Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Knockin' on Valhalla's Door
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 75, 76, 77  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hsmith22 wrote:
i read an older article yesterday about the vikings old owner red mccombs. he really wanted a new stadium but the politicians wouldnt let him get one. i think it would be cool to have him blow the horn before one of the games...to celebrate something that he wasnt able to get in his time here

Yea...no.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red McC was so cheap that in hiring Mike Tice as Head Coach, and paying him the 32nd highest coaching salary in the league, he also had to hamstring Tice by not allowing him to have a separate Offensive Coordinator. the offensive line coach had to be the coordinator too.

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red McCombs used the Rachel Phelps strategy of ownership.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hsmith22 wrote:
i read an older article yesterday about the vikings old owner red mccombs. he really wanted a new stadium but the politicians wouldnt let him get one. i think it would be cool to have him blow the horn before one of the games...to celebrate something that he wasnt able to get in his time here

"My purpose will not be denied."
- Teddy Bridgewater 9/1/16
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing McCombs did right while he was here was to sell the team to Zygi Wilf.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta get Fran Tarkenton and John Randle in to blow the horn this year.
PurplePesci

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virginia Viking wrote:
hsmith22 wrote:

Yea...no.

Red McCombs makes me want to punch puppies so like Virginia said.....no
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these years later, Randy Moss still revs up Minnesota Vikings fans like no other. Twelve years after his last full season with the Vikings, Moss returned to Minneapolis as an ESPN analyst for the team’s Monday night game against the New York Giants, 15 years after he lit up the Giants for three TDs in a Monday night game during his playing days. And he had a surprise role in the pregame introductions that proved just that.

The Vikings have a giant gjallahorn in the upper deck at the gleaming new U.S. Bank Stadium, and they feature a guest to blow the horn before kickoff each week. As fans craned their necks to see who this week’s guest was, Moss appeared, arms thrust out wide to soak in another thunderous roar.

Moss had a checkered history in Minnesota, filled with highlight reel plays and spattered with controversies along the way. But he remains easily one of the most popular figures locally in Vikings history and is largely responsible for the team’s surge in popularity during his 17-touchdown rookie season.

His last season in Minnesota ended after a clash with coach Brad Childress in 2010, but his No. 84 jersey can be seen in the stands as often as any active Vikings player, maybe outside of Adrian Peterson. And Moss returns the love right back, high-fiving fans in the stands during commercial breaks.

"I know it's going to be fun to be back," Moss said earlier this week, "and see these boys remain undefeated."

http://pro32.ap.org/article/randy-moss-makes-surprise-pregame-appearance-vikings-corner

Was listening to a radio podcast from yesterday which was saying the applause for Moss was arguably as loud as any in-game moment. Pretty incredible.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravens wide receiver Mike Wallace was fined $9,115 for a taunting penalty in last week’s loss to the Raiders. The penalty was costly to his team, too. Wallace caught a two-point conversion pass to put the Ravens up 27-21 in the fourth quarter, then was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct after he spiked the ball in the direction of Raiders defenders.

The penalty cost the Ravens 15 yards on the ensuing kickoff. Justin Tucker then had to kick from his own 20-yard line, and the Raiders started what became the game-winning drive from their 34.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/07/wallace-fined-for-taunting-call-that-cost-the-ravens-too/

PurplePesci

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the right thread for this

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2016/10/07/report-says-christian-ponder-is-gaining-support-of-49ers-locker-room/

Could be a 2nd chance for him. He's athletic enough to run Kellys scheme.
Boda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
It's clear he's not old enough to have been aware of Red McCombs' ownership to know that that would be an absolutely terrible idea.

Purple Pride, Purple Pride!

FWIW hsmith, Red McCombs continually threatened to move the team to San Antonio or Los Angeles for the great majority of his ownership if he didn't get a new stadium. The only reason that he didn't move it is because he couldn't get out of the lease, which was ironclad as compared to most leases(as the Commissioner at the time the Metrodome was built guaranteed in writing that the team would play there as long as the lease lasted). It wasn't a question of him being the owner at the wrong time, it was the problem of him being the owner at all.

He was a terrible owner as he ran it on a shoestring budget once it was clear that he wasn't going to get a new stadium, like a pouting child. Needless to say, I'm glad they didn't give it to him, because this stadium is much nicer than anything he would have built.

Lets hope this is the case.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At halftime of Sunday’s game, the Vikings held a re-induction ceremony for their Ring of Honor to establish the decades-long tradition in their new home. There were 12 of 21 members on hand to take in the festivities, including former head coach Bud Grant and fan-favorite Cris Carter.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/10-Observations-from-the-Vikings-Win-over-the-Texans/d3662669-d3ed-48b6-8b6d-7781ad181f40?sf38435735=1

disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Ravens ended last Sunday’s loss to the Raiders without either of their starting offensive tackles and they made a move on Tuesday to insure they’ll have enough healthy bodies on the offensive line for this week’s visit to the Giants.

The team announced that they have signed guard Vladimir Ducasse to the 53-man roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/11/ravens-sign-vladimir-ducasse-place-sheldon-price-on-ir/

Thx to Lil Uno!
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Voice of the Vikings, Paul Allen, recently sat down with soon-to-be Hall of Fame WR Randy Moss to talk about his transition to a broadcaster, his thoughts on U.S. Bank Stadium, his fondest memories as a Viking, competing against Brett Favre, what Dennis Green meant to his career, his time in New England, the 2016 Vikings' defense and more.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Moss-on-His-Career-Favre-Brady-This-Years-Team/4f396957-eebc-4128-8cdf-bd56177b7ba4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moss: “The Vikings are heading in the right direction. How far they go, I don’t know, but I like what I see. I haven’t seen a Minnesota defense this fun to watch."

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Randy-Moss-Vikings-Have-to-Embrace-Opportunity-for-Success/9de242e2-7754-4c1b-b529-115306457043?sf38693839=1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 68 of 77

Jump to: