Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns place Transition tag on C Alex Mack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BwickBrownie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
BwickBrownie wrote:
Quote:
"With a player of Alex's caliber, we're very confident that other teams will want to speak with him,'' said Tim Younger, one of Mack's agents along with lead representative Marvin Demoff. "It's an opportunity for Alex to look around, and he plans on taking advantage of that.''

Younger stressed that Demoff is very skilled in these type of negotiations, and will work hard to find the best deal for his client. The Browns will have five days to match the offer, but Demoff, a longtime super-agent, has enough expertise to make it difficult for the Browns to match.

"We're soon going to find out what's out there, but we're optimistic the interest will be there,'' Younger said.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/03/cleveland_browns_alex_macks_ag.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Is anyone else getting a really foreboding feeling that Mack will not be a Cleveland Brown at the start of the season? I know the use of the transition tag was probably to goad a team into offering a contract to Mack so the Browns can swoop in and sign him to the same deal... but I feel like it's just opened the doors for a team to sign him to a contract the Browns won't want to offer and they won't get anything in return. If this happens, unless it comes out Mack just refused to come back to the Browns no matter what, it's going to be tough to have confidence in Farmer moving forward.

How could you possibly blame Farmer?

Its not his fault Mack is sour towards the previous FO or that Mack wants to see how much money he can get.

I agree with what you said, and as I've mentioned in other threads, I would still put most of the blame in Banner's lap... I would just be disappointed with all this cap space, a personal visit from the head-coach & OC, and publicly stating re-signing him is priority #1 that a good enough offer wasn't made that he still walked. I know a lot of other teams' GMs would probably not be able to get Mack resigned either, but I just wish that our GM was better than a lot of other teams' GMs. Also, with all the turnover that happens year after year, I think a lot of Browns fans use the crutch of saying "Well the last guy put them in this hole, so can you really blame them?"... sure, Farmer is inheriting a mess, but if he didn't think he could handle it to re-sign someone who is in the argument for best center in the game, then he apparently bit off more than he can chew.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:

How could you possibly blame Farmer?

Its not his fault Mack is sour towards the previous FO or that Mack wants to see how much money he can get.

You could blame him for using the transition and not the franchise
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BwickBrownie wrote:
Quote:
"With a player of Alex's caliber, we're very confident that other teams will want to speak with him,'' said Tim Younger, one of Mack's agents along with lead representative Marvin Demoff. "It's an opportunity for Alex to look around, and he plans on taking advantage of that.''

Younger stressed that Demoff is very skilled in these type of negotiations, and will work hard to find the best deal for his client. The Browns will have five days to match the offer, but Demoff, a longtime super-agent, has enough expertise to make it difficult for the Browns to match.

"We're soon going to find out what's out there, but we're optimistic the interest will be there,'' Younger said.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/03/cleveland_browns_alex_macks_ag.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Is anyone else getting a really foreboding feeling that Mack will not be a Cleveland Brown at the start of the season? I know the use of the transition tag was probably to goad a team into offering a contract to Mack so the Browns can swoop in and sign him to the same deal... but I feel like it's just opened the doors for a team to sign him to a contract the Browns won't want to offer and they won't get anything in return. If this happens, unless it comes out Mack just refused to come back to the Browns no matter what, it's going to be tough to have confidence in Farmer moving forward.

no, but im worried about ward.
64 CHAMPS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mACKS AGENT WAS JUST QUOTED BY pETER kING AS SAYING HE'S CONFIDENT HE CAN STRUCTURE A NEW DEAL WITH ANOTHER CLUB THAT THE bROWNS WONT MATCH... mACK WANTS OUT...

FootballsFuture Cleveland Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2010
64 CHAMPS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing · 27m
Agent for transition-tagged Cle C Alex Mack tells me he's "confident" he can structure pact w/a "reasonable likelihood" Browns won't match

FootballsFuture Cleveland Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2010
FLAbrownfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ughhhhhh, ok im going to be off this for a while, I will be way to pissed off if we lose mack and ward- I will say some ban worthy quotes i feel.... so good bye all untill thursday or so Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

R.I.P Crackburn, always in our hearts
adopt a Brown: Davone Bess - The best- one catch, one first down--- never mind person foul takes away! arrghhh Reg on the SIG
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

64 CHAMPS wrote:
Agent for transition-tagged Cle C Alex Mack tells me he's "confident" he can structure pact w/a "reasonable likelihood" Browns won't match

Yeah I just heard that. The only FA I'd hate if he left. I'm usually a fan of centers.

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig
Casimir Pulaski

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonanza23 wrote:
64 CHAMPS wrote:

Yeah I just heard that. The only FA I'd hate if he left. I'm usually a fan of centers.

Good ole Petey Pants back-tracked from that statement in his next few tweets though. Saying that a deal isn't done, nor is an offer likely, just that in order to make $$ with the transition tag you need to get an offer.. That Browns could and probably would match.

I can't paste easily with my iPad; it's all there on twitter. Honest
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poison pills are illegal, so technically no there's nothing we can't match
Tully305

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to bite the bullet and make Mack the highest paid Center in the league. We should look at it as the price to pay for having those idiots in charge last year.
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casimir Pulaski wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:
64 CHAMPS wrote:

Good ole Petey Pants back-tracked from that statement in his next few tweets though. Saying that a deal isn't done, nor is an offer likely, just that in order to make $$ with the transition tag you need to get an offer.. That Browns could and probably would match.

I can't paste easily with my iPad; it's all there on twitter. Honest

Thank you.

And I believe you, no source needed.

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig
skov20

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the agent is going to make the contract hard for the Browns too match doesn't it make sense that the contract shouldn't be too good for the team that signs him.
candyman93

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

64 CHAMPS wrote:

I see an agent that has to figure out a way of getting other teams to bother putting in offers otherwise he has absolutely ZERO leverage in negotiations, whether Mack is All-Pro or not.

Let's calm down people.

You've been here 7 and still haven't picked a team.
BooyaCS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:

There are a few. The poison pills like playing 4 games in cleveland is illegal. However you can still structure incentives. IE if he plays 10 games in year 1 then all 60M is guarenteed (which destroys someones cap).
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BooyaCS wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:

There are a few. The poison pills like playing 4 games in cleveland is illegal. However you can still structure incentives. IE if he plays 10 games in year 1 then all 60M is guarenteed (which destroys someones cap).

Sure, but the team writing the contract would have to eat that same 60 Million, so that's practically impossible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: