Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brandin Cooks Vs. OBJ
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K-Ro 25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Brandin Cooks Vs. OBJ Reply with quote

Am I the only one enamored with both these players? While being undersized both player bigger than there size in the Steve Smith mold.

I see Cooks get the rep of only being a pure slot guy and a lot of comparisons with Tavon. While having the same joystick ability, Cooks doesn't need to play in space as much as Tavon, and can shine without gadget plays. Great production in college, ultra quick hips, and great hands.

OBJ looks special to me as well. Despite being 5'11 he gets balls at highest point and fights for balls.

Both these guys are elite athletes and I'd compare Cooks to Santana Moss and OBJ to Steve Smith.. what do you guys think of us grabbing one of these kids?

Would I be wrong to rate my top 5 WR's:

1. Watkins
2. Evans
3. OBJ
4. Matthews
5. Cooks

[Adopt-a-Jet: Braylon Edwards]
green24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are first round prospects and fine choices, but I'd take OBJ.

We have the same exact top 5.
K-Ro 25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Both are first round prospects and fine choices, but I'd take OBJ.

We have the same exact top 5.
Agreed. And smart minds think alike ha. I'm writing for CBS Sports for "The Jets Beat" if any of you guys are familiar with it. I have an article due about my top 5 and I'm pretty sure that's the list I'm going with.

KBS756

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Brandin Cooks Vs. OBJ Reply with quote

K-Ro 25 wrote:
Am I the only one enamored with both these players? While being undersized both player bigger than there size in the Steve Smith mold.

I see Cooks get the rep of only being a pure slot guy and a lot of comparisons with Tavon. While having the same joystick ability, Cooks doesn't need to play in space as much as Tavon, and can shine without gadget plays. Great production in college, ultra quick hips, and great hands.

OBJ looks special to me as well. Despite being 5'11 he gets balls at highest point and fights for balls.

Both these guys are elite athletes and I'd compare Cooks to Santana Moss and OBJ to Steve Smith.. what do you guys think of us grabbing one of these kids?

1. Watkins
2. Evans
3. OBJ
4. Matthews
5. Cooks

I like OBJ better because he can play big when he needs to. Cooks to us would be lower on my board due to the fact I think he's a faster version of a WR that would fit in Kerley's role I'm not too convinced about him playing on the outside and being effective ... we need a big bodied WR to be effective in the redzone.

Wish Kelvin Benjamin hadn't risen so far he woulda been a great late pickup for an instant redzone threat
K-Ro 25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else see Limas Sweed in Benjamin? Or is that just me? Slow hips.

skrILL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip-flop Matthews and Cooks and you have mine on the dot.

N E W Y O R K J E T S
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be happy with Cooks, Matthews, or OBJ. Matthews is still my favorite, but OBJ and Cooks can be great in this system.
Imarobot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Brandin Cooks Vs. OBJ Reply with quote

KBS756 wrote:
K-Ro 25 wrote:

1. Watkins
2. Evans
3. OBJ
4. Matthews
5. Cooks

I like OBJ better because he can play big when he needs to. Cooks to us would be lower on my board due to the fact I think he's a faster version of a WR that would fit in Kerley's role I'm not too convinced about him playing on the outside and being effective ... we need a big bodied WR to be effective in the redzone.

Wish Kelvin Benjamin hadn't risen so far he woulda been a great late pickup for an instant redzone threat

Interesting, I feel pretty much the exact opposite. To me Cooks seems like the more sure thing on the outside. He definitely seems the more likely out of the two to go up big for catches against defensive backs (he really plays a lot bigger than his size). Cooks easily has the better long speed that you want on the outside and OBJ has the elite acceleration and quickness you see in a lot of slot receivers.

I want to clarify that I don't think OBJ is a bad prospect and I think he'll be fine on the outside, I just happen to like Cooks more and think if you're going to compare them on the merit of playing bigger than their size than you have to give the nod to Cooks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBJ is only 5'11 but he plays bigger than that. He will be fine on the outside.
MP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You rarely ever see LSU WR's come into the league and become number one WR's. If were using a first round pick I want the guy that has the chance to be a legit game changer. I think OBJ is going to be a solid WR, but I think OBJ is getting massively over hyped now at this point.

Cooks on the other hand I loved all season long and now has a ton of buzz thanks to his combine. I see him in the mold of Jackson/Cruz/Smith, these guys all play on the outside and are legit WR's. I never understood why people see Cooks as a Kerley WR.

However with that being said, Marqise Lee would be my pick if we went WR in the first. However it will be interesting to see what Thomas McGaughey has to say about OBJ.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beckham and Cooks are right up there with Watkins. Beckham might have the strongest and some of the best hands in the draft. Not to mention his speed is really no slower than Watkins. I think Beckham might even be the best wide receiver in the class. I think Evans still has some issues that are attached to him. Whether it be his character or the fact that hes going to have a tough time adjusting to the nfl level. He has the size but he really isnt that strong and his speed isnt that great either. I think people are overrating Evans a little bit. If you watch him play, he has success after broken plays and hes had some big chunk plays as well.
jetskid007

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP wrote:
You rarely ever see LSU WR's come into the league and become number one WR's. If were using a first round pick I want the guy that has the chance to be a legit game changer. I think OBJ is going to be a solid WR, but I think OBJ is getting massively over hyped now at this point.

You can say this for most schools... it's not that often #1 receivers are discovered.

How many "#1's" have come out of some of the elite schools in recent history?
... Florida? - 1; Percy Harvin
... Alabama? - 1; Julio Jones (only Alabama WR in the NFL currently)
... Georgia? - 1; AJ Green
... Florida State? - 1; Anquan Boldin

The school that churn out the most WRs per year are probably Baylor and Tennessee; besides them it's rare to see a stud WR at certain schools perennially. While LSU hasn't produced an elite receiver yet, they've been sending a good amount of guys to the league (Bowe, Randle, LaFell all starters)
Bobby816

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If take OBJ over Cooks. Reason being that he is and plays bigger. He can play on the outside, when Cooks might only be strictly a slot guy, and we have Kerley.
KBS756

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDawg10 wrote:
Beckham and Cooks are right up there with Watkins. Beckham might have the strongest and some of the best hands in the draft. Not to mention his speed is really no slower than Watkins. I think Beckham might even be the best wide receiver in the class. I think Evans still has some issues that are attached to him. Whether it be his character or the fact that hes going to have a tough time adjusting to the nfl level. He has the size but he really isnt that strong and his speed isnt that great either. I think people are overrating Evans a little bit. If you watch him play, he has success after broken plays and hes had some big chunk plays as well.

Watkins looks like he comes outta his breaks faster to me on tape, and he's got a larger frame height and muscle wise. OBJ looks great on tape but to me he isn't on the same level as Watkins. Think OBJ ran a more complete route tree in college though so he will probably have an easier transition already having run many NFL routes
famousj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBJ = Steve Smith

Cooks = Emmanuel Sanders

Would rather have OBJ over Cooks.

My top 15 is :

1. Sammy Watkins * Top 5
2. Mike Evans * Top 10
3. Marquis Lee * #18 pick
4. Odell Beckham Jr. * #18 pick
5. Jordan Matthews * Trade down First
6. Brandin Cooks* Late First, Early Second
7. Allen Robinson * Second
8. Kelvin Benjamin * Second
9. Davante Adams * Second
10. Martavis Bryant * Second
11. Donte Moncrief * Second
12. Jarvis Landry * Second
13. Martavis Bryant * Late Second, Early Third
14. Jared Abbrederis * Third
15. Paul Richardson * Third

Props to Sandwich for Sig

Idzik: SPEND BABY SPEND!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: