaron's, likely around 7 million per season.

Agree. IMO this front office is off to a sizzling start. The Leodis deal looks amazing now also. Last year the cornerback market was so soft. Guys like Grimes took 1 year deals because of it. Grimes just got PAID.

You look back at the Stevie Johnson deal. Another great contract. Locked him up before Free agency began. Paid him 7+ million a season. That same offseason Mike Wallace 10+, Garçon 9+, Vincent Jackson 12+, Meachem got up against 7, even Josh Morgan and Laurent Robinson got 6+ per season.

Overall I'm happy with the financial decisions the team is making.

TommyC376^^^
TommyC376

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this extension.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Williams but this contract seems very rich based on his complete history as a player. He played much better once moved to safety as many of us figured he would. Still, very limited time at safety to evaluate him on. For this cost, I would rather have forked over the extra money to get Byrd done.

I think Williams could very well end up living up to this deal, but he could just as easily not.

^^^NickChowaniec^^^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: