Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you make the Trade.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you make the Trade
YES
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
NO
53%
 53%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 15

niner4ever

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Would you make the Trade. Reply with quote

I would love to see the Niners make a Falcon style trade. Give up our 1st and two seconds possibly a pick next year to the Raiders to gain Sammy Watkins. The Raiders need a lot of help and in this deep draft might go for it. Crabs, Boldin, Watkins and Patton. Not to mention Davis. Those Seachickens wouldn't stand a chance.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting question, but is Watkins on the level of a Jones/Green/Johnson? Honestly, we are a team with not many needs and if we feel he is the missing piece, then why not? But remember, we will have Boldin back most likely so Watkins will be our 3rd WR this year. I mean maybe this allows us to let Crabtree go if he asks for top 10 money. The depth of this year's draft will still allow us to pick up a fine CB in the 3rd round with the Titans pick.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my thinking as well. But for the Last three years we have been one big play away from the next step. If we have Watkins maybe he makes that play. If he allows us to win even just one superbowl. It would be worth much more in my eyes. Plus as you said with the depth we can find all the other needs.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what the falcons gave up? No way would I do that. They thought they were already there, it helped for a season and then boom. Draft picks are too valuable to give that many away for one guy IMO

I also don't think Watkins is on Aj and Julio's level

new sig... sorry alex
niner4ever

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point. However the last couple years with exception of Reid our picks have done next to nothing. The Falcons had not even won a playoff game when they did it. They really were not that close. I feel we have passed on so many big play players that if we did this he would get us over the hump. After three straight NFC title games and a Superbowl. This team has the defense we just need that big fast playmaker to put us over the top. We would be giving up a lot but I'm a firm believer in quality over quantity. Thanks for your opinion happy to hear it. Just hope we can get a playmaker somewhere.

Last edited by niner4ever on Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
big9erfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Very interesting question, but is Watkins on the level of a Jones/Green/Johnson? Honestly, we are a team with not many needs and if we feel he is the missing piece, then why not? But remember, we will have Boldin back most likely so Watkins will be our 3rd WR this year. I mean maybe this allows us to let Crabtree go if he asks for top 10 money. The depth of this year's draft will still allow us to pick up a fine CB in the 3rd round with the Titans pick.

This is exactly how I feel about it. I don't know if Watkins will be as good as Jones/Green/Johnson, but I do think he's the best I've seen since those guys. For us to make a meaningful improvement we need to make a meaningful change - like adding a great WR do an offense that is one of the worst passing offenses in the league. I know we won't become one of the leading pass offenses because we don't throw the ball enough. But for two years straight now we've come up short at the end because of our inability to complete a pass when we needed to. If it meant winning a SB I'd gladly give up a few picks to get him. Will it make that kind of difference is hard to say.

Besides as you say, in my mind there's less than a 50-50 chance we will be able to retain Crabs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't watch enough college football to say this guy is better then this guy or that, but he is impressive. If he ends up becoming just as good of a player as Jones, I'd make that trade for sure. Why? Because we have a lot of depth and players coming in like Carradine/Lattimore that will be basically like high draft picks this upcoming season. I would NOT give up a 1st rounder this year and one next year along with a 2nd rounder though. I'm specifically referring to the trade that was presented on the OP.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do it if Watkins was taller. I wouldn't pay that much for someone who is more like Percy Harvin than like Calvin Johnson. He's electrifying for sure, but there are areas of his game that will be diminished in the NFL, whereas with the likes of Johnson and AJ Green, there's simply nothing that can be done to defend them. They're taller, jump higher, have longer arms, wider catch radius and can use that verticality to achieve more. He won't be nearly the same redzone threat the bigger guys are. I see him as a cross between Harvin and Crabtree, really. He's gonna be an excellent player, but I don't think he'd give us the same value as the picks we'd trade to get him.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be opposed to it. With the way we've been drafting WRs, outside of Crabtree, this may be the best move. I was thinking that if Sammy is still available at Tampa's pick we could send them a package of our 1st + 2nd (from KC) + 3rd + 7th + 3rd (2015) + 5th (2015) as well as Carlos Rogers to move up and grab him. I know I'm going to get some grief for trying to dump Rogers on the Bucs, but if you really look at it, the trade would really be beneficial to Tampa. The Bucs have over 24 million dollars in cap space, and other than Revis (who is already being mentioned in trade rumors) they don't really have much for quality corners, which I feel Rogers still is. Maybe that still wouldn't be enough, but for a building team like Tampa I think that they'd love to have the extra picks early in the draft as well as a proven starter to add to their already very solid secondary. All in all I'd be very happy if we moved up for either Sammy or Mike Evans.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
Forge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds good in theory, but games aren't played on paper. This is the kind of deal I would make in FFMD...but less inclined to see it actually carried out in real life. I like moving up in the draft, but I like the way Baalke does it. I'd like to see us move into the teens somewhere; a slot that won't break our draft bank.

We are sitting in a really good position in this draft especially considering the positions we are looking to fill happen to be very deep this year. Watkins is undoubtedly the best of a very good class, but so much better that we should potentially sacrifice 4 very good to elite prospects? That I have my doubts on. Prior to the combine, I though Evans was going to go in the 15 - 18 range and I thought he'd be a perfect guy to trade up for; wouldn't break the bank and he provides assets that we desperately need. Now, I doubt he even makes it to Pittsburgh. Detroit, Tennessee, and St. Louis are all viable candidates to take him in the top 15. If he manages to get through there without being picked, no way he falls past Pittsburgh.

I don't put Sammy in the class of receivers like Julio, Green, Megatron, or honestly, even Dez. Is he going to be extremely good? Yes, I think so. But also, and I've brought this up before, I have serious doubts on whether or not we would get the most out of him and what he brings to the game. Think Tavon Austin with the Rams last year; that was nearly a disaster. They didn't utilize his talents whatsoever it seemed like. To me, Evans was actually the better fit given what we need on the offense; vertical threat (long strides, good vertical speed), and legitimate red zone target (aggressive as crap going after that ball). There is no way to know how much or how well that Watkins would assimilate into the offense given the kind of scheme we run, or how much use we would get out of him.

Honestly, we aren't a "gamebreaker" away from a super bowl. We are already there; we've had some rotten luck and some poor decisions, but in any of those three games that we have lost the last 3 years, did you look at our team and think that we couldn't win the super bowl? I feel the same way here. We really don't need someone to "put us over the top". That's really not the way it works. Adding Watkins doesn't suddenly push us way over the Seahawks (especially considering that theoretically, they'll be getting Harvin for the full year). So why sacrifice that much talent and roster depth for it? Roster depth is incredibly important; just ask the Falcons, as someone else said.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
sbrown

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well to compare him to CJ is unfair. CJ is the highest rated wr to ever come out. but if I were ranking wrs over the last 4 seasons, watkins would only be behind AJ and Dez, on par with julio and higher than crabs,austin,blackmon. Watkins is a vertual clone of julio although julio has 2 inches on him. but Watkins is a deep ball as well as a redzone threat even at 6'1.

But considering the price tag I strongly believe Donte Moncrief in the 2nd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit difficult to pair them now, because we've seen what Julio can do in the NFL. However, trying to remember what I thought of Julio when he was coming out, I would say him and Watkins are very close. With that being said, I wouldn't pull the trigger. There's nothing in our offensive game planning that shows we would use Watkins to his full potential, so I wouldn't want to risk that many picks on him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do it. I don't really know what to expect from Sammy Watkins. I'm sure he'll be a fine player, but I don't really think he'll be elite.
Molecular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
I wouldn't do it. I don't really know what to expect from Sammy Watkins. I'm sure he'll be a fine player, but I don't really think he'll be elite.

Nailed it. Yes this is a very deep draft, but many of the players do not look like they could be all-time greats.*

*Yes, I'm aware it's ridiculous to judge a player before they've even been drafted.
sbrown

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make no mistake, sammy will be a top 10 wr in this league and that is something we need. If it took 2 first rounders I would do it. We havent had any of our recent first rounders dominate and we havent had an elite we drafted either. Sammy is every bit the prospect Dez bryant was and I had dez rated higher than julio. But Dez and sammy and similar size but sammy is much quicker and every bit the leaper.

We cant say what our offense is or isnt without the knowing what it would look like with a wr of sammy or (julio or dez bryants) talents. We dont have that right now. But considering our passing attack was pathetic in the '11 and '13 NFCCG and didnt have enough weapons in the SB, adding 2 late first round picks like aj jenkins doesnt change that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: