Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins set to tag Orakpo if no deal is done
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
All you've done is made the argument we have TWO average OLB's .. Crying or Very sad
Jason Reid agrees if was a mistake ..He flat out says Bruce Allen whiffed in his first at bat,,I agree 100%
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/awarding-franchise-tag-to-brian-orakpo-is-the-wrong-move-for-the-redskins/2014/03/03/2e889204-a30c-11e3-8466-d34c451760b9_story.html
Jason Reid isn't the smartest man in the world.

Guys like him say dump Rak but then they have no options for replacing him but "the very average" -Rob Jackson, a high draft pick (when we have bigger needs, no need to create another hole on a team full of them) or Brandon Brandon Jenkins who has 1 tackle in his NFL career.

Dumping Rak would have created a huge hole on our defense, equivalent to the size of cutting Trent Williams.

Cooley said sign Everson Griffen - who doesn't fit our scheme - but he just re-signed with the Vikings. He's only started every 1 game in his career, never got over 8 sacks (2012), so he isn't even as good as Ryan Kerrigan!

His contract was 5 years, 42.5 million & 20 million in guarantees!

He's never had a season close to Rak, he's a career Back up!

Meaning, if you're going to sign our pro bowl OLB long term is going to be closer to a 5 year, 50 or 60 million dollar deal with 25 million in guarantees.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
zeebs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
All you've done is made the argument we have TWO average OLB's .. Crying or Very sad
Jason Reid agrees if was a mistake ..He flat out says Bruce Allen whiffed in his first at bat,,I agree 100%
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/awarding-franchise-tag-to-brian-orakpo-is-the-wrong-move-for-the-redskins/2014/03/03/2e889204-a30c-11e3-8466-d34c451760b9_story.html

Guys like him say dump Rak but then they have no options for replacing him but "the very average" -Rob Jackson, a high draft pick (when we have bigger needs, no need to create another hole on a team full of them) or Brandon Brandon Jenkins who has 1 tackle in his NFL career.

Dumping Rak would have created a huge hole on our defense, equivalent to the size of cutting Trent Williams.

Cooley said sign Everson Griffen - who doesn't fit our scheme - but he just re-signed with the Vikings. He's only started every 1 game in his career, never got over 8 sacks (2012), so he isn't even as good as Ryan Kerrigan!

Meaning, if you're going to sign our pro bowl OLB long term is going to be closer to a 5 year, 50 or 60 million dollar deal with 25 million in guarantees.

I agree 150%.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeebs wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

I agree 150%.
Yeah, I mean Redskins fans and media who undervalue and under appreciate Rak don't want to hear what his true market is as a top 10 pass rusher, but that's what his fair market value is.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
zeebs wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

I agree 150%.
Yeah, I mean Redskins fans and media who undervalue and under appreciate Rak don't want to hear what his true market is as a top 10 pass rusher, but that's what his fair market value is.

Top 10 pass rusher .. Where 's that coming from ??..He tied for 20-24 with 5 other guys having 10 sacks.!
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
zeebs wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

I agree 150%.

This is what I've been saying. Rak is gonna get paid whether we do it or not. Because if you let him go, you need to replace him. And when you replace him, you'd better be doing it with a first round pick. We don't have that this year. Far better to franchise him for this year...then try to draft a guy this year who could replace him this year (or at the very least be good depth). And then next year, if we want to let him walk then we draft a guy in the 1rst to replace him.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
zeebs wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

I agree 150%.

This is what I've been saying. Rak is gonna get paid whether we do it or not. Because if you let him go, you need to replace him. And when you replace him, you'd better be doing it with a first round pick. We don't have that this year. Far better to franchise him for this year...then try to draft a guy this year who could replace him this year (or at the very least be good depth). And then next year, if we want to let him walk then we draft a guy in the 1rst to replace him.
I could live with that, but we'd still be creating a unnecessary hole on our defense when we could just Re-sign Rak or franchise him again next year and sign a different position to make our "overall team" better without creating an unnecessary hole

Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
zeebs wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

I agree 150%.

I could live with that, but we'd still be creating a unnecessary hole on our defense when we could just Re-sign Rak or franchise him again next year and sign a different position to make our "overall team" better without creating an unnecessary hole

I'm good with franchising him or signing him long term too. I just don't think you replace a passrusher like him in the same offseason where you don't have a first rounder. Its like shooting holes in the bottom of your boat.

turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
zeebs wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

I agree 150%.

Top 10 pass rusher .. Where 's that coming from ??..He tied for 20-24 with 5 other guys having 10 sacks.!
Its not all about sacks. He constantly got pressure on the Qb, he also only played in 14.5 games because of the groin injury. He may have had another sack or 2 if he played every down - which he may have in a meaningful season.

And who are these players and how many of them were available in free agency?

I can only think of 1 and he was franchised by his team - Greg Hardy.

So you dump Rak and you're creating a huge hole on our defense and looking at replacing him with our #34 pick who gives us what? 7/8 sacks at most? Most likely, 5 or less as a rookie 2nd round pick.

Rob Jackson who's career year was 5 sacks? And has backed up Rak since 09 because he's not as good a pass rusher...

Let's face it! You and people like Cooley & Reid don't have a definitive answer for replacing Orakpo if he's gone. Since that's the case, you keep him!

Just stop! It doesn't make sense to let your best pass rusher go in free agency and it frankly never does! That's why they rarely become free agents, just like franchise qbs and franchise left tackles never become free agents - there are reasons for this.

RSkinGM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yankess aren't replacing Cano one for one .. They have a "fill -in" second baseman now and 3 VERY GOOD starters using his savings .. Orakpo doesn't have to be replaced one for one .. It's 11 guys on Defense..
Also I read sacks drop dramatically once a player reaches age 28.. And, you have to beware of a player in a contract year coming off a good stretch,, ( 7 sacks second half )., Never pay a B player A money ..
All in this EXCELLENT article that argues both ways and says nothing definitive to support either side .. Laughing

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1983648-is-brian-orakpo-worth-a-massive-contract-from-washington
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
The Yankess aren't replacing Cano one for one .. They have a "fill -in" second baseman now and 3 VERY GOOD starters using his savings .. Orakpo doesn't have to be replaced one for one .. It's 11 guys on Defense..
Also I read sacks drop dramatically once a player reaches age 28.. And, you have to beware of a player in a contract year coming off a good stretch,, ( 7 sacks second half )., Never pay a B player A money ..
All in this EXCELLENT article that argues both ways and says nothing definitive to support either side .. Laughing

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1983648-is-brian-orakpo-worth-a-massive-contract-from-washington

Remind me...how high is the salary cap in baseball? Wink

RSkinGM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Much higher than smart management on the Redskins.. Both sides here are dug in -- we'll just have to let it play out..
AND ,,he hasn't signed the tender --The Tag could be dropped .. Dancing
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Much higher than smart management on the Redskins.. Both sides here are dug in here-- we'll just have to let it play out..

The correct answer is...

There isn't a salary cap in baseball.

Therefore the Yankees could pursue the strategy of replacing the production of one player with 3-4 players. We can't do that in the NFL when you only have 53 spots on the active roster and your salary cap is finite.

MKnight82

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Much higher than smart management on the Redskins.. Both sides here are dug in -- we'll just have to let it play out..
Why in the world would we drop the tag?

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 46 tackles, 9 PD, 2 FF, 2 TFL, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 36 catches, 377 rec yards
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Why in the world would we drop the tag?

Because we used the window to sign him to a reasonable long term deal,,and it didn't happen.. Why hasn't he signed the tender?
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Much higher than smart management on the Redskins.. Both sides here are dug in here-- we'll just have to let it play out..

The correct answer is...

There isn't a salary cap in baseball.

Therefore the Yankees could pursue the strategy of replacing the production of one player with 3-4 players. We can't do that in the NFL when you only have 53 spots on the active roster and your salary cap is finite.

Jeez man,, I KNOW there isn't a cap in baseball ..That's not the point. There point is they were smart not to overpay a 31 y o guy $240 mill for 10 years and they had a lot of needs.. so they used the money to sign 3 players ..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: