Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins set to tag Orakpo if no deal is done
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TruSkinsFan wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
Let's see... Think We had to replace him in 2012,,,How'd that work out --Oh yeah,,Division Championship !!! Dancing OH OH,,but that was lightning in a bottle -- I forgot ..

Okay true, but he still produced after coming off his season ending injury which lead him to a pro bowl and in 2012 it wasn't the defense doing the most work thanks to RG3, Alfred Morris and P.G. The offense was ranked 5th in total offense and the defense was ranked 28th so whats so great about that defense then the defense we had now??? They still suck with or without him, difference is he is the best player we have now and it would not make sense to let you best player go!

When Rak is YOUR BEST PLAYER,,sorry, but it's OK to let him go.. You don't have to replace him with one guy .! Sign Rob Jackson and TWO good inside backers ,, or a safety and a LB.. For the money we're paying him ,, we could have maybe 3 solid starters.
Seattles top defensive player made $7 mill,, and the top sacker had 8.5..Number one D
TruSkinsFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
TruSkinsFan wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
Let's see... Think We had to replace him in 2012,,,How'd that work out --Oh yeah,,Division Championship !!! Dancing OH OH,,but that was lightning in a bottle -- I forgot ..

Okay true, but he still produced after coming off his season ending injury which lead him to a pro bowl and in 2012 it wasn't the defense doing the most work thanks to RG3, Alfred Morris and P.G. The offense was ranked 5th in total offense and the defense was ranked 28th so whats so great about that defense then the defense we had now??? They still suck with or without him, difference is he is the best player we have now and it would not make sense to let you best player go!

When Rak is YOUR BEST PLAYER,,sorry, but it's OK to let him go.. You don't have to replace him with one guy .! Sign Rob Jackson and TWO good inside backers ,, or a safety and a LB.. For the money we're paying him ,, we could have 3 , maybe 4 solid starters.
Seattles top defensive player made $7 mill,, and the top sacker had 8.5..Number one

So been a 3 time pro bowler since LaVar Arrington is not a candidate as the best player on the defense??? And with a defense that had overpaid player and overrated players who also didn't live up to any ones expectation. And now you want Robert Jackson one year one hit wonder as a start??!! One season is not going to cut it, there's a reason why he is a backup and not a starter. Boy I'm glad you are not the Skins GM or HC lol Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TruSkinsFan wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
TruSkinsFan wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

When Rak is YOUR BEST PLAYER,,sorry, but it's OK to let him go.. You don't have to replace him with one guy .! Sign Rob Jackson and TWO good inside backers ,, or a safety and a LB.. For the money we're paying him ,, we could have 3 , maybe 4 solid starters.
Seattles top defensive player made $7 mill,, and the top sacker had 8.5..Number one

So been a 3 time pro bowler since LaVar Arrington is not a candidate as the best player on the defense??? And with a defense that had overpaid player and overrated players who also didn't live up to any ones expectation. And now you want Robert Jackson one year one hit wonder as a start??!! One season is not going to cut it, there's a reason why he is a backup and not a starter. Boy I'm glad you are not the Skins GM or HC lol Laughing Laughing
If Rdskingm was our GM, we would have cut rg3 and not kept Rak.

Rob Jackson and Cousins would be our guys going forward because the back up is always the best player on the team in his eyes. Been that was since I can remember.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dashing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt care if orakpo was back but he did improve and this year with some better DL and better coverage our D might be top 15 atleast considering a heavy blitzing D will happen.
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
TruSkinsFan wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
TruSkinsFan wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Rob Jackson and Cousins would be our guys going forward because the back up is always the best player on the team in his eyes. Been that was since I can remember.

Aren't we suppose to discuss the TEAM and not the POSTER ???
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
TruSkinsFan wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
TruSkinsFan wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Agreed.

Turtle? Cut it out.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
TruSkinsFan wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
TruSkinsFan wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Yes. You're right. I should have said "some in redskins nation"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
When Rak is YOUR BEST PLAYER,,sorry, but it's OK to let him go.. You don't have to replace him with one guy .! Sign Rob Jackson and TWO good inside backers ,, or a safety and a LB.. For the money we're paying him ,, we could have maybe 3 solid starters.
Seattles top defensive player made $7 mill,, and the top sacker had 8.5..Number one D

And watch what happens to all of those players in the next two to three years. They either won't stay in Seattle or the prices will go up. They've got an incredibly young team that are mostly on rookie contracts. That's going to change real quick.
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

And watch what happens to all of those players in the next two to three years. They either won't stay in Seattle or the prices will go up. They've got an incredibly young team that are mostly on rookie contracts. That's going to change real quick.

Maybe ,, but good management will just let 'em walk and replace then with more young guys. That separates the best from the rest .. They won't be signing Orakpo level talent for big bucks.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Woz wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Maybe ,, but good management will just let 'em walk and replace then with more young guys. That separates the best from the rest .. They won't be signing Orakpo level talent for big bucks.

Ask the Steelers how that's gone with the offensive line. Or the Ravens with their wide receiving corps. Those are two franchises that have really good reputations for player management. It's not as easy as you think.

Seriously, what's the panic about the franchise tag? If he doesn't sign a new deal, he plays under the tag. If he plays well, he gets a new contract. If he doesn't, he walks out the door. Is it solely because they might sign him for long term?
aceinthehouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turtle is defending Orakpo & I admire that.

Unfortunately, even if Turtle is right & Orakpo is Derrick Thomas, Lawrence Taylor & Reggie White, Green Lantern & Superman X 100. Does it really matter...?

Haslett is still his Defensive Coordinator.

I like Orakpo & hope Turtle is right.
But Orakpo has never proven more to me, than being a pretty good pass rusher with limited moves, ok against the run and abysmal vs the pass.

Now, maybe I'm wrong & need to watch more tape, but it's my current impression of him now.
I would LOVE for that to change & eat a lot of crow on that perception.

At the moment, i don't really care what we do with him or decision we make on him.

If we keep him, we keep a drafted Redskin for another year & proves he's not injury prone, which I failed to mention earlier. Blows up & gets his monster contract from us. Or he signs elsewhere and we net a 3rd rd pick.

Which is not a terrible way to go.

Or....

You trade him now & get a possible 1st rd pick in a draft perceived as deep with talent.
And to help this new coaching regime net a possible starter in the 1st rd. (maybe you can get more than a 1st rounder??) I mean, he is coming off a Pro Bowl season.

Now the question is?
What do you do, because there is risk involved with either decision.

If you keep him & he struggles on his 1 yr deal.
Maybe the team lets him go?
Maybe we re-sign him, but will he lower his demands on price? Could he cost even more than what he wanted this season before the TAG of the Salary Cap jumps.?
Maybe we do let him go & he signs elsewhere for a modest contract and we get little to zero compensation?
Or maybe he simply wants to play for a winner cause we suck for a 2nd straight yr & he decides to test the market at then...the age of 28? Again...zero compensation.

I get those wanting to keep him.
I truly do.
He's a core Redskin

But what if I told you...
That we would absolutely suck Donkey stuffing next yr on Defense...Again.
Because Haslett was still here. Even with Orakpo here. Whether he had a good or bad year.

And what if i also told you, that this was, is and will be the only time ever you will net a 1st round selection for Orakpo? After this yr, his value will just drop. (for whatever reason. injuries, bad play, etc)

And what if i also told you, that pick would be a top 16 pick?
(This is all hypothetical...of course....but something you ALLLLLLL need to think about)

A)Would you keep him anyways.
Hoping he eventually becomes our captain of the D, even if success doesn't happen till he hits his 30's, while Haslett is still his Defensive Coach or we move on to another Defensive Coordinator..eventually? Hopefully

Or...

B)Would you trade him now while his value is high & the FA market is LOW, to help out the *new* Head Coach add weapons to the team, as well as a Franchise QB who sorely needs weapons on Offense & a team that needs serious talent & depth all around.(O-Line--WR's).

Like I said earlier in my post.
I won't be upset with either decision. Brian Orakpo is a true Redskin & I can certainly understand keeping him.

Unfortunately, I think option A) is & will be a mistake.

I'm a Washington Redskins fan.
Not just an Brian Orakpo fan.

I think Option B)is the better long term answer for the team & it's future.
(Providing we can get at LEAST a 1st for RAK or more)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
Woz wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Ask the Steelers how that's gone with the offensive line. Or the Ravens with their wide receiving corps. Those are two franchises that have really good reputations for player management. It's not as easy as you think.

Seriously, what's the panic about the franchise tag? If he doesn't sign a new deal, he plays under the tag. If he plays well, he gets a new contract. If he doesn't, he walks out the door. Is it solely because they might sign him for long term?

No, I see no way he signs long term contract because he thinks he's worth $13+ million.. I simply think he's a slightly better than average player and we have so many needs to fill..It's lot of cap space. I'd like to see that money used for more players.
I'd be fine with Rob Jackson and B Jenkins holding the fort for a season.
Like ACE said ,,I hope Rak has a great year and I'd like a little salt with that crow.. BTW-- I posted his stats from last year. ..Nobody commented.. If you just saw the stats and didn't know it was Rak.. -Wouldn't you go , ehh, average player ?
I equate it to the Yankees situation ..Cano--They CLEARLY had the best 2nd baseman in all of baseball,,but rather than overpay, they let him walk. THEN, they signed a Center Fielder, a Catcher and a Right Fielder..They had/ have a lot of needs.. I think they made the right move.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceinthehouse wrote:
Turtle is defending Orakpo & I admire that.

Unfortunately, even if Turtle is right & Orakpo is Derrick Thomas, Lawrence Taylor & Reggie White, Green Lantern & Superman X 100. Does it really matter...?

Haslett is still his Defensive Coordinator.

I like Orakpo & hope Turtle is right.
But Orakpo has never proven more to me, than being a pretty good pass rusher with limited moves, ok against the run and abysmal vs the pass.

Now, maybe I'm wrong & need to watch more tape, but it's my current impression of him now.

I would LOVE for that to change & eat a lot of crow on that perception.

At the moment, i don't really care what we do with him or decision we make on him.

If we keep him, we keep a drafted Redskin for another year & proves he's not injury prone, which I failed to mention earlier. Blows up & gets his monster contract from us. Or he signs elsewhere and we net a 3rd rd pick.

Which is not a terrible way to go.

Or....

You trade him now & get a possible 1st rd pick in a draft perceived as deep with talent.
And to help this new coaching regime net a possible starter in the 1st rd. (maybe you can get more than a 1st rounder??) I mean, he is coming off a Pro Bowl season.

Now the question is?
What do you do, because there is risk involved with either decision.

If you keep him & he struggles on his 1 yr deal.
Maybe the team lets him go?
Maybe we re-sign him, but will he lower his demands on price? Could he cost even more than what he wanted this season before the TAG of the Salary Cap jumps.?
Maybe we do let him go & he signs elsewhere for a modest contract and we get little to zero compensation?
Or maybe he simply wants to play for a winner cause we suck for a 2nd straight yr & he decides to test the market at then...the age of 28? Again...zero compensation.

I get those wanting to keep him.
I truly do.
He's a core Redskin

But what if I told you...
That we would absolutely suck Donkey stuffing next yr on Defense...Again.
Because Haslett was still here. Even with Orakpo here. Whether he had a good or bad year.

And what if i also told you, that this was, is and will be the only time ever you will net a 1st round selection for Orakpo? After this yr, his value will just drop. (for whatever reason. injuries, bad play, etc)

And what if i also told you, that pick would be a top 16 pick?
(This is all hypothetical...of course....but something you ALLLLLLL need to think about)

A)Would you keep him anyways.
Hoping he eventually becomes our captain of the D, even if success doesn't happen till he hits his 30's, while Haslett is still his Defensive Coach or we move on to another Defensive Coordinator..eventually? Hopefully

Or...

B)Would you trade him now while his value is high & the FA market is LOW, to help out the *new* Head Coach add weapons to the team, as well as a Franchise QB who sorely needs weapons on Offense & a team that needs serious talent & depth all around.(O-Line--WR's).

Like I said earlier in my post.
I won't be upset with either decision. Brian Orakpo is a true Redskin & I can certainly understand keeping him.

Unfortunately, I think option A) is & will be a mistake.

I'm a Washington Redskins fan.
Not just an Brian Orakpo fan.

I think Option B)is the better long term answer for the team & it's future.
(Providing we can get at LEAST a 1st for RAK or more)
1. Orakpo is not injury prone. He got one major injury in his 5 year career that cost him to miss 16 games. Just remember, he tore the same pec muscle twice because he rushed it back to fast and it wasn't 100% healed in 2012. I think he should have taken the preseason off in 2012 and probably the first month of the 2012 season also.

2. Orakpo has been the teams best pass rusher since Charles Mann left for SF 20 years ago.

I really don't understand how people won't acknowledge this or why people think players like him grow on Trees....

Ryan Kerrigan has gone up against Right Tackles 99% of the time in his first three years in the NFL. These players are never their teams best Offensive lineman. They are usually their 2nd or even sometimes worst offensive lineman.

I don't want to put down kerrigan, but he's the best example, since he and Rak face the same opponents.

Ryan Kerrigan through 3 years of being blocked by average OL - 24.5 sacks

Orakpo through three years going up against the best offensive lineman in the NFL and double teams - 28.5 sacks!

It's not even close! 4 more sacks for Orakpo against better competition in their first 3 seasons in the NFL.

Brian Orakpo's worst pass rushing seasons in the NFL are Ryan Kerrigan's peak.

And we think we don't need this player?

Like it or NOT the Franchise Tag is Brian Orakpo's market value. That's what you have to pay for a guy who's been within a sack and a half or better of 10 sacks in every single year in the NFL that he's been healthy.

And for those who are complaing because we're keeping our best pass rusher in the last 20 years and the only pass rusher we've had in 20 years to go get 10 or more sacks twice in that time period, but then what to say we need build the front 7 before building the secondary and say we should have given Rak's franchise money to "Mr. Wildcard" off the field Aquib Talib... You all can just stop! Evil or Very Mad d'oh! Speak to the hand Silenced
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you've done is made the argument we have TWO average OLB's .. Crying or Very sad
Jason Reid agrees if was a mistake ..He flat out says Bruce Allen whiffed in his first at bat,,I agree 100%
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/awarding-franchise-tag-to-brian-orakpo-is-the-wrong-move-for-the-redskins/2014/03/03/2e889204-a30c-11e3-8466-d34c451760b9_story.html
zeebs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/03/07/brian-orakpo-says-hell-be-unleashed-in-2014/

Nice article on Orakpo.

I think we can all agree here that Orakpo talent's have been hindered here in DC due to the inflexibility from Shanahan's system.

This certainly makes me feel a lot more optimistic signing Orakpo but we'll have to wait and see

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: