Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns place Transition tag on C Alex Mack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BooyaCS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
BooyaCS wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
BooyaCS wrote:

I see his agent trying to go for a 6 year 60M contract with 30-40 M guarenteed within the first 2-3 years (basically causing his cap number to be 20M for the team that signs him).

Basically an offer that, if we match, we are in cap purgatory.

Given that we have among the top amounts in cap space, what team could possibly do that? Oakland?

Oakland and possibly Tampa (with that being the only FA that Tampa signs).

I can't imagine a team breaking their cap for Alex Mack. Would surely make our front office look bad though.

Especially if ward also leaves and we dont get Byrd

It would be a short term PR hit. If we win some games no one will care in the long run.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BooyaCS wrote:
It would be a short term PR hit. If we win some games no one will care in the long run.

It would be hard for me to believe we will be better without Ward, Byrd and Mack

Losing Mack for nothing isn't just bad in terms of adding talent to the team, its bad in terms of playing the system. Had he walked and we let him go, we'd at least get compensatory consideration. If we lose him to a ridiculous contract that we dont match we get nothing- unless I am mistaken
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
BooyaCS wrote:

It would be hard for me to believe we will be better without Ward, Byrd and Mack

Losing Mack for nothing isn't just bad in terms of adding talent to the team, its bad in terms of playing the system. Had he walked and we let him go, we'd at least get compensatory consideration. If we lose him to a ridiculous contract that we dont match we get nothing- unless I am mistaken

Should have franchised him. If he doesn't want to be here then screw him.

Really hoping he didn't Boozer us.

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig
Tully305

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh..talk of Baltimore making play for Mack
buno67

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tully305 wrote:
ugh..talk of Baltimore making play for Mack

Its ok, I would like to see Taylor eat him up than! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
BooyaCS wrote:

Compensatory picks mean you lost a player and didn't sign a player of the same quality back.

Also the poison pill rules have to apply to every team.

So a contract that is completely guarenteed but the player is waived after year 2 if you don't make the playoffs is completely feasable.

Or a contract that states if you lose more than 6 games in a season then the entire contract is guaranteed.

Or if you don't make the playoffs in the first 2 season then the entire contract is guarenteed are all within the realm of possibility

Each of them destroys your cap and option 1 and 3 mean you are on the hook for the entire contract if you don't make the playoffs and the player, in option 1, is released on a fully guarenteed contract.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BooyaCS wrote:

Compensatory picks mean you lost a player and didn't sign a player of the same quality back.

I know. But the question is does that apply to players tagged but lost (like RFA's for example)

Quote:
Each of them destroys your cap and option 1 and 3 mean you are on the hook for the entire contract if you don't make the playoffs and the player, in option 1, is released on a fully guarenteed contract.

Sure, but what team is going to risk doing that to themselves? In the old case, where a pill could be designed specifically to ruin the team with the player, now its an equal opportunity wrecking ball. Do you think there is a GM out there willing to risk eating 60M guaranteed money because they miss the playoffs by a game? For a Center no less?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: