Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cap Situation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidderion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Cap Situation Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this was posted yet (didnt see it atleast) and was reading that our number for the cap space number this year is at about $25 million. Cutting Kolb would add like 2-3 more onto that number I believe and since it doesn't look like Byrd will no longer be with the team, it seems like we have some money to work with. Maybe a Dareus extention? Sign decent FA's like maybe a Michael Oher and/or Hakeem Nicks or something like that?

Having the larger part of Fitzpatrick's contract is already against us too. Which is a $7 million hit this season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dareus, A. Williams, and Freddy all need to be taken care of this year. I would play the wait and see game with Hughes, Searcy and Spiller.

Buffalo now can definitely go after some guys in free agents. I like the idea of Oher at RT. I would like to see us re-sign Chandler and bring in a veteran LB on the weakside to replace Moats.

Cordy Glenn could be up for an extension also.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the 8-9 million is off the table for Jairus Byrd, I hope we make a run at Lamarr Houston, Brandon Spikes, Hakeem Nicks or James Jones.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to make a splash somehow. I'd hate to have all that cap space and not bring in some meaningful players. I'd like to make a run at Michael Oher or Branden Albert. I'd also like to lock up Dareus and Aaron Williams long term so we don't have this must stress again next offseason.

thenewbuffalogm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I like the discussion, but Michael Other is terrible. That would be an awful signing.
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have over night almost completely changed my philosophy for this off-season.

I'd love to go after DE, CB, and LB in free agency and focus solely on the offense in the draft.

Guys like Corey Wootton, Arthur Jones, and Tyson Jackson intrigue me at DE. I want Corey Graham at CB and I'd love Spikes or Dunbar at LB.

The Bills could easily afford these guys and they have "value" just like Lawson and Branch last year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Bills&Year=2014

Found this website if anyone wants to check it out. The dead money we have is kind of shocking. And it all adds up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/03/11/bills-cap-room-less-than-previously-reported/

Quote:
Its always a moving target, but many projected the Bills salary cap room heading into free agency today would be in the upper 20′s in terms of millions. But the latest research from NFL Network indicates a much lower figure.

Not sure this really changes anything.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that is a mishap as the bills are around 22 million and this report has taken in account the williams signing bonus of 6 million which shouldnt be included. It is good to know that they are between 16- 22 million. Bills need to cut pears and kolb already. Also Im curious if bills cut stevie johnson as a post June 1st if this would change anything on cap space.

Thanks Max
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:
i think that is a mishap as the bills are around 22 million and this report has taken in account the williams signing bonus of 6 million which shouldnt be included. It is good to know that they are between 16- 22 million. Bills need to cut pears and kolb already. Also Im curious if bills cut stevie johnson as a post June 1st if this would change anything on cap space.

Even if it did, it would be so minimal. Analytically speaking, Stevie means more to this team on it then off it this year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want stevie to stay but at a financial standpoint is there any benefit to cutting him as a post June 1st. I know if they cut him now it will be $25k in savings but my point is if they cut him as a post june 1 would it be alot more money in cap savings because he is due 8.5 million next year. if they cut him will they save 3.5 million or would it be less then that?

Thanks Max
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:
I want stevie to stay but at a financial standpoint is there any benefit to cutting him as a post June 1st. I know if they cut him now it will be $25k in savings but my point is if they cut him as a post june 1 would it be alot more money in cap savings because he is due 8.5 million next year. if they cut him will they save 3.5 million or would it be less then that?

To be honest I never understand how the numbers work in cap. Based off of rotoworld Stevie has a 1.75 mil roster bonus due sometime this month. As well as a 275,000 workout bonus in years 2-5 of his contract (going in to year 3 of a 5 year deal).

His base salary for this year is 3.65 mil.

Date: http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/buf/bills

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Bills

This link provides access to play around with roster cuts like that.

According to this site if they made Stevie Johnson a post June 1 cut it would save $5.675M and create $2.825 in dead cap money. Keep in mind, I believe the cap savings still wouldn't be recognized until after June 1.

As you said above if they were to cut SJ now if would only be a $25K cap savings and still cost them $8.475M in dead cap money. Clearly that is not an option at all.
cdavls17

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trent I agree it gets confusing. As for bonuses i think the bills have kolb and pears bonuses are suppose to be made tomorrow and Stevie's is on Saturday.

Thanks Max

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: