Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you make the Trade.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you make the Trade
YES
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
NO
53%
 53%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 15

Author Message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 26975
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bling bling, money ain't a thing Wink .
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 7148
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
What about a trade up into the higher 20's and grab Brandin Cooks? I think he could be an excellent pick for your offense.

You wouldn't be giving up a boatload of picks to move up into the top 10, but getting a player that while not on the same level as Watkins, is very explosive in his own right.


Certainly possible, especially with us needing a deep threat. However, at this point we have no glaring needs as long as Whitner is re-signed as well.


With Boldin's return, I'd love Cooks or Beckham Jr. to round out our offense.


Give me Beckham over Cooks every day of the week, twice on Sunday. Cooks is starting to get Tavon Austin type overhype. Peter King was saying he's pretty much a lock to go to the Jets at 18. I wouldn't touch him until our 2nd rounders, much less trade up to take him. I'd trade up to take Beckham though, because I think that's a guy who the Panthers might end up targeting, too.


I wouldn't go that far; Cooks has perhaps the best hands in the draft this year, and he is a very good route runner. He's obviously a burner. The biggest question is whether he can pull a Steve Smith/D-Jax and survive on the outside or if he's going to be strictly a slot receiver, which may mute some of his game breaking ability in the vertical game. Like Beckham, he can also help in the return game if necessary.

I still have Beckham slightly higher than Cooks, but it's definitely not by much.
_________________


Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AMG1713


Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Posts: 604
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:


I wouldn't go that far; Cooks has perhaps the best hands in the draft this year, and he is a very good route runner. He's obviously a burner. The biggest question is whether he can pull a Steve Smith/D-Jax and survive on the outside or if he's going to be strictly a slot receiver, which may mute some of his game breaking ability in the vertical game. Like Beckham, he can also help in the return game if necessary.

I still have Beckham slightly higher than Cooks, but it's definitely not by much.


Eh... Cooks' hands are meh to me. I mean they're good, but he hardly seems to make any tough catches. It's hard for me to say they're the best in this draft class. Watching him, he kinda reminds me of Dante Hall. He just seems like all explosion and open field moves. I don't really know how his WR skills are going to translate in the NFL since he seems to get a bulk of his catches on quick screens and rub routes. He reminds me more of Wes Welker than Steve Smith or Desean Jackson.

Beckham, on the other hand, is a virtual clone of Victor Cruz to me.
_________________
BoosterRooster22 wrote:
I'd bet my house that JaMarcus Russell has a successful career
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 7148
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
Forge wrote:


I wouldn't go that far; Cooks has perhaps the best hands in the draft this year, and he is a very good route runner. He's obviously a burner. The biggest question is whether he can pull a Steve Smith/D-Jax and survive on the outside or if he's going to be strictly a slot receiver, which may mute some of his game breaking ability in the vertical game. Like Beckham, he can also help in the return game if necessary.

I still have Beckham slightly higher than Cooks, but it's definitely not by much.


Eh... Cooks' hands are meh to me. I mean they're good, but he hardly seems to make any tough catches. It's hard for me to say they're the best in this draft class. Watching him, he kinda reminds me of Dante Hall. He just seems like all explosion and open field moves. I don't really know how his WR skills are going to translate in the NFL since he seems to get a bulk of his catches on quick screens and rub routes. He reminds me more of Wes Welker than Steve Smith or Desean Jackson.

Beckham, on the other hand, is a virtual clone of Victor Cruz to me.


Kudos on the Dante Hall name drop Laughing I will agree that Beckham is far more likely to make the spectacular catch. I do think Cooks has a very high floor though. I could see him providing Kenny Stills type production his rookie year which would have value for us. At worst he's going to be a good slot guy with occasional vertical value once he acclimates after a year or two. I prefer Beckham but wouldn't be upset with taking a shot at Cooks.
_________________


Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 14007
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
What about a trade up into the higher 20's and grab Brandin Cooks? I think he could be an excellent pick for your offense.

You wouldn't be giving up a boatload of picks to move up into the top 10, but getting a player that while not on the same level as Watkins, is very explosive in his own right.


It might not take much to get him. So sure, that's a possibility. The guy I always thought was in range that I wanted was Evans. But his 40 time in the combine, and the hands he showed, might have been enough to move him up 5 or 6 places. And that might be enough to move him out of our range.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 14007
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
What about a trade up into the higher 20's and grab Brandin Cooks? I think he could be an excellent pick for your offense.

You wouldn't be giving up a boatload of picks to move up into the top 10, but getting a player that while not on the same level as Watkins, is very explosive in his own right.


Certainly possible, especially with us needing a deep threat. However, at this point we have no glaring needs as long as Whitner is re-signed as well.


With Boldin's return, I'd love Cooks or Beckham Jr. to round out our offense.


Since this thread in kind of about a "bold move" trade I'm thinking about a different one, and one that would not be nearly as expensive as Watkins. With Boldin now locked up perhaps we should target a WR a little lower. So how about bundling some picks to move up to get Justing Gilbert. Just as Watkins stood out to me as being head and shoulders better than the other WRs, Gilbert looked head and shoulder better than the other CBs. If he went in the 10 to 12 range, what would it take to move up that far, and would that be a trade anyone here would consider?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 7148
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
What about a trade up into the higher 20's and grab Brandin Cooks? I think he could be an excellent pick for your offense.

You wouldn't be giving up a boatload of picks to move up into the top 10, but getting a player that while not on the same level as Watkins, is very explosive in his own right.


Certainly possible, especially with us needing a deep threat. However, at this point we have no glaring needs as long as Whitner is re-signed as well.


With Boldin's return, I'd love Cooks or Beckham Jr. to round out our offense.


Since this thread in kind of about a "bold move" trade I'm thinking about a different one, and one that would not be nearly as expensive as Watkins. With Boldin now locked up perhaps we should target a WR a little lower. So how about bundling some picks to move up to get Justing Gilbert. Just as Watkins stood out to me as being head and shoulders better than the other WRs, Gilbert looked head and shoulder better than the other CBs. If he went in the 10 to 12 range, what would it take to move up that far, and would that be a trade anyone here would consider?


I haven't been big on Gilbert all off season, but his combine was rather impressive. I still wish he had better feet though. I think a lot of his flaws are coachable, and he could really help out on special teams. I wonder if he could play the slot? It's one of the reasons I really like Verrett and Joyner for us even though they don't fit our bigger cornerback desires; we could really use some loose and quick slot corners.

My question is, with a cornerback class this deep, is it worth it to move up for a guy who isn't heads and shoulders (to some) above the rest of the cornerback class. If we really like him, I'd be okay with a move into the 16-20 range (I know his stock has gone up, but looking at the draft order, can you really see a team "have to have him" fit for Gilbert? I really don't, so I expect him to go somewhere in that range). I think if we like him, and think we can work with him, that would be a good, not too expensive move up.

I really wish that Evans wouldn't have had such a good combine...I really wanted to get him in the late teens. I think he's got to be a viable candidate for Detroit, Tennessee, St. Louis in the top 13, and if he falls through those cracks, I don't see anyway in which he lasts past Pittsburgh.
_________________


Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 14007
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
What about a trade up into the higher 20's and grab Brandin Cooks? I think he could be an excellent pick for your offense.

You wouldn't be giving up a boatload of picks to move up into the top 10, but getting a player that while not on the same level as Watkins, is very explosive in his own right.


Certainly possible, especially with us needing a deep threat. However, at this point we have no glaring needs as long as Whitner is re-signed as well.


With Boldin's return, I'd love Cooks or Beckham Jr. to round out our offense.


Since this thread in kind of about a "bold move" trade I'm thinking about a different one, and one that would not be nearly as expensive as Watkins. With Boldin now locked up perhaps we should target a WR a little lower. So how about bundling some picks to move up to get Justing Gilbert. Just as Watkins stood out to me as being head and shoulders better than the other WRs, Gilbert looked head and shoulder better than the other CBs. If he went in the 10 to 12 range, what would it take to move up that far, and would that be a trade anyone here would consider?


I haven't been big on Gilbert all off season, but his combine was rather impressive. I still wish he had better feet though. I think a lot of his flaws are coachable, and he could really help out on special teams. I wonder if he could play the slot? It's one of the reasons I really like Verrett and Joyner for us even though they don't fit our bigger cornerback desires; we could really use some loose and quick slot corners.

My question is, with a cornerback class this deep, is it worth it to move up for a guy who isn't heads and shoulders (to some) above the rest of the cornerback class. If we really like him, I'd be okay with a move into the 16-20 range (I know his stock has gone up, but looking at the draft order, can you really see a team "have to have him" fit for Gilbert? I really don't, so I expect him to go somewhere in that range). I think if we like him, and think we can work with him, that would be a good, not too expensive move up.

I really wish that Evans wouldn't have had such a good combine...I really wanted to get him in the late teens. I think he's got to be a viable candidate for Detroit, Tennessee, St. Louis in the top 13, and if he falls through those cracks, I don't see anyway in which he lasts past Pittsburgh.


You're right. I didn't mean to suggest that Gilbert is as much better than every other CB as I think Watkins is ahread of the other WRs. But after the combine he has climbed up a bit. The consensus now seems to have him around 10 or so, with Dennard back in the teens. Again, I have no way of judging which is better or how close it is. But if we think either of them is a future solid starting CB for us, with maybe pro bowl potential then I'd be happy to see us move up for whichever one that is.

With Q now is the fold the only other signing that impacts how I think about the draft is Whitner. If he happens to go, or we think he's only here for a year, then Pryor moves way up my list of guys I want, probably all the way to the head of that list.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 26975
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking, if we are planning on losing Crabtree next year, I wouldn't mind this trade. The team usually knows ahead of time who will stay, and who will leave. If sbrown said he's going to be an elite WR for years to come, we could afford to take the risk on him. If we re-sign Whitner and address the CB position in FA, we have no immediate needs.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group