Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Workin to get under the CAP: Cowboys Cuts / Restructures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
You seem to like to debate as much as Plan and Slam which is why y'all have such heated banter back and forth. Realist vs. Optimist. So are you an CPA/Attorney/Banking? My point was that the sports jocks are paid to learn about the salary cap especially since they cover the Cowboys 350 days a year. I'm not saying that your wrong or right or that I'm wrong or right, but Cowboys have had issues with the cap for as long as I can remember. And after 3 years of 8-8 something has to change at Valley Ranch(cap,draft) if they want to make it over the hump, and back into the playoffs.

Sports Jocks are paid to increase viewership (readership, listners, ad revenue, etc). Some are better at marketing, some are better at understanding different aspects of football.

I am a financial planner and the branch director of an advisory office.

Last question - and really think about it - over the last ~10 years, how many times have the Cowboys *really* been so tight against the cap they havent been able to make moves?

Now, think about how much the media parades that we are in cap trouble...

Can a cap stricken team give out the roughly ~600M in contracts that we have the last 6 years? Have we really been so under water that we havent been players in FA most years?

Perception =/= reality

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
buckwild wrote:
You seem to like to debate as much as Plan and Slam which is why y'all have such heated banter back and forth. Realist vs. Optimist. So are you an CPA/Attorney/Banking? My point was that the sports jocks are paid to learn about the salary cap especially since they cover the Cowboys 350 days a year. I'm not saying that your wrong or right or that I'm wrong or right, but Cowboys have had issues with the cap for as long as I can remember. And after 3 years of 8-8 something has to change at Valley Ranch(cap,draft) if they want to make it over the hump, and back into the playoffs.

Sports Jocks are paid to increase viewership (readership, listners, ad revenue, etc). Some are better at marketing, some are better at understanding different aspects of football.

I am a financial planner and the branch director of an advisory office.

Last question - and really think about it - over the last ~10 years, how many times have the Cowboys *really* been so tight against the cap they havent been able to make moves?

Now, think about how much the media parades that we are in cap trouble...

Can a cap stricken team give out the roughly ~600M in contracts that we have the last 6 years? Have we really been so under water that we havent been players in FA most years?

Perception =/= reality

Seems like the last several years the team has been in cap trouble but yet when have we not been able to extend/get guys we wanted?

It wasn't that long ago that Stephen was being hailed as a cap genius...

^^^Deadpulse
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:

Seems like the last several years the team has been in cap trouble but yet when have we not been able to extend/get guys we wanted?

Thats my point. Every year media and fans have a huge freak out fest over the cap. But when was the last time we really couldnt do what we want?

Last year when we signed Romo and Lee to extensions, and free agents Spencer and Waters?

The Year before when we signed Carr to a $50M contract, and signed Spencer to a 8M deal?

The year before that when we cut the dead weight from Roy Williams, Adams, Colombo, Guorode (etc, etc), resigned some of our mid teir guy... AND offered $50m to Namdi A?

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

Thats my point. Every year media and fans have a huge freak out fest over the cap. But when was the last time we really couldnt do what we want?

Yup. The sky is always falling, apparently.

Frankly, I don't care if Jerry spends all his money so long as we are still able to get critical components if we so choose. I like an aggressive owner. And all the gloom and doom talk of the future has yet to transpire, so why the hell would I concern myself with fan-made-fiction that may never come to fruition?

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

Yup. The sky is always falling, apparently.

Frankly, I don't care if Jerry spends all his money so long as we are still able to get critical components if we so choose. I like an aggressive owner. And all the gloom and doom talk of the future has yet to transpire, so why the hell would I concern myself with fan-made-fiction that may never come to fruition?

And I think if FFMD has shown anything, it's that we're more than okay cap wise - and we were working with about $5MM less than what the Cowboys are IRL.

^^^Deadpulse
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying that Jerry is a great owner and poor GM is pretty true but most people have the idea that Jerry is randomly going off and making senseless decisions.

After a fair amount of research, I believe the phrase means the exact opposite of what most people think. Jerry seems to simply accede to his coach's wishes. Coach says "I want so and so" and Jerry makes it happen. The only thing that flies in the face of this, really, is the TO acquisition. Everything else points to coach says jump and Jerry says "how high?"

Which makes him a bad GM! but for reasons opposite to what most think. what's really happening, IMO, Is that every coach has been, pretty much, their own GM, and that's why the team has appeared so schizophrenic under Jerry..
buckwild

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

Last year when we signed Romo and Lee to extensions, and free agents Spencer and Waters?

The Year before when we signed Carr to a $50M contract, and signed Spencer to a 8M deal?

The year before that when we cut the dead weight from Roy Williams, Adams, Colombo, Guorode (etc, etc), resigned some of our mid teir guy... AND offered $50m to Namdi A?

I understand what you are saying because about the freak out fest, but there is some merit as how much do the Cowboys average almost every year in dead money. That is where they get in trouble is having all this dead money that they can maneuver around to offer contracts to players. I don't think anyone is a cap genius. Continuing to do things the same way, and expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dead money has been decreasing steadily for the last several years and would've ben very minor indeed this year were it not for ratliff's malfeasance, which accounts for about 60% of it.

2915 dead money: zero, at the moment. Austin may incur some if he is designated Jun 1, but I think there's a fair chance he is released outright instead.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
The dead money has been decreasing steadily for the last several years and would've ben very minor indeed this year were it not for ratliff's malfeasance, which accounts for about 60% of it.

2915 dead money: zero, at the moment. Austin may incur some if he is designated Jun 1, but I think there's a fair chance he is released outright instead.

Don't worry. We have nearly a century to incur some dead money by then.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
buckwild

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Cowboys decide to cut ties with these players before June 1st

Dead money:
Austin-8 million
Ware-8.5 million
Orton-3.3 million

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
RHS Ocho Cinco

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

Don't worry. We have nearly a century to incur some dead money by then.

* millenium

(I only had to point out your error, since you beat me to pointing out his)

But, if we seriously have zero dead money on the books for 2015 right now, that's surprising.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:

your right. Actually there is 0 dead money from the 900 years between the 2015 season and 2915.

Good job Jerry! No mortgaged future for 900 years. Peace and love and hugs and beer for erreybody.

plan9misfit wrote:

Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:

Dead money:
Austin-8 million
Ware-8.5 million
Orton-3.3 million

Austins will be there, no doubt in my mind. The only way its not is if he takes a *Huge* pay cut.

Same with ware, though I think it goes 1. Paycut => 2. Trade => 3. Cut.

Orton might retire, and I honestly dont know how that works for the cap?

plan9misfit wrote:

matt79511

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RHS Ocho Cinco wrote:

But, if we seriously have zero dead money on the books for 2015 right now, that's surprising.

I don't think any team does. Any post June 1 cut last year would've only counted towards the 2014 cap.

It's possible they'll avoid having to make any such cuts this year, and it's true there wouldn't be nearly as much this year if Ratliff hadn't... yeah. But cutting Austin post June 1 does remain likely.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
buckwild wrote:

Dead money:
Austin-8 million
Ware-8.5 million
Orton-3.3 million

Austins will be there, no doubt in my mind. The only way its not is if he takes a *Huge* pay cut.

Same with ware, though I think it goes 1. Paycut => 2. Trade => 3. Cut.

Orton might retire, and I honestly dont know how that works for the cap?

I read somewhere that Orton would have to pay back around $3mil if he retires...so I doubt that he will retire.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 7 of 19

Jump to: