Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brandin Cooks Vs. OBJ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobby816

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think OBJ ANC Cooks are better than Lee. But I do still think Watkins, Evans and Matthews are better than them. I prefer OBJ bc although he's under 6' he's physical and plays bigger than Cooks.
jetskid007

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
I definitely think OBJ ANC Cooks are better than Lee. But I do still think Watkins, Evans and Matthews are better than them. I prefer OBJ bc although he's under 6' he's physical and plays bigger than Cooks.

There's no doubting that Watkins is hands-down the best receiver in this class. After him I believe it's debatable. It really depends on your scheme and what kind of traits you look for.

In our particular timing offense I think Beckham, Cooks, Lee fit better than Evans. That's not to say that I don't view Evans as a better prospect, but he wouldn't be nearly as effective early on as the other 3 would. I were a team like St. Louis and Sammy Watkins weren't on the board (trade-down scenario) I'm taking Evans because he fits their Air Coryell "play action" offense perfectly.

I like Matthews, but just because he tested well doesn't mean he possesses difference-making athleticism. If we already had an offensive weapon that "scared" defenses, I'd say drafting Matthews 18th would be a good idea. Our problem is that we don't have a game-breaking talent, and despite their flaws (more so pertaining to Lee, who's "flaws" I believe are correctable), Beckham, Cooks, and Lee are more effective options IMO.
Heymangold

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

There's no doubting that Watkins is hands-down the best receiver in this class. After him I believe it's debatable. It really depends on your scheme and what kind of traits you look for.

In our particular timing offense I think Beckham, Cooks, Lee fit better than Evans. That's not to say that I don't view Evans as a better prospect, but he wouldn't be nearly as effective early on as the other 3 would. I were a team like St. Louis and Sammy Watkins weren't on the board (trade-down scenario) I'm taking Evans because he fits their Air Coryell "play action" offense perfectly.

I like Matthews, but just because he tested well doesn't mean he possesses difference-making athleticism. If we already had an offensive weapon that "scared" defenses, I'd say drafting Matthews 18th would be a good idea. Our problem is that we don't have a game-breaking talent, and despite their flaws (more so pertaining to Lee, who's "flaws" I believe are correctable), Beckham, Cooks, and Lee are more effective options IMO.

you must not have seen much tape of Matthews at Vandy. He was a complete difference maker there. The game against Ole Miss was bascailly him vs their whole team. the kid set the record for receptions and yards in the SEC. those are GREAT defenses he's been playing against for 4 years. plus, he's related to Jerry Rice, so he's got the lineage!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heymangold wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

you must not have seen much tape of Matthews at Vandy. He was a complete difference maker there. The game against Ole Miss was bascailly him vs their whole team. the kid set the record for receptions and yards in the SEC. those are GREAT defenses he's been playing against for 4 years. plus, he's related to Jerry Rice, so he's got the lineage!

I was watching. When you watch the tape did you see a guy that possessed breakaway speed, plus-agility and plus-athleticism?

I see someone who fit in a scheme really well and took advantage of college defenses who had difficulties defending screens and matching up with Matthews in the slot. I also feel like Matthews (credit to him) benefitted by being more polished with his route running. I just don't see the elusiveness or quickness you see out of some of the other receivers. That doesn't make Matthews a worse prospect, but if your looking for a guy who can infuse fear into a defense any given play, it wouldn't be Matthews as much as it would be Beckham.
skrILL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
Heymangold wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

I was watching. When you watch the tape did you see a guy that possessed breakaway speed, plus-agility and plus-athleticism?

I see someone who fit in a scheme really well and took advantage of college defenses who had difficulties defending screens and matching up with Matthews in the slot. I also feel like Matthews (credit to him) benefitted by being more polished with his route running. I just don't see the elusiveness or quickness you see out of some of the other receivers. That doesn't make Matthews a worse prospect, but if your looking for a guy who can infuse fear into a defense any given play, it wouldn't be Matthews as much as it would be Beckham.

I feel the exact same way.

N E W Y O R K J E T S
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthews game isn't an elusive burner type WR he's a polished WR that does everything well. I've compared him to Jordy Nelson and that comparison is right on. Nelson isn't elusive or a burner, yet he's a great WR. I think that's what you get with Matthews. Watkins is the closest thing to a sure thing in this draft. But I think Matthews is 2nd to him. IMO Evans, Lee, OBJ and Vooks all have bigger holes in their games.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it came to Matthews, I didn't care he matched up vs SEC teams. I was impressed that teams tried doubling him or leaving a safety over the top, and still couldn't stop him. I can't help but to imagine how his numbers would have been if he had a good enough QB. Same exact thing I said about Keenan Allen before his draft. Dude is going to be a playmaker.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Odell more because hes bigger. He also has large hands and fights for the ball. Hes also fast and explosive. I like Odell on the outside, which would fit this offense very well.

I'm leaning towards wanting Beckham round 1. Though if we can get Mike Evans, that would change my mind because he would give us that big target on the outside and most elite WRs are over 6'3.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more. If Matthews isn't "that" good, then why couldn't SEC defenses stop him? Especially when he was the only guy on the offense that was a threat. He made his QB look better not the opposite. Frankly that's what worries me about Adams. Matthews isn't a "sexy" pick at 18, so maybe that's why people don't like him that high. But I think he's about a sure thing in this draft as they get. He offers everything you want in a WR. And an underrated thing that he brings to the table that no other WR offers is his intelligence and work ethic.
Heymangold

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthews ran a 4.46 forty while OBJ ran a 4.43 forty. don't think theres much of a difference in "breakaway speed" there. OBJ might posses more "quickness" but he isn't much superior in speed.

and matthews is 6'3'' 212lbs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heymangold wrote:
Matthews ran a 4.46 forty while OBJ ran a 4.43 forty. don't think theres much of a difference in "breakaway speed" there. OBJ might posses more "quickness" but he isn't much superior in speed.

Quickness matters. A lot.

N E W Y O R K J E T S
Heymangold

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skrILL wrote:
Heymangold wrote:

never said it didn't. lets all agree that if we draft Matthews, OBJ, Cooks, even Adams (which nobody seems to be talking about), we're in a better position then last year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heymangold wrote:
skrILL wrote:
Heymangold wrote:

never said it didn't. lets all agree that if we draft Matthews, OBJ, Cooks, even Adams (which nobody seems to be talking about), we're in a better position then last year.

And Lee.

N E W Y O R K J E T S
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you think a 6'3" 212lbs WR would be as quick as a WR who's under 6' and under 200lbs? Is Alshon Jeffrey as quick as DJax? No bc they're completely different WRs. You wanna knock Matthews quickness. If that's the case people can knock Cooks and OBJ lack to be able and get the ball being short. They can get best up at the line. Not great redzone targets. Just showing you that every WR brings something to the table.
skrILL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
Why would you think a 6'3" 212lbs WR would be as quick as a WR who's under 6' and under 200lbs? Is Alshon Jeffrey as quick as DJax? No bc they're completely different WRs. You wanna knock Matthews quickness. If that's the case people can knock Cooks and OBJ lack to be able and get the ball being short. They can get best up at the line. Not great redzone targets. Just showing you that every WR brings something to the table.

I'm not knocking Matthews quickness, I'm praising OBJ's. He has elite quickness.

N E W Y O R K J E T S

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: