Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Proof that Jerry is learning from Garrett, others....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
textaz03


Moderator
Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 11128
Location: Land of the Jersey Devil!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, somebody please explain to me why Jerry is not a football guy (as a GM)?

I don't get that argument at all! Maybe during his first 5-10 years as an owner/GM, But, not now. He has been an owner/GM for 25 years, he has had success and he has had failure. He knows the league inside and out. I mean come on, he has more time in the league than a crap load of executives.

To say Jerry isn't a football guy (right now) is to say that HT doesn't like to hunt or fish!
_________________




"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
textaz03


Moderator
Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 11128
Location: Land of the Jersey Devil!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought this was funny though:

@espn_macmahon: RT @sonofbum: Jason Garrett tied with Wade Phillips for 56 games as @dallascowboys head coach. Phillips: 34-22; Garrett: 29-27. #suprisesMe
_________________




"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Dirk Gently


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 6092
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
Ok, somebody please explain to me why Jerry is not a football guy (as a GM)?

I don't get that argument at all! Maybe during his first 5-10 years as an owner/GM, But, not now. He has been an owner/GM for 25 years, he has had success and he has had failure. He knows the league inside and out. I mean come on, he has more time in the league than a crap load of executives.

To say Jerry isn't a football guy (right now) is to say that HT doesn't like to hunt or fish!

As I said earlier, his problem is that he skips GM and goes right into owner mode when a coach asks for something

Ryan wants CBs, Jerry doesn't say ""what can we afford" he bids on the top FA CB two years in a row and trades up for the #1 pick.

Garrett wants a Z receiver who will threaten defenses. Jerry trades three draft picks for Roy Williams.

Phillips says "keep Marion barber" and Jerry gives him a huge contract.

A GM would have his own vision for the team and determine the fit for it. Jerry's vision for the team is whatever his coach has. That's why the team has been so schizo for so long.

Part of the reason we're making head way is that Garrett has rebuilt the team according to his vision, like Parcells and Jimmy and, briefly, Gailey, rather than singly using the team from before him in a different way (Switzer, campo, Phillips)
_________________
first-pick mock draft
Mack, OLB; Sutton, DT; Bailey, FS; Abbrederis, WR; Bitonio, OT; Halapio, OG; Easley, DT; Jean-Baptiste, CB; Murray, QB; Brown, OLB; McKinnon, RB; Saunders, WR; Hornsey, P
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheStarStillShines


Joined: 12 Oct 2004
Posts: 8520
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
Ok, somebody please explain to me why Jerry is not a football guy (as a GM)?

I don't get that argument at all! Maybe during his first 5-10 years as an owner/GM, But, not now. He has been an owner/GM for 25 years, he has had success and he has had failure. He knows the league inside and out. I mean come on, he has more time in the league than a crap load of executives.

To say Jerry isn't a football guy (right now) is to say that HT doesn't like to hunt or fish!

As I said earlier, his problem is that he skips GM and goes right into owner mode when a coach asks for something

Ryan wants CBs, Jerry doesn't say ""what can we afford" he bids on the top FA CB two years in a row and trades up for the #1 pick.

Garrett wants a Z receiver who will threaten defenses. Jerry trades three draft picks for Roy Williams.

Phillips says "keep Marion barber" and Jerry gives him a huge contract.

A GM would have his own vision for the team and determine the fit for it. Jerry's vision for the team is whatever his coach has. That's why the team has been so schizo for so long.

Part of the reason we're making head way is that Garrett has rebuilt the team according to his vision, like Parcells and Jimmy and, briefly, Gailey, rather than singly using the team from before him in a different way (Switzer, campo, Phillips)


Great reply Dirk. I would also add that the best GMs adjust their strategies (draft, player personnel), visions, and expectations over time. For 20+ years, JJ never changed his approach. He focused on putting money in the skilled positions but didn't invest in the trenches, thinking that the team could hit lightning over and over again with late-round picks, UDFAs, and low-cost FAs, much like Jimmy did with E. Williams, Tuinei, Newton, Gogan, etc. JJ hit the jackpot with Larry Allen in 1994, and when he did he thought he could replicate that success (he did once with Flozell Adams).

It's only until recently that he's adjusted his approach (assuming he's the GM), so he may be learning from Garrett and other GMs across the league. However, he hasn't really learned how to manage the cap, and he gets too attached to some players. He has to learn when to let a player go, even if he is at the prime of his career.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buddy_z34


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Posts: 16166
Location: San Antonio, Texas
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
retrolock wrote:
^Thanks for answering slam and plan, much respect for being one those guys who "goes against the flow." That being said, most people really don't take to gloom and doom scenarios, most Cowboys fans are optimists (based here in FF), and always fall back in the rosy past and what-should-have-beens (Romo's FG blunder and Crayton's stone hands).

I for one don't have much confidence in Garrett, he became HC too soon imo. We shouldn't have hired Wade after Parcells departed, or he should have been canned after the 2008 season, after the Eagles walloped us.

The main gist of this topic is Jones finally seeing the light? Even after the bad decisions and stupid drafting, has he finally turned the corner? Disregard your distrust in Joan Rivers, but what does your gut tells you?

After this 2014 draft and Free Agency we may finally be getting answers if Jerry really is an old dog who can learn new tricks, or is just too demented to be trusted.


My gut tells me that nothing will change because the underlying problem is Jerry himself and his refusal to bring in a real football guy to run the team. As long as Jerry keeps thinking that he's the best guy for the job and refuses to implement organizational accountability and real leadership, then nothing will ultimately change.


The problem is that Jerry is still living in 2007. In 2007, optimism about Tony Romo and a potent offense were real. In 2007, the defense was on the verge of being really good. In 2009, the defense shutout its opponents the last 2 games of the season and held the Eagles to 14 points in the playoffs. Then, in 2010, the window suddenly closed shut. But, because many of the players responsible for the rise remain, Jerry refuses to move on. He mortgaged the caps on those players instead of trading them while they still had value. For 3 straight years (soon to be 4), he fielded a team with a bunch of high priced players and sacrificed depth. As a result, we have a team that is stuck in perpetual limbo... good enough to beat bad teams. But bad enough to consistently lose to good teams. Never bad enough to draft truly the elite talent in the draft. Never good enough to get into the playoffs.


I think the problem is some of y'all are still living in 92-95. That team had the greatest Oline in history. A HoF QB, RB and WR. With also a top defense to boot. The stars, no pun intended, lined up perfectly. Hell if it wasn't for Minny the team might not have won SuperBowls then. The second to last dynasty in NFL history for a reason. That reason being free agency. It kills any continuity your team may want. You need the perfect mixture of draftees, veterans and free agents. It's like hitting the lottery but in a very very smaller sample group.

The last few supposedly dynasties Pats haven't won since 04. Ten years!! The Packers with the draft guru Ted Thompson has had seasons up and down. The Seahawks with the great group of young players will soon also have the same fate. You build up your draftees but then you have to pay them. The window for winning opens and closes soo fast now it's crazy. Also another reason for the parity in the NFL. This is a reason why we must cut ties with Ware. It'll help the TEAM. Addition by subtraction.

Jerry has been doing better with drafts lately which is good. Even with all his coaching changes with the coordinators this team was still in the running for making the playoffs. They've fallen short but they've been there down the stretch. Even though the record has been reading 8-8 the past few seasons the team has had chances to make the playoffs. Didn't y'all say regular seasons records don't matter?? Even with the constant changes and those damn injuries (can't we bring in a specialty trainer to help with hamstring issues) the team is their to get in come week 17. A chance for the playoffs sounds competitive to me. It's the media who focuses on the record. The players focus on having that chance.

Yes Jerry may be the problem but the old geezer isn't going anywhere he has said this. Let's be grateful he is showing progress. Even if it's a slow gradual process. I didn't think it was possible to teach old dogs new tricks.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
TheStarStillShines


Joined: 12 Oct 2004
Posts: 8520
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy_z34 wrote:
I think the problem is some of y'all are still living in 92-95. That team had the greatest Oline in history. A HoF QB, RB and WR. With also a top defense to boot. The stars, no pun intended, lined up perfectly. Hell if it wasn't for Minny the team might not have won SuperBowls then. The second to last dynasty in NFL history for a reason. That reason being free agency. It kills any continuity your team may want. You need the perfect mixture of draftees, veterans and free agents. It's like hitting the lottery but in a very very smaller sample group.

The last few supposedly dynasties Pats haven't won since 04. Ten years!! The Packers with the draft guru Ted Thompson has had seasons up and down. The Seahawks with the great group of young players will soon also have the same fate. You build up your draftees but then you have to pay them. The window for winning opens and closes soo fast now it's crazy. Also another reason for the parity in the NFL. This is a reason why we must cut ties with Ware. It'll help the TEAM. Addition by subtraction.

Jerry has been doing better with drafts lately which is good. Even with all his coaching changes with the coordinators this team was still in the running for making the playoffs. They've fallen short but they've been there down the stretch. Even though the record has been reading 8-8 the past few seasons the team has had chances to make the playoffs. Didn't y'all say regular seasons records don't matter?? Even with the constant changes and those damn injuries (can't we bring in a specialty trainer to help with hamstring issues) the team is their to get in come week 17. A chance for the playoffs sounds competitive to me. It's the media who focuses on the record. The players focus on having that chance.

Yes Jerry may be the problem but the old geezer isn't going anywhere he has said this. Let's be grateful he is showing progress. Even if it's a slow gradual process. I didn't think it was possible to teach old dogs new tricks.


Baloney! No one is living in the past. People expect their team to be winners, not a malcontent, mediocre football team. How can anyone be happy with that? Who goes around and say, "I'm proud to be a fan of a mediocre football team that hasn't won anything meaningful since 1996?" It doesn't matter the sport, you want your team to win and win often. Football is about results, not about mediocrity. You're remembered for winning championships, not for just hanging around. Ask Dan Marino - he has great stats, but he's publicly stated that he would trade all that away for a SB ring. I'm sure Romo feels the same way. Players want more than a chance - they want to win. That's why so many players will go to winning franchises, often taking less no matter the sport.

Having "a chance at making the playoffs" is mediocrity and to succumb to that mentality means you've bought into this perpetual state of mediocrity that the Cowboys have occupied for 17 years. I want my team to have a chance at winning the SB every year. For instance, even though the Patriots haven't won a SB since 2004, they've played in 2 other SBs, participated in 3 other AFC title games, and only missed the playoffs once, which happened in 2008 when Brady got injured and the Pats still finished at 11-5! Heck, I would settle for that because you know your team can compete for a championship not just fighting tooth and nail to sneak into the playoffs or worse.

And sure, all teams go through peaks and valleys. For the Boys, though, it's more like a lot of valleys and the occasional foothill known as 8-8. No one remembers the team that almost made it to the playoffs; everyone remembers who hoisted the Lombardi Trophy. That's forever etched in history, and I'm 100% positive that every single Cowboy wants to be remembered in that way.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dallas94Ware


Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 4570
Location: Queens, NY
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
Ok, somebody please explain to me why Jerry is not a football guy (as a GM)?

I don't get that argument at all! Maybe during his first 5-10 years as an owner/GM, But, not now. He has been an owner/GM for 25 years, he has had success and he has had failure. He knows the league inside and out. I mean come on, he has more time in the league than a crap load of executives.

To say Jerry isn't a football guy (right now) is to say that HT doesn't like to hunt or fish!

As I said earlier, his problem is that he skips GM and goes right into owner mode when a coach asks for something

Ryan wants CBs, Jerry doesn't say ""what can we afford" he bids on the top FA CB two years in a row and trades up for the #1 pick.

Garrett wants a Z receiver who will threaten defenses. Jerry trades three draft picks for Roy Williams.

Phillips says "keep Marion barber" and Jerry gives him a huge contract.

A GM would have his own vision for the team and determine the fit for it. Jerry's vision for the team is whatever his coach has. That's why the team has been so schizo for so long.

Part of the reason we're making head way is that Garrett has rebuilt the team according to his vision, like Parcells and Jimmy and, briefly, Gailey, rather than singly using the team from before him in a different way (Switzer, campo, Phillips)


I think the common misconception that Jerry just decides "I'm taking this guy, Don't care what you want" is more forced upon everyone by the media. And as usual, what the media tends to say, sticks.

I agree Jerry has always gone out of his way to provide his coaches with the guys they want. But I think some of those moves, such as Roy Williams, was more about getting the guy Jerry wanted to fill the need the coach wanted filled, rather than the coach saying 'get me this guy' specifically. I think, based on experience and what I understand from my end, that it's a collective thing - lots of people are involved in the who's and what's, not any individual coach, GM or scout. Some guys may have had more push or pull here and there, like Wade with Spencer, Bill with Carpenter, Jason with Felix, or Jerry with Roy. But in the end it's a collective decision that was influenced by more than any single individual.

And it was Jason who wanted Barber to be retained. I believe his exact words were "Let's not forget we have an everydown guy we all know and believe in." when the decision time came between Mendenhall and Jones. Then his "Jones is, you know, a special..." comment sold Jerry on Felix, kind of sealing the deal on having little choice but to retain Barber.

And yes Dirk, I remember your post on the forum we used to run - you pushed for Chris Johnson over both of them, and pointed him out even before his speedy performance at the combine. Wink
_________________
I'm a Cowboys fan who hates Cowboy fans.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
The_Slamman


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 13183
Location: Las Vegas, NV
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
Ok, somebody please explain to me why Jerry is not a football guy (as a GM)?

I don't get that argument at all! Maybe during his first 5-10 years as an owner/GM, But, not now. He has been an owner/GM for 25 years, he has had success and he has had failure. He knows the league inside and out. I mean come on, he has more time in the league than a crap load of executives.

To say Jerry isn't a football guy (right now) is to say that HT doesn't like to hunt or fish!


A lady could be a nurse for 25 years and be knowledgeable about medicine. But you wouldn't go to her to perform your ankle surgery. There is a vast difference between being knowledgeable and having specific training. Jerry jumped the years of training and went straight to being GM. Because he has never been a scout, position coach, etc he doesn't know the nuances that 90% of the GMs in the NFL have learned and studied when they are trained at the ground level and move up.

Instead, Jerry relies on the opinions of football people. But because Jerry wasnt trained in the nuances, he is basically relying on whoever makes the best sales pitch. In other words, its not Jerry's expertise from analyzing 1000s of hours of game tape that leads him to making a decision. Rather, its Jerry making a decision based on other people's knowledge and opinions and whoever strikes his fancy.
_________________
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.


Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buddy_z34


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Posts: 16166
Location: San Antonio, Texas
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
I think the problem is some of y'all are still living in 92-95. That team had the greatest Oline in history. A HoF QB, RB and WR. With also a top defense to boot. The stars, no pun intended, lined up perfectly. Hell if it wasn't for Minny the team might not have won SuperBowls then. The second to last dynasty in NFL history for a reason. That reason being free agency. It kills any continuity your team may want. You need the perfect mixture of draftees, veterans and free agents. It's like hitting the lottery but in a very very smaller sample group.

The last few supposedly dynasties Pats haven't won since 04. Ten years!! The Packers with the draft guru Ted Thompson has had seasons up and down. The Seahawks with the great group of young players will soon also have the same fate. You build up your draftees but then you have to pay them. The window for winning opens and closes soo fast now it's crazy. Also another reason for the parity in the NFL. This is a reason why we must cut ties with Ware. It'll help the TEAM. Addition by subtraction.

Jerry has been doing better with drafts lately which is good. Even with all his coaching changes with the coordinators this team was still in the running for making the playoffs. They've fallen short but they've been there down the stretch. Even though the record has been reading 8-8 the past few seasons the team has had chances to make the playoffs. Didn't y'all say regular seasons records don't matter?? Even with the constant changes and those damn injuries (can't we bring in a specialty trainer to help with hamstring issues) the team is their to get in come week 17. A chance for the playoffs sounds competitive to me. It's the media who focuses on the record. The players focus on having that chance.

Yes Jerry may be the problem but the old geezer isn't going anywhere he has said this. Let's be grateful he is showing progress. Even if it's a slow gradual process. I didn't think it was possible to teach old dogs new tricks.


Baloney! No one is living in the past. People expect their team to be winners, not a malcontent, mediocre football team. How can anyone be happy with that? Who goes around and say, "I'm proud to be a fan of a mediocre football team that hasn't won anything meaningful since 1996?" It doesn't matter the sport, you want your team to win and win often. Football is about results, not about mediocrity. You're remembered for winning championships, not for just hanging around. Ask Dan Marino - he has great stats, but he's publicly stated that he would trade all that away for a SB ring. I'm sure Romo feels the same way. Players want more than a chance - they want to win. That's why so many players will go to winning franchises, often taking less no matter the sport.

Having "a chance at making the playoffs" is mediocrity and to succumb to that mentality means you've bought into this perpetual state of mediocrity that the Cowboys have occupied for 17 years. I want my team to have a chance at winning the SB every year. For instance, even though the Patriots haven't won a SB since 2004, they've played in 2 other SBs, participated in 3 other AFC title games, and only missed the playoffs once, which happened in 2008 when Brady got injured and the Pats still finished at 11-5! Heck, I would settle for that because you know your team can compete for a championship not just fighting tooth and nail to sneak into the playoffs or worse.

And sure, all teams go through peaks and valleys. For the Boys, though, it's more like a lot of valleys and the occasional foothill known as 8-8. No one remembers the team that almost made it to the playoffs; everyone remembers who hoisted the Lombardi Trophy. That's forever etched in history, and I'm 100% positive that every single Cowboy wants to be remembered in that way.


So you say you're only remembered for hoisting up the Lombardi but yet you give a pass to the Pats for not winning one since 04. So which is it??

The reason I said that at least the team has had a chance at the playoffs is because some of the forum members said the team doesn't get into the playoffs. I just explained that the team is on the fringe and is showing signs of improvement through drafting and continuity. It's only a matter of time before the team becomes annual playoff participants.

Since the 2005 season Dallas has been in contention for a playoff berth coming down to the last game of the season. In 2007 and 2009 they got in. 2010 was the only year they had no chance. So yes while the regular season records don't matter, not my words someone else's, they have been in contention. So while many of you, like the media, see a .500 record. I see contending for the playoffs year in and year out.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Dallas94Ware


Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 4570
Location: Queens, NY
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
Ok, somebody please explain to me why Jerry is not a football guy (as a GM)?

I don't get that argument at all! Maybe during his first 5-10 years as an owner/GM, But, not now. He has been an owner/GM for 25 years, he has had success and he has had failure. He knows the league inside and out. I mean come on, he has more time in the league than a crap load of executives.

To say Jerry isn't a football guy (right now) is to say that HT doesn't like to hunt or fish!


A lady could be a nurse for 25 years and be knowledgeable about medicine. But you wouldn't go to her to perform your ankle surgery. There is a vast difference between being knowledgeable and having specific training. Jerry jumped the years of training and went straight to being GM. Because he has never been a scout, position coach, etc he doesn't know the nuances that 90% of the GMs in the NFL have learned and studied when they are trained at the ground level and move up.

Instead, Jerry relies on the opinions of football people. But because Jerry wasnt trained in the nuances, he is basically relying on whoever makes the best sales pitch. In other words, its not Jerry's expertise from analyzing 1000s of hours of game tape that leads him to making a decision. Rather, its Jerry making a decision based on other people's knowledge and opinions and whoever strikes his fancy.


I think you have the right idea, but I don't like the analogy.

I do think Jerry is a football guy. His background is not in football, and for a long time he was more of a fan trying to be a GM than a GM doing his job. But after so many years, you do learn to do the job you're doing, even if it's via a crash course and tossed-to-the-wolves hard learning. I mean, if you get hired to a job, you may not know how to do everything. But after 25 years, you damn sure know the gig and know it thoroughly.

While I get your point, I think an analogy just doesn't fit. A nurse is trained in her job, not a doctor's. And no one is expecting Jerry to coach. Only to do his job. In which he now has 25 years of experience. I want a nurse with 25 years of experience for sure, it is second nature to her after so long. Same with Jerry.

If Jerry was trying to coach and call plays, your analogy would be perfect. But in this situation, I think it's not really a good one. Though I do get your point. Jerry has no background in football prior to the last 25 years. But he now has a resume in football longer than many current GMs.
_________________
I'm a Cowboys fan who hates Cowboy fans.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Dirk Gently


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 6092
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:

And yes Dirk, I remember your post on the forum we used to run - you pushed for Chris Johnson over both of them, and pointed him out even before his speedy performance at the combine. Wink


I also advocated for this 2nd round WR named Nelson Smile
_________________
first-pick mock draft
Mack, OLB; Sutton, DT; Bailey, FS; Abbrederis, WR; Bitonio, OT; Halapio, OG; Easley, DT; Jean-Baptiste, CB; Murray, QB; Brown, OLB; McKinnon, RB; Saunders, WR; Hornsey, P
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheStarStillShines


Joined: 12 Oct 2004
Posts: 8520
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy_z34 wrote:
So you say you're only remembered for hoisting up the Lombardi but yet you give a pass to the Pats for not winning one since 04. So which is it??

The reason I said that at least the team has had a chance at the playoffs is because some of the forum members said the team doesn't get into the playoffs. I just explained that the team is on the fringe and is showing signs of improvement through drafting and continuity. It's only a matter of time before the team becomes annual playoff participants.

Since the 2005 season Dallas has been in contention for a playoff berth coming down to the last game of the season. In 2007 and 2009 they got in. 2010 was the only year they had no chance. So yes while the regular season records don't matter, not my words someone else's, they have been in contention. So while many of you, like the media, see a .500 record. I see contending for the playoffs year in and year out.


My point about the Pats is that they are perennial SB contenders, not just playoff contenders. So while they may not have won a SB in 10 years, they're always in a position to win one. I was also countering your point about the Pats, basically saying it was a poor one because the Boys don't come anywhere close to matching the Pats' record nor their status as SB contenders.

And my other point is that mediocrity shouldn't be accepted by any organization nor its fans, especially the Cowboys. This franchise has a long history of greatness. To accept mediocrity and use excuses like "we've been spoiled" is asinine in a results-driven business. The Cowboys should always be held to a higher standard, much like the Packers, Steelers, 49ers, Patriots - the marquee and most successful franchises in football. The Cowboys aren't the Bills, Vikings, Bengals, Jaguars, Cardinals, etc. This is suppose to be America's team, and that equates to success - or should anyway.

On your point about the team being in contention to get into the playoffs in the last week doesn't actually support your position. It does the exact opposite. To sneak into the playoffs at 9-7 or 8-8 doesn't show contention status at all - it just shows how mediocre the Boys and the NFC East have been the past three years. A SB contender shouldn't have to depend on a 9-7 or 8-8 record to get into the playoffs.

Maybe you're right that the Boys are close to being perennial playoff contenders, but I find that hard to believe since Romo is 34 years old and is coming off another back surgery. He's taken a beaten the past few years, and he's starting to wear down. Plus, there's no heir in place. Much of the core is also older. While the team has drafted better in the past 3-4 years (although 2012 looks poor right now), it needs more of their young guys to become high-end, impact players. Right now, you can point to Bryant and Smith as recent picks that fit this description. I would include Lee, but he's way too fragile. Ditto with Murray.

The Boys need drafts like the Seahawks, where in 3 consecutive drafts they landed several starters, many of the impact variety:
- 2010: Okung, Thomas, Tate, Chancellor, and Maxwell
- 2011: Carpenter, Wright, Sherman, and Smith (SB MVP)
- 2012: Irvin, Wagner, and Wilson

They also have a slew of their draft picks play important roles. If the Boys can replicate that success, they can accelerate the process while the window closes on Romo's chances. If not, it's going to be awfully difficult.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buddy_z34


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Posts: 16166
Location: San Antonio, Texas
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 2006, 6 teams have gone to the SuperBowl as a 5th or 6th seed. That's more than half. It shouldn't matter if you're sneaking into the playoffs or the #1 seed the point is having the chance. And as I've said the Boys have that chance year in and year out. There have only been a handful of teams who can factually say that.

The mediocre NFC East?? Only the AFC North has more SuperBowl victories. The AFC East has as many. The NFC North and West has as many SuperBowl appearances but not as many championships.

The 9ers have just started being relevant. The Steelers are on the decline. I think the Packers are in the same boat as the Boys right now, injuries have derailed their recent seasons. And as I've said the Pats haven't won in ten years and their window is closing faster than the Boys once Brady retires. But I'll argue that with that system it won't be hard to plug in a QB and still be consistent. (Cassell)
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
TheStarStillShines


Joined: 12 Oct 2004
Posts: 8520
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those #5 and #6 seeds had records of 11-5 and 10-6 and would have won most divisions. Those teams were significantly better than some of the division winners, who went 8-8 or 9-7. You can't just look at seeding to justify your point since division winners, regardless of record, are guaranteed a top-4 seed. This is something the NFL needs to change.

Also, if you would have read more carefully, I said the NFC East has been a mediocre division the past 3 years. When two teams at 8-7 are battling in the last week for the division title, that reflects a mediocre division. I wasn't referring to the entire history of the NFC East.

Obviously a lot of teams rise and fall. Then there are teams that just wallow in mediocrity, like the Bills, Titans, Jets, and the Cowboys. I hope better things will come sooner than later like all Boys' fans, but the recent and even long-term history (i.e., the past 17 years) have not provided much hope.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buddy_z34


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Posts: 16166
Location: San Antonio, Texas
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you I wish the Boys better luck in going to playoffs and winning more games but unlike the bottom feeders you mentioned, Jets, Vikings, Bills and Titans the Cowboys have for the last ten years have been in the playoff hunt. That's something you guys cannot overlook. No matter what the record says. Which is a reasoning for my arguing the Boys are competitive. Record wise it looks like they are mediocre. But factual proof shows they are playoff contenders most every year. Which seems like a positive year instead of the bottom feeders you guys suggest.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group