Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Chopping Block: McClain, Cox, and Patrick Up First
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: The Chopping Block: McClain, Cox, and Patrick Up First Reply with quote

All info from Rotoworld

Quote:
Chargers released FB Le'Ron McClain.
McClain was set to count over $3 million against the cap in the final year of his contract. The Bolts save $2.5 million with the move. In coach Mike McCoy's first year running the offense, McClain, 29, saw his snaps reduced significantly. It was an easy call for GM Tom Telesco. Due to his still relatively young age and just one career game missed, McClain is now the top free agent lead blocker. He can also handle the rock. It's a position that isn't used much anymore.

Quote:
Chargers released CB Derek Cox.
Cox inked a four-year, $20 million contract on the second day of free agency last year and received $10.25 million guaranteed for one season of utterly mediocre play. The Chargers save $4.25 million in cash but are eating $3.9 million in dead money against the cap. The move clears just $1.65 million in cap space. Cox was benched multiple times last season. He was deemed expendable for a team that really needs corner help. Cox is still just 27 years old.

Quote:
Chargers waived CB Johnny Patrick.
A 2011 third-rounder of the Saints, Patrick was claimed off waivers in February 2013. He went on to appear in 13 games, making four starts, before landing on injured reserve with an ankle injury. Patrick's 484 snaps last season were the most of his career, but he remained ineffective. He'll likely have to settle for No. 4/5 corner duties and special teams in 2014.

Might as well keep any new ones in here.

Cuts:
Le'Ron McClain
Derek Cox
Johnny Patrick

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda liked the way Patrick played. I understand the Cox and Mcclain cuts though.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkieray wrote:
I kinda liked the way Patrick played. I understand the Cox and Mcclain cuts though.

I like the way Patrick played but the guy literally injured himself every game he played in.

He's made out of glass and you can't depend on someone like that.

Rumblings and rumors are just that at this stage, but hearing we may be set to make an overture to Walter Thurmond. Though, consider the source (often times these rumors are really just overspun accounts of reporters talking about "good fits" rather than anything substantiated by actual interest from either party).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give Thurmond a Derek Cox contract, maybe some more

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
game3525

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is taking them so long to give Clary the boot? I understand the whole need of "veteran presence on a young team" with JJ, but he is still a productive player. Clary is flat-out terrible and even if he was average, he has no business making 6 million.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
What is taking them so long to give Clary the boot? I understand the whole need of "veteran presence on a young team" with JJ, but he is still a productive player. Clary is flat-out terrible and even if he was average, he has no business making 6 million.

Because they aren't going to create a hole just to create a hole. We're not hard up for cap space any longer with Royal restructuring and the cap going up.

We're not going to be big time players for major name free agents - we're just not, people need to accept this and move on as it doesn't appear to be how Tom Telesco does business.

If we cut Clary we have a whopping 1 guard on the roster that logged any regular season minutes for us last season - that's not how you run a team properly, even if the player in question is as terrible as Jeromey Clary.

I've said all along, Clary wasn't going to get the boot from this team until someone beats him out for his spot - the club isn't going to take it from him. If he's beaten out by someone in camp then obviously he becomes viewed as far too overpaid to be a backup so they'll likely either cut him or strong-arm him into taking a pay-cut if he wants to stay on the roster. So don't expect to see his name on the chopping block until June at the earliest and probably closer to August, if in fact the team does ever decide to cut him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
game3525 wrote:

Because they aren't going to create a hole just to create a hole. We're not hard up for cap space any longer with Royal restructuring and the cap going up.

We're not going to be big time players for major name free agents - we're just not, people need to accept this and move on as it doesn't appear to be how Tom Telesco does business.

If we cut Clary we have a whopping 1 guard on the roster that logged any regular season minutes for us last season - that's not how you run a team properly, even if the player in question is as terrible as Jeromey Clary.

I've said all along, Clary wasn't going to get the boot from this team until someone beats him out for his spot - the club isn't going to take it from him. If he's beaten out by someone in camp then obviously he becomes viewed as far too overpaid to be a backup so they'll likely either cut him or strong-arm him into taking a pay-cut if he wants to stay on the roster. So don't expect to see his name on the chopping block until June at the earliest and probably closer to August, if in fact the team does ever decide to cut him.

So we are stuck with him? Crying or Very sad
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
So we are stuck with him? Crying or Very sad

For now.

As soon as they get Rinehart and Ohrnberger signed, get another FA, or draft a guy, they'll cut Clary. Troutman and Clary are the only OG's on the roster right now.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Lowe_51

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clary needs to be gone...or take a pay cut. a 6.25M cap number is outrageous for what he brings to the field.

the number on english is way too high as well for a back-up. IMO he's behind ingram, freeney, johnson and walker...the 5th OLB on the depth chart should not be he's only 865K in dead money if dumped, a no-brainer if you ask me.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowe_51 wrote:
clary needs to be gone...or take a pay cut. a 6.25M cap number is outrageous for what he brings to the field.

the number on english is way too high as well for a back-up. IMO he's behind ingram, freeney, johnson and walker...the 5th OLB on the depth chart should not be he's only 865K in dead money if dumped, a no-brainer if you ask me.

no way a healthy English is behind Walker on the depth Chart. And there's no telling if Freeney can provide anything other than a body out there anymore, and coming off back to back heavily injured seasons, i'm not counting on him for anything.

As for Clary....Why? There's still guys we COULD spend money on, but most of this seems like its going to end up as reserve money. We're at ~6m in cap space right now, ~3m will go to the guys we draft. I'm not sure who else we'd be legit players for. There's no great options at WR or NT left (unless TT REALLY wants to bring in Wilfork, and he should come cheaper and with little guaranteed money coming off that injury at his age).

Unless we have a replacement for Clary, there's no reason at all to cut him unless we need the cash right then to spend on somebody, it just opens up another big hole. While he wasn't very good at OG, he wasn't awful either (below average starter IMO; and yeah, someones gonna throw out the BS about the FO or some other grade that had him at really bad blah blah...i dont care...), and he's a vet leader on this team. If nothing else, he's a solid backup who can play both OT and OG and a mentor to some of the young guys. Think of him as the Jaques Cesaire of the OL, but better, and actually a starter.

Like i said, there's no reason to rush it into taking a pay cut, because if that money isn't going to be used, there's no point in cutting him or having him take a pay cut, unless you really want to save Deano the money...

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clary needs to go for fan morale. False starts, falling flat on his bum and blocking his own teammates. As depth he should make no more then 1.5 & then I'm ok with him being around but by Hades please don't make me watch him start day 1 again.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Lowe_51

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesn't matter if we use any of the money saved at all this year, there's no way they pay clary 6M+
even if you don't have any players in mind to use it on, excess cap money can roll over now...why would you not slash his pay when he clearly isn't earning it? at his absolute best he's a middle of the road starting guard in this league (and even that's a stretch). very few players at that position make anywhere near that kind of money, if i had to guess, i would say maybe 5 or 6 guards make more than 6.25M in the entire league. it was an awful contract from day one and it remains awful. this year we can finally be rid of it without getting crushed with dead money. it has to happen eventually.

i will eat a big steamy plate of my own feces if this guy gets every dime left in that contract (or more likely i'll quit my 37 year chargers habit instead). it just won't happen.

also, i should say rather that reggie walker brings more to the team than english. he plays specials and is more versatile. english is best standing on the sideline with his helmet under his arm. larry english is dead weight.
Lowe_51

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

signed over the last few days:
john jerry 1 yr 770K
kevin boothe 2 yrs 2.6M
willie colon 1 yr 2M

still out there (and cheap):
uche nwaneri
davin joseph
wade smith

remind me why jeromey clary and his obscene cap number are still around?
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of those guys are any good either or they have major injury issues. I'm sure the number will come done at some point, but they just don't have a need to cut him right now.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
game3525

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, none of those guys are any good. Clary's replacement is coming from the draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: