Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Workin to get under the CAP: Cowboys Cuts / Restructures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
buckwild wrote:
If the Cowboys decide to cut ties with these players before June 1st

Dead money:
Austin-8 million
Ware-8.5 million
Orton-3.3 million

Austins will be there, no doubt in my mind. The only way its not is if he takes a *Huge* pay cut.

Same with ware, though I think it goes 1. Paycut => 2. Trade => 3. Cut.

Orton might retire, and I honestly dont know how that works for the cap?

If Ware plays ball, I think Austin will be cut outright. They want room in 2015, more than this year.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
buckwild wrote:
If the Cowboys decide to cut ties with these players before June 1st

Dead money:
Austin-8 million
Ware-8.5 million
Orton-3.3 million

Austins will be there, no doubt in my mind. The only way its not is if he takes a *Huge* pay cut.

Same with ware, though I think it goes 1. Paycut => 2. Trade => 3. Cut.

Orton might retire, and I honestly dont know how that works for the cap?

If Ware plays ball, I think Austin will be cut outright. They want room in 2015, more than this year.
cowboyfanin2890

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When have we been so tight against the cap that we could not put a complete team on the field? Last year. I could care less about the big name guys that we sign, almost every team signs them I want to be able to sign 3-5 role players/veterans that will add much needed depth to our team. I want to look at last year and say, ok you think our D-line looks good, but lets throw a few million at Mike Bennett. Seattles D-line was awesome but adding depth put them over to the great side. We are never in position to grab that last free agent who decides to take a "prove it deal" at the end of free agency. Lets sign Smith and Bryant and while we are at it lets sign some street free agents to finish filling out our roster, which unless they are D-lineman they ain'ta gonna get good coaching.
bigDallasFan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboys fans you want a KR man, well good news, pro bowl KR Devin Hester is now a FA. Dallas has been trying to have a return threat for about 5 seasons now. So far, they have little success at finding a mainstay at that position. Hester would be a good fit with Dallas sporting a brand new #23 jersey. Suit up, Cowboy fans Hester could be coming to Big D. Lets be honest, Dallas hasn't had a return threat since Prime Time left town.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Dwayne Harris is pretty good, last year he was 2nd to Patterson in KR/PR yards... He's young and still cheap and is the beast of our special teams unit.. And we've been slowly cuttiing old players, Hester's up there in age.
bigDallasFan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrolock wrote:
^Dwayne Harris is pretty good, last year he was 2nd to Patterson in KR/PR yards... He's young and still cheap and is the beast of our special teams unit.. And we've been slowly cuttiing old players, Hester's up there in age.
Yeah but he's best KR we've seen since PRIME TIME. I think Jerry is gonna meet with Hester on Tuesday or Thursday. I hear Tampa Bay is the 1st team he will visit though. He said so on Sportscenter.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigDallasFan wrote:
Cowboys fans you want a KR man, well good news, pro bowl KR Devin Hester is now a FA. Dallas has been trying to have a return threat for about 5 seasons now. So far, they have little success at finding a mainstay at that position. Hester would be a good fit with Dallas sporting a brand new #23 jersey. Suit up, Cowboy fans Hester could be coming to Big D. Lets be honest, Dallas hasn't had a return threat since Prime Time left town.

We're going to be pretty tight against the cap, and I would rather spend the money that we have on areas of need rather than luxury. In fact, Harris was 2nd in the NFL in KR average and 3rd in PR average. I don't think we need Hester

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigDallasFan wrote:

We don't have the money to offer to get Hester. That's the problem with the way the morons on our team "manage" the cap. #livingoncreditcards,yo

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
We don't have the money to offer to get Hester. That's the problem with the way the morons on our team "manage" the cap. #livingoncreditcards,yo

a: I noticed you never responded to me regarding this...

b: Would you want to even sign Hester?

I for one would not. This is the exact opposite of what we need to do. An aging kick returner who has had decreased production will not significantly boost this team. Even if we had $25M in cap space, this would still be the type of dumb signing that would hinder us in more important places.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

a: I noticed you never responded to me regarding this...

I never saw your comment asking me about that. Sorry about that.

Quote:
b: Would you want to even sign Hester?

I for one would not. This is the exact opposite of what we need to do. An aging kick returner who has had decreased production will not significantly boost this team. Even if we had $25M in cap space, this would still be the type of dumb signing that would hinder us in more important places.

I agree with you. Hester would be a luxury signing, but his contract size and age in the latter part of the deal would likely result in being a long-term progress stopper because we both know that we wouldn't look to replace him until he's way past the point where he should be cut, and the money would be too much to where we couldn't bring someone else in at a much bigger area of need.

The only way I'd consider signing a guy like Hester would be if we were like Oakland and have $60+ million in cap space. And the reason they're in that position is because the team has spent the last 2 years literally purging all of its albatross contracts to avoid continually living in the same kind of cap hell that we enjoy wallowing in.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
bigDallasFan wrote:

We're going to be pretty tight against the cap, and I would rather spend the money that we have on areas of need rather than luxury. In fact, Harris was 2nd in the NFL in KR average and 3rd in PR average. I don't think we need Hester

But Harris did that in fewer appearances. Easy to have high averages when you have limited return numbers.

But besides that...doesn't make sense to spend on a KR guy. Al lthese changes to the KR, and talk of removing it altogether, kind of makes spending for a guy like Hester an obsolete point.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
bigDallasFan wrote:

But Harris did that in fewer appearances. Easy to have high averages when you have limited return numbers.

But besides that...doesn't make sense to spend on a KR guy. Al lthese changes to the KR, and talk of removing it altogether, kind of makes spending for a guy like Hester an obsolete point.

Give me Trindon Holliday.

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboys cut Costa and "re-worked" the contract of Bernadeau. I find it interesting that people are being careful to use that term instead of restructure. Wonder if they extended him to lower his cap hit for this year?

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Cowboys cut Costa and "re-worked" the contract of Bernadeau. I find it interesting that people are being careful to use that term instead of restructure. Wonder if they extended him to lower his cap hit for this year?

That's what I would do. He makes an ok starter and quality backup. He's 28. Linemen last awhile. You can get about $2m back this way. Wins all around.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blogging The Boys ‏@BloggingTheBoys 39m
Quote:
RT @toddarcher Cowboys didn't restructure Bernadeau. He took paycut but picked up $2m in g'tees over next 2 yrs. Lowered cap figure in 14-15

He took a paycut? SWEET.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 8 of 19

Jump to: